Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more
Post Reply

Was just given this phone

OP eraleubs

1st June 2014, 10:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
I was quite excited as I am using a really ****ty phone, but upon starting the phone I realized it was on the sprint network, which gets very unreliable service where I live.
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location. If it is, do I need to root the phone? The last phone I rooted with a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Wireless, and it was beyond easy.
I have also called both providers, Verizon and Straight Talk, both were very unhelpful

If its not usable, the phone is for sale to the first person with 75$ in the four corners area, usa.
2nd June 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #2  
RegKilla's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
113 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraleubs

I was quite excited as I am using a really ****ty phone, but upon starting the phone I realized it was on the sprint network, which gets very unreliable service where I live.
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location. If it is, do I need to root the phone? The last phone I rooted with a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Wireless, and it was beyond easy.
I have also called both providers, Verizon and Straight Talk, both were very unhelpful

If its not usable, the phone is for sale to the first person with 75$ in the four corners area, usa.

No, you can only use the LG Optimus G LS970 on Sprint.
2nd June 2014, 01:05 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegKilla

No, you can only use the LG Optimus G LS970 on Sprint.

such a shame, the phone is officially as useless as a paperweight is where i live.
thanks for the quick response though.
3rd June 2014, 11:30 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
570 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Technically you could if you had a donar phone to flash but no 4g lte though.
4th June 2014, 12:19 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 153
 
524 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraleubs

My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegKilla

No, you can only use the LG Optimus G LS970 on Sprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippui

Technically you could if you had a donar phone to flash but no 4g lte though.

Not entirely true unless the Optimus has something holding it back.

There was a thread about the same question (and a sim card question) here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2771111

I tried Straight Talk's website and was almost able to activate my own Optimus G on their service. I linked the website in that thread ^^
5th June 2014, 08:45 PM   |  #6  
ChummyDays's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nashville
Thanks Meter: 169
 
770 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Couldn't you sell it then buy a Verizon phone?

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Optimus G General by ThreadRank