Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Going to upgrade from an S4 to the M8, and I'd like to know

OP some_douchebag

8th June 2014, 01:34 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

32 posts
if HTC allows downgrading the bootloader so I can install a custom rom after I make the mistake of taking an OTA update from ATT. With the S4 this wasn't possible. but since this is my first android phone, I was wondering if it was Samsung trying to keep the device "secure" or ATT forcing these companies to keep their bootloaders locked.
8th June 2014, 02:15 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 216

594 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_douchebag

if HTC allows downgrading the bootloader so I can install a custom rom after I make the mistake of taking an OTA update from ATT. With the S4 this wasn't possible. but since this is my first android phone, I was wondering if it was Samsung trying to keep the device "secure" or ATT forcing these companies to keep their bootloaders locked.

Once you unlock the boot loader no update can relock it. HTC offers a lot more freedom than samsung, but at the price of no warranty. So if you unlock it and shatter your screen, don't be upset like other people when htc will not warranty it. As long as you have a custom recovery, your phone cannot even physically take an ota update so nothing to worry about either way.
The Following User Says Thank You to an0ther For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th June 2014, 04:32 PM   |  #3  
Flag Somewhere in Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 212

995 posts
More
The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act is in place for us consumers for this reason. The company has to prove that any modification you did, is the cause of the trouble. So if you unlock your bootloader, root, etc, then crack your screen, as the poster above mentioned, the company can not void your warranty since what you did has nothing to do with cracking your screen.

This was huge for me when I modified my car and I found this here on XDA after doing more searching

http://www.xda-developers.com/xda-tv...t-void-xda-tv/

Oh and yeah,,if you are outside the US, it wont work lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tower1972 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th June 2014, 03:30 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,357

7,739 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_douchebag

if HTC allows downgrading the bootloader

That depends on what you mean by "allow". You cannot downgrade the bootloader by any "official" means. You will fail version check when you try to install, as you can "normally" only flash a equal or great version number hboot.

But if you are s-off, version check is bypassed, and any hboot version can be flashed.

Similar to a previous response, my advice would be to unlock the bootloader (required if you want to flash custom ROMs anyway) and S-off the phone soon after you get it. Neither of those can be changed by any OTA.

Also, accepting OTA is not recommended on a modded phone, anyway. Whatever came in the update will usually get posted in a stock rooted form in the Development forum, and/or incorporated into custom ROMs, often within days of the OTA rolling out. And OTA will not install on a modded phone (stock recovery needs to be present). OTAs also may plug existing s-off or other exploit; preventing you from doing them if you haven't already (but as mentioned, can't make the phone s-on again). Moral of the story, I strongly recommend against OTA on any modded phone.

Some of these terms/concepts are HTC specific, so may be a bit confusing for you. I would suggest reading up on these forums, if you aren't familiar with s-off, HTC's bootloader unlock process, etc.
Last edited by redpoint73; 9th June 2014 at 03:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread