Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,914 Members 50,924 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New Owner, Question on skipsoft toolkit

Tip us?

bigystyle84
Old
(Last edited by bigystyle84; 12th June 2014 at 02:20 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default New Owner, Question on skipsoft toolkit

I'm quite familiar with the Skipsoft Toolkits. I've used them plenty of times in the past.

Bought a Nexus 7 2013 today. First thing it wanted to do was update from 4.3 to 4.4.2. I did that. Then 4.4.3. Did that.

I now wanted to use the tooklit to unlock and flash a custom recovery so I can try out CleanRom.

There is no 4.4.3 option in the toolkit.

Question

Can I select the 4.4.2 Build and then unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery? This is all I need correct? I typically always used the All in one option in previous devices but since 4.4.3 isn't an option I can't.

While were at it, the other things the "All in one" flash does, such as Busybox, Rename Recovery Restore Files and Root. Do I need to do any of these? What is busybox? Why would I need to rename recovery restore files? Is unlocking bootloader and flashing custom recovery all I need to do to start flashing Roms?

Just making sure as I've always gone the "All in one" Route.

And Yes, I know I can do via ADB but Its been a long time since I've done it and would rather take the familiar route.
Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy S4 i337m - Rogers

Aerowinder
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigystyle84 View Post
I'm quite familiar with the Skipsoft Toolkits. I've used them plenty of times in the past.

Bought a Nexus 7 2013 today. First thing it wanted to do was update from 4.3 to 4.4.2. I did that. Then 4.4.3. Did that.

I now wanted to use the tooklit to unlock and flash a custom recovery so I can try out CleanRom.

There is no 4.4.3 option in the toolkit.

Question

Can I select the 4.4.2 Build and then unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery? This is all I need correct? I typically always used the All in one option in previous devices but since 4.4.3 isn't an option I can't.

While were at it, the other things the "All in one" flash does, such as Busybox, Rename Recovery Restore Files and Root. Do I need to do any of these? What is busybox? Why would I need to rename recovery restore files? Is unlocking bootloader and flashing custom recovery all I need to do to start flashing Roms?

Just making sure as I've always gone the "All in one" Route.

And Yes, I know I can do via ADB but Its been a long time since I've done it and would rather take the familiar route.
Don't use toolkits.

I advise learning how to do this operation manually. It's very simple. Read this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...oader-t2507905

I know it's a long read. But seriously, you can unlock the bootloader, fastboot flash an update, flash a recovery, and have root in about 3 minutes.

I would say a normal user does not need busybox. And most apps that require it come with their own version.

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: BaNkS

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror