Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,941 Members 38,260 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Z2 vs HTC One M8

Tip us?

vipaman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Z2 vs HTC One M8

Hey,

I was consider to get the HTC One M8 but then I came across the Sony Xperia Z2. I was looking at the feature set of both. I went and got a feel of both the devices. My only real concern that came about would be the development aspect of the Z2. I love to tweak around with my phones.

The other issue that hit me is the speakers on the Z2. I havent had a chance to play with the Z2 in the sound department but I did have a chance with the HTC One M8. Does the speakers feel good to listen to?

Any thoughts would be helpful
Follow me on Twitter
If I Have Helped you in anyway....Hit The Thanks Button.

Envious_Data
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 859

DONATE TO ME
Well opinion wise on the Z2 , the speakers arent perfect but thats because of the fact the phone is waterproof, everything else is amazing

Development has started slow for Z2 alike most xperias, give it a couple months for it too speed up, we already have official CM11 and TWRP, there should be more to come

And not to mention all mods for 4.4 will most likely work on other xperias
(this does disinclude kernels and roms)
Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hi there

"Music Makes me forget the traumas that plague my mind. Music is the cure to a normaly unfixable problem"
-Nozomi Yamauchi

http://envious.host-my-rom.eu/
Credits to zantekk for the WebSpace

Deviant Art page
http://enviousdata.deviantart.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envious_Data For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hogyoku
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I have both devices i think that the M8 is better in design and the sound quality is better both speakers and earplugs wise.
The camera on the Z2 is waaaaaaayyy better then the M8 and i personally think that the system ui is better as well i am not a fan of sense it just to heavy.
And custom development always takes a tad longer on sony devices. I've had both devices and i'm still not sure which one is better .....

64GB SandStone Black
I'm not lazy, Iím energy efficient
[Past devices]

> Galaxy tab, BB PlayBook, Galaxy tab 2 7.0, Galaxy tab 8.9, Asus transformer Tf 300t + dock, Ipad mini, Galaxy note, Galaxy s player 5, BB Curve 8520 + 9320, Galaxy s, Nokia e71 ,Nokia Lumia 700, Samsung galaxy nexus, HTC one x, Google lg nexus 4, Oppo Find 5, Google nexus 7, Xperia Z Ultra, Microsoft surface RT, Oppo N1, Nexus 5, HTC M8, [Current devices] > Nexus 7 2013 Xperia Z2 Oneplus One , <
The Following User Says Thank You to Hogyoku For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

paras
Old
Thanks Meter 87
i have z2 and love it. Overall i feel m8 is great but z2 has a slight edge in all departments other than sound. Sound is awesome on z2 but m8 is better.

Sent From My Nexus 5 Stock 4.4.3 ART
Sony Xperia Z2 Stock 4.4.2

Nexus 5 Stock 4.4.2

Htc One M7 Android Revolution HD 62.0 Kitkat 4.4.2 Sixth Sense
The Following User Says Thank You to paras For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KyleSforza
Old
Thanks Meter 104
If you want a single device for all your needs go for Z2.

Want only a smartphone and have a separate professional camera? Go for M8.

Here's a comparison video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKCgqeVdZ3w
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KyleSforza For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vipaman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
Well as far as I see. The sony xperia has a pretty gud feature set. I know the development is a wee bit slow. But considering the fact, I think I just might go for the Z2.
Follow me on Twitter

tuanph.aus
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I haven't got a chance to play with M8 but I have had M7 for 5 days before I decided to sell it and married Sony Z2.

Originally, I came from Apple 5s and to be honest the camera on HTC One M7 was horrible. I went out for a persimmon picking trip and I took my brandnew HTC M7 for photo shooting and I was shocked by the photo quality, blueish, dark, blrury and incorrect colour. Even my gf was shocked with my new toy's camera performance. Overall HTC was a good phone, sleek design, study and iron cold feeling, nice and sharp screen and beautiful UI. But after I sold my HTC M7 and bought the Sony Z2 and I must say it is one of the best phone I have even owned. Fast, beautiful scree large screen, simpe UI and super long lasting battery. I am a heavy user and apple 5s could not keep up with me as long as Sony Z2. Anyway, from Apply 5S -> HTC M7 -> Sony Z2, I am really happy to stay with Sony for a long time. And it is my first Sony device I have ever used since I was born ...lol

valdigre
Old
(Last edited by valdigre; 16th June 2014 at 01:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 24
Hey all, I have the same dillema.

I have just sold my Note 3 and want something smaller and with a capable camera, very good sound quality on speakerphone while on skype and normal calls.

In the last aspect my previous HTC M7 was the best however it's camera was unacceptable, especially in very bright sun light...
To be honest I don't know why I am even considering the M8 because of the camera, but I guess I have the sentiment for the previous one.

Anyway, my biggest concern with Z2 is overheating. I went to Vodafone shop and turned on the Camera app to see how the phone behaves. Within 1-2 minutes it got noticably warm, just because the screen and app was on...

How widespread do you think the overheating problem is? Logically speaking, if something is sealed very well for water not getting in, than it must be not so great with heat dissapation... Unless it is made of aluminum...

I don't want a camera phone having a camera which I cannot use because of overheating...

Also, is it difficult to flash stock firmware over branded one, with sim lock present? Does the phone need to be unlocked?

vipaman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
So I just got my z2. YAY!!!!

Sad part is that I didn't get the noise cancelling ear buds. #WelcomeToTheMiddleEast

On the other hand. I just love the feel of the device. It just feels right. The aluminum and glass feel just perfect. It's feels a bit more premium than the M8 imo.

Problems. The device heats up. But tbh I live in a hot country so it really doesn't matter XD. The heat is more towards the top part and the device just heated up when I cranked the brightness high and started recording 4k video(Which I doubt I shall ever use in the near future)

Now all I got to do is get a case and a screen protector so that I don't destroy it in my rough daily use

Hope my short review helped anyone

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app
Follow me on Twitter

valdigre
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipaman View Post
So I just got my z2. YAY!!!!

Sad part is that I didn't get the noise cancelling ear buds. #WelcomeToTheMiddleEast

On the other hand. I just love the feel of the device. It just feels right. The aluminum and glass feel just perfect. It's feels a bit more premium than the M8 imo.

Problems. The device heats up. But tbh I live in a hot country so it really doesn't matter XD. The heat is more towards the top part and the device just heated up when I cranked the brightness high and started recording 4k video(Which I doubt I shall ever use in the near future)

Now all I got to do is get a case and a screen protector so that I don't destroy it in my rough daily use

Hope my short review helped anyone

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app
Can you do a test for me, please?

Could you actively use the phone for a while (say 3g browsing or wifi) so that it becomes warm at the back, and once it gets warm, can you open the camera app and try to record 3-5 minute hd video or take at least 10 pictures in the row?

I am wondering if you get the warning message.