Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,821 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need assistance with Android, moved away from iOS.

Tip us?

Happy_todd
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Need assistance with Android, moved away from iOS.

Hello everyone,

I have done quite a bit of research over the past few days but I am quite overwhelmed and confused, I thought I will post my questions here as I am now a proud owner of a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.

I ended up winning a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact from a work competition just the other day, before then I was using my iPhone 4 ever since it came out. I have never owned an Android device, I wish to root it mostly to theme the device. I have tried the Themer application in the Playstore which is fantastic in it's own right, but it doesn't let me create my own. I'm a huge Apple person and I ended up Jailbreaking all my iDevices so I wish to get some of that power out of my Android phone.

1. How harmful is it to root, unlock bootloader etc?.. I would imagine it is no different than Jailbreaking.
2. Am I able to store absolutely everything on the SD card when it comes to applications and tweaks?
3. Is it possible to remap the physical buttons to do other things?
4. I have came across Cyanogen quite a lot, is it stable and will I notice any speed issues compared to stock OS?
5. Is there a "Tweak store" of sorts to download all the extra stuff after rooting the device, similar to "Cydia" for iDevices?

I would really appreciate some assistance, I do apologize once again for being extremely new. It's just a little complicated when you hear there are so many versions of Android and rooting tools for individual devices!

KyleSforza
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Hi, I do not own the device but I've been in Sony and Android ecosystem for quiet long. So I can probably answer most of your questions.

1. Its not harmful at all! In fact since Sony devices don't get hard bricked you can't go wrong with it!
2. You can, once rooted! Ofc, you'll need mod of some kind.
3. Yup!
4. Speed issues? Probably not! But you might lose several functionalities, major one being the Camera quality. As Sony camera works as great as it is on stock only.
5. This forum is your tweak store.

Happy_todd
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSforza View Post
Hi, I do not own the device but I've been in Sony and Android ecosystem for quiet long. So I can probably answer most of your questions.

1. Its not harmful at all! In fact since Sony devices don't get hard bricked you can't go wrong with it!
2. You can, once rooted! Ofc, you'll need mod of some kind.
3. Yup!
4. Speed issues? Probably not! But you might lose several functionalities, major one being the Camera quality. As Sony camera works as great as it is on stock only.
5. This forum is your tweak store.
Thanks for getting back to me very quickly. I did not know Sony devices cannot get hard bricked. So you're saying whatever I do to it software wise, I cannot not physically render the phone useless?
How bad is the camera quality once you root? is it very noticeable, are people trying to improve the quality?
I will definitely have browse this forum more, is there a particular place you would suggest or should I just stay in the Z1 Compact thread?

omegastarr
Old
(Last edited by omegastarr; 13th June 2014 at 07:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_todd View Post
Thanks for getting back to me very quickly. I did not know Sony devices cannot get hard bricked. So you're saying whatever I do to it software wise, I cannot not physically render the phone useless?
How bad is the camera quality once you root? is it very noticeable, are people trying to improve the quality?
I will definitely have browse this forum more, is there a particular place you would suggest or should I just stay in the Z1 Compact thread?
I've been using Sony (ericsson) devices since forever and I can tell you you'll love it. About the brick - feel safe. Whatever goes wrong with the phone just flash the original stock FTF firmware via Flashtool and your phone is like new. It's not necessary to switch to CyanogenMod as Sony's firmware is very smooth and fast on our devices thanks to the hardware and the lower resolution. You can just root and install one of the stock based roms in the development section. No need to unlock and you can get 4K video and 120fps slow motion video without losing picture quality

Edit: You don't lose quality when you root. Sony uses bionz image processor which requires the bootloader to be locked to work. If you unlock your BL you will have pictures with colder colors (from my observations) and more noise since Bionz is not processing the shots.
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact <3
using jfxperias' KitSlim_AMG Evo Roms
The Following User Says Thank You to omegastarr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Happy_todd
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegastarr View Post
I've been using Sony (ericsson) devices since forever and I can tell you you'll love it. About the brick - feel safe. Whatever goes wrong with the phone just flash the original stock FTF firmware via Flashtool and your phone is like new. It's not necessary to switch to CyanogenMod as Sony's firmware is very smooth and fast on our devices thanks to the hardware and the lower resolution. You can just root and install one of the stock based roms in the development section. No need to unlock and you can get 4K video and 120fps slow motion video without losing picture quality
No loss of picture quality, that's contradicting with what KyleSforza said. If something did go wrong with the device, and I flashed back to the original stock FTF firmware, will it leave traces of the root on my phone in case I had to send the handset back for warranty repair or anything?.. Also how does one obtain the original stock firmware, would that be in the development section or on Sonys website somewhere? Thanks so much!

omegastarr
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_todd View Post
No loss of picture quality, that's contradicting with what KyleSforza said. If something did go wrong with the device, and I flashed back to the original stock FTF firmware, will it leave traces of the root on my phone in case I had to send the handset back for warranty repair or anything?.. Also how does one obtain the original stock firmware, would that be in the development section or on Sonys website somewhere? Thanks so much!
Look my edited post, I have explained why picture quality gets bad. As long as you use stock based firmware on locked bootloader (BL) you will not lose quality. About the warranty - I think rooting does not drop it but unlocking the BL does. You need to read some of the threads in this section before doing anything. When you flash the FTF everything goes back to stock and you will lose the root. As long as you BL is locked and you are on stock firmware your warranty is not voided.

Edit: You can find FTFs in the development section as well
The Following User Says Thank You to omegastarr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

paul5425
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegastarr View Post
If you unlock your BL you will have pictures with colder colors (from my observations) and more noise since Bionz is not processing the shots.
That's the first I have heard of this. Has anyone else confirmed this?

omegastarr
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Well try it and see for yourself. A very detailed post was made in one of the z1 threads and the pictures were clearly showing that. I can't remember in which thread was that because it was more than a month ago.

coolkoushik07
Old
Thanks Meter 189
I am using CyanogenMod and it is obviously better than Sony stock ROM.. Just two issues I have faced on CyanogenMod.. Sound volume is very low and camera quality is also bad.. Except these two, everything is more stable than stock ROM..

Sent from my Xperia Z1 Compact
Press thank if I helped you

Model: D5503 Xperia Z1 Compact, GT-I8552 Grand Quattro, GT-I9500 Galaxy S4(Returned to store after using 20 days)

Iruwen
Old
(Last edited by Iruwen; 13th June 2014 at 04:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkoushik07 View Post
I am using CyanogenMod and it is obviously better than Sony stock ROM.. Just two issues I have faced on CyanogenMod.. Sound volume is very low and camera quality is also bad.. Except these two, everything is more stable than stock ROM..

Sent from my Xperia Z1 Compact
I don't see where CM is "obviously" better, stock ROMs lack functions but a rooted stock with Xposed is pretty close to some third party ROMs. As Coirpre already said, that's a matter of personal preferences. And CM is far from being more stable than any stock ROM. E.g., last time I tried CM and all ROMs based on it completely prevented using encryption because the sensors didn't work. Tethering's also still broken iirc, among several other things judging by the corresponding thread.