Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,626 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] About Wifi and data and their battery consumption

Tip us?

Zordak7
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Battery Full [Q] About Wifi and data and their battery consumption

Hello to anyone who read this thread

My question is, when wifi is on, and I'm connected to a network, like home, work, school, etc. If 2G or 3G is also turned on, it isn't transfering data, but, is it consuming battery juice? just a little? or a lot? or none?
It's just that i'm lazy and think it's better that when I leave a wifi area, the phone keeps connected and I wouldn't have to remember to turn it on.
I don't like to use any kind of auto toggler or anything like that, and if it doesn't use battery, think my life would be easier

Thanks!

blu422
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordak7 View Post

My question is, when wifi is on, and I'm connected to a network, like home, work, school, etc. If 2G or 3G is also turned on, it isn't transfering data, but, is it consuming battery juice? just a little? or a lot? or none?
It's just that i'm lazy and think it's better that when I leave a wifi area, the phone keeps connected and I wouldn't have to remember to turn it on.
I don't like to use any kind of auto toggler or anything like that, and if it doesn't use battery, think my life would be easier

Thanks!
Yeah definately don't use an auto toggler those take more battery than they save. And over my years of android use i have never experienced a noticiable loss in battery from leaving data on while connected to wifi you should be just fine leaving it on as far as battery goes. It is true that you device can still use the data connection while connected to wifi (for instance MMS) but really I haven't noticed any extra battery suck.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Any spare time? Check this out.
The Following User Says Thank You to blu422 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pushkardua
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordak7 View Post

Thanks!
leaving 3g on while wifi is connected doesn't suck your battery.. however I would recommend you to see that you don't leave wifi on when you are not connected... searching for wifi networks really takes hell lot of a battery :/
Please Subscribe to MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
if i helped you
This Would Take You Only a Second But CAn Help Me ALOT!

AWESOME ANDROID LIFE HACKS AND TRICKS

http://www.androidclaus.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to pushkardua For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zordak7
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Great

Thanks for the answears, so now I'll keep the data turned on all the time.