Post Reply

Towelroot works without unlocking bootloader!

16th June 2014, 09:25 AM   |  #1  
mastermind777's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Nowhere, yet everywhere
Thanks Meter: 7
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Yesterday, Geohot released his Towelroot exploit here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157

Towelroot was made for the Verizon / AT&T Galaxy S5, reported working with the Note 3, and is supposed to work on pretty much any device with a kernel built before June 3. Since the TF701T has a kernel from Apr 18, I tried Towelroot on a completely stock TF701T and can report that I am now rooted without unlocking my boot loader.

Just leaving this here in case there are any further developments. I'd love to see how much can be done without voiding warranty through bootloader. At the very least, we have Xposed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mastermind777 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 01:04 PM   |  #2  
Member
Flag Marseille
Thanks Meter: 7
 
59 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
More
worked for me too !
Thanks great !
16th June 2014, 01:17 PM   |  #3  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,048
 
11,560 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Good news. Can a mod sticky this please.
16th June 2014, 01:39 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Thanks, it works very well. I want to know if I can install custom recovery without unlocking bootloader.
16th June 2014, 02:15 PM   |  #5  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,048
 
11,560 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg777

Thanks, it works very well. I want to know if I can install custom recovery without unlocking bootloader.

No you will need to unlock the boot loader to install a custom recovery I'm afraid.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 04:42 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
155 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Confirmed! Works great. Are you using Chainfire or the regular superuser. Chainfire tells me I need to update the binary but fails to do it. Using regular superuser now.
4th August 2014, 09:54 AM   |  #7  
Member
Flag Gotham
Thanks Meter: 5
 
36 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags

No you will need to unlock the boot loader to install a custom recovery I'm afraid.

I am running a custom recovery (TWRP), using custom ROMs (using multirom) so that's not true

Sent from my PS4 using a keyboard

DEVICE:
Rooted (Towelroot)
Nexus 7 2013 LTE (DEB)
TWRP 2.7.1 (With MultiROM Support)

ROMS (Using MultiROM):
Stock (4.4.3)
CyanogenMod 11 (Snapshot M8)
Paranoid Android (4.4.5)
4th August 2014, 09:56 AM   |  #8  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,048
 
11,560 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket0317

I am running a custom recovery (TWRP), using custom ROMs (using multirom) so that's not true

Sent from my PS4 using a keyboard

DEVICE:
Rooted (Towelroot)
Nexus 7 2013 LTE (DEB)
TWRP 2.7.1 (With MultiROM Support)

ROMS (Using MultiROM):
Stock (4.4.3)
CyanogenMod 11 (Snapshot M8)
Paranoid Android (4.4.5)

You are in the TF701 forum btw (not sure if you realise that) - you can't load a custom recovery or a custom rom without unlocking the bootloader on this device.
16th June 2014, 05:50 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
137 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
This is what i was looking for!!
We can at least get Xposed, Delete bloatwares, Starting Apps, Titanium Backup, Adaway.

But can someone confirm my doubts, Because this exploit works with before June kernels, it obviously means that if Asus bring us 4.4 we will not able to have a persistant root, except if a dev create a working LB custom recovery and then a Pre-rooted, zipaligned, deodexed 4.4 rom.

Am i wrong bros?

Envoyé de mon K00C en utilisant Tapatalk
16th June 2014, 07:49 PM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
155 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Works for now but 4.4 will most likely use the newer patched kernel. My Note 3 w I think KK is showing Kernel version 3.4 so KK may not have to use a kernel later then that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issawillwin

This is what i was looking for!!
We can at least get Xposed, Delete bloatwares, Starting Apps, Titanium Backup, Adaway.

But can someone confirm my doubts, Because this exploit works with before June kernels, it obviously means that if Asus bring us 4.4 we will not able to have a persistant root, except if a dev create a working LB custom recovery and then a Pre-rooted, zipaligned, deodexed 4.4 rom.

Am i wrong bros?

Envoyé de mon K00C en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited by johnciaccio; 16th June 2014 at 07:56 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader, root, towelroot
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Transformer TF701 General by ThreadRank