Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,710 Members 39,367 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T-Mobile and AT&T versions

Tip us?

lambada24
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default T-Mobile and AT&T versions

I'm thinking of getting a 'fully unlocked' S5 from an auction site. The seller has AT&T (SMG-900A) and T-Mobile (SMG-900T) versions available. Which is best? How do they differ from the international version apart from the printed logo and some carrier specific apps? Can they both be rooted?

Treybonew
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The T-Mobile version has more bands of LTE support in the US. I am on ATT, and I bought a T-Mobile S5 a few days ago. I am loving the phone so far, and plan on getting it fully rooted and unlocked shortly. The international version that is sold doesn't have LTE band support. Both the ATT and T-Mobile versions can be rooted.

devoidx
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treybonew View Post
The T-Mobile version has more bands of LTE support in the US. I am on ATT, and I bought a T-Mobile S5 a few days ago. I am loving the phone so far, and plan on getting it fully rooted and unlocked shortly. The international version that is sold doesn't have LTE band support. Both the ATT and T-Mobile versions can be rooted.
That's incorrect. the ATT version cannot be rooted as of right now and has a locked bootloader. Definitely go with the Tmobile version if you want rooting and flashing ROMS
The Following User Says Thank You to devoidx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zic1
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by devoidx View Post
That's incorrect. the ATT version cannot be rooted as of right now and has a locked bootloader. Definitely go with the Tmobile version if you want rooting and flashing ROMS
How to check this on phone before buying?
LG Optimus 2x / ROM: Jelly Cream 1.4 /Baseband version: V30A / Kernel: Kowalski M1 / KoB 0.7
Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F / NeatROM

devoidx
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zic1 View Post
How to check this on phone before buying?
You can see the phone model in settings>about phone

T-Mobile is SM-G900T

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

zic1
Old
Thanks Meter 6
[QUOTE=devoidx;52860977]You can see the phone model in settings>about phone

Thanks! Please, can you help little bit more...
In case that bootloader is unlockable what will be stated in section "About phone"?
LG Optimus 2x / ROM: Jelly Cream 1.4 /Baseband version: V30A / Kernel: Kowalski M1 / KoB 0.7
Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F / NeatROM

MattMJB0188
Old
Thanks Meter 164
After using the G900A with AT&T (twice lol) I decided to pick up T-Mobile's S5 last Friday. Already running a custom rom and kernel. Love it. Only wish LTE reception was better optimized for AT&T's band 17.