Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,535 Members 40,111 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone randomly stopped booting

Tip us?

apefist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Question [Q] Phone randomly stopped booting

Hey guys

So I had bought a used galaxy s4 on swappa, got it, it started fine, I took it to the verizon store and got it set up with a 4G sim card, everything seemed good. Let it charge for a bit and then shut it off and stuck it in a box (the phone is a replacement for a family member who is away right now so it was just gonna hang out for a bit).

Just last night I took it out of the box to try and turn it on and get some info on it and it won't boot. When I start it up is says "Samsung Unlocked" and shows that unlocked Icon, that goes away and nothing else happens.

The weird thing is it didn't have the unlocked thing before when I first got it and was starting it up, it had the normal "Samsung Galaxy S4" boot screen with no lock icon, and I haven't done anything to this phone in terms of rooting or romming it. I did boot into the included recovery once, but I didn't mess with anything.

When I try to boot into recovery now (hold down power+home+vol up) I'll hold it down for upwards of 30 seconds, and I don't get anything. It doesn't vibrate indicating it has started up, and I can't get it to do the normal boot and black screen again until I pull the battery.

Any suggestions on what to do with it at this point?

joshuabg
Old
Thanks Meter 272

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by apefist View Post
Hey guys

So I had bought a used galaxy s4 on swappa, got it, it started fine, I took it to the verizon store and got it set up with a 4G sim card, everything seemed good. Let it charge for a bit and then shut it off and stuck it in a box (the phone is a replacement for a family member who is away right now so it was just gonna hang out for a bit).

Just last night I took it out of the box to try and turn it on and get some info on it and it won't boot. When I start it up is says "Samsung Unlocked" and shows that unlocked Icon, that goes away and nothing else happens.

The weird thing is it didn't have the unlocked thing before when I first got it and was starting it up, it had the normal "Samsung Galaxy S4" boot screen with no lock icon, and I haven't done anything to this phone in terms of rooting or romming it. I did boot into the included recovery once, but I didn't mess with anything.

When I try to boot into recovery now (hold down power+home+vol up) I'll hold it down for upwards of 30 seconds, and I don't get anything. It doesn't vibrate indicating it has started up, and I can't get it to do the normal boot and black screen again until I pull the battery.

Any suggestions on what to do with it at this point?
Make sure the battery is charged. Try plugging it in.
If you find this post helful, Click the "Thanks" button, Or if you really like what I have done you can click the "Donate to Me" button.

My works

apefist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuabg View Post
Make sure the battery is charged. Try plugging it in.
OK I'm gonna look like an idiot here, but this was the issue. After leaving it plugged in for ~30 minutes it turned on fine.

I had charged it to 100% and was sure I had turned it off before boxing it for a few days but I must have screwed something up!

Thanks for the response!
The Following User Says Thank You to apefist For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

joshuabg
Old
Thanks Meter 272

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by apefist View Post
OK I'm gonna look like an idiot here, but this was the issue. After leaving it plugged in for ~30 minutes it turned on fine.

I had charged it to 100% and was sure I had turned it off before boxing it for a few days but I must have screwed something up!

Thanks for the response!
It might not be your fault. You might have a defective or worn battery.

Sent from my OtterX running SlimKat 4.4.3 using Tapatalk
If you find this post helful, Click the "Thanks" button, Or if you really like what I have done you can click the "Donate to Me" button.

My works

The Following User Says Thank You to joshuabg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]