Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Was just given this phone

OP eraleubs

1st June 2014, 10:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I was quite excited as I am using a really ****ty phone, but upon starting the phone I realized it was on the sprint network, which gets very unreliable service where I live.
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location. If it is, do I need to root the phone? The last phone I rooted with a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Wireless, and it was beyond easy.
I have also called both providers, Verizon and Straight Talk, both were very unhelpful

If its not usable, the phone is for sale to the first person with 75$ in the four corners area, usa.
2nd June 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 8

113 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraleubs

I was quite excited as I am using a really ****ty phone, but upon starting the phone I realized it was on the sprint network, which gets very unreliable service where I live.
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location. If it is, do I need to root the phone? The last phone I rooted with a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Wireless, and it was beyond easy.
I have also called both providers, Verizon and Straight Talk, both were very unhelpful

If its not usable, the phone is for sale to the first person with 75$ in the four corners area, usa.

No, you can only use the LG Optimus G LS970 on Sprint.
2nd June 2014, 01:05 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegKilla

such a shame, the phone is officially as useless as a paperweight is where i live.
thanks for the quick response though.
3rd June 2014, 11:30 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 35

570 posts
Technically you could if you had a donar phone to flash but no 4g lte though.
4th June 2014, 12:19 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 153

524 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraleubs

My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegKilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippui

Technically you could if you had a donar phone to flash but no 4g lte though.

Not entirely true unless the Optimus has something holding it back.

There was a thread about the same question (and a sim card question) here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2771111

I tried Straight Talk's website and was almost able to activate my own Optimus G on their service. I linked the website in that thread ^^
5th June 2014, 08:45 PM   |  #6  
Flag Nashville
Thanks Meter: 169

770 posts
More
Couldn't you sell it then buy a Verizon phone?

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread