Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,052 Members 45,613 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon throttling unlimited plan

Tip us?
 
Dragonsla
Old
#1  
Dragonsla's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 101
Join Date: Sep 2009
Video [Q] Verizon throttling unlimited plan

I am on an unlimited plan and I think I am being throttled, One thing I know is happening is I'm kicked off 4g and forced to go on 3g. A quick turn on and off airplane mode fixes it til they do it again but I was wondering if there was a way to force a 4G ONLY connection so they can't kick me off.

I am rooted so hopefully there is a way... If not can I block verizon from seeing im on an unlimited plan or how much I use? thanks
...the way of the future...

Droid Life:

DROID 2: Oct 2010-Jan 2012
GNEX: Jan 2012-Oct 2012
GSIII: Oct 2012-Apr 2013
GS4: May 2013-April 2014
GS5 April 2014-current

LONG LIVE UNLIMITED DATA!!
 
piggynuts
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 43
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsla View Post
I am on an unlimited plan and I think I am being throttled, One thing I know is happening is I'm kicked off 4g and forced to go on 3g. A quick turn on and off airplane mode fixes it til they do it again but I was wondering if there was a way to force a 4G ONLY connection so they can't kick me off.

I am rooted so hopefully there is a way... If not can I block verizon from seeing im on an unlimited plan or how much I use? thanks
I too believe I just started to get throttled, my 3g dropped from 2mb down to .2 KB overnight with no fix, tried reflashing the phone, repgrorgramming with network, and reflashing both stock and after market ROMS.

Did you find an answer
 
hotleadsingerguy
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 157
Posts: 857
Join Date: Jan 2010
Ya...if they're throttling you they wouldn't drop you from 4G to 3G. They'd let you stay on LTE and just drop your speeds.

The problem is Samsung makes ****** radios for CDMA/Verizon. It's been true on every Galaxy phone, including the Nexus. I don't know why people don't learn this.
 
Dragonsla
Old
#4  
Dragonsla's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 101
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Ya...if they're throttling you they wouldn't drop you from 4G to 3G. They'd let you stay on LTE and just drop your speeds.

The problem is Samsung makes ****** radios for CDMA/Verizon. It's been true on every Galaxy phone, including the Nexus. I don't know why people don't learn this.
Thing is the internet apps work fine (netflix instagram clash of clans) but the BROWSER IS SOOOO FREAKING SLOW!!! I'M staring at a blank page for minutes and I just give up. If it hit stop most of the page comes up but not before!

Certain pictures on Facebook same issue.

And yes I have tried multiple browsers. I am only at 5 gigs for this month! Calling Verizon soon.
...the way of the future...

Droid Life:

DROID 2: Oct 2010-Jan 2012
GNEX: Jan 2012-Oct 2012
GSIII: Oct 2012-Apr 2013
GS4: May 2013-April 2014
GS5 April 2014-current

LONG LIVE UNLIMITED DATA!!
 
hotleadsingerguy
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 157
Posts: 857
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsla View Post
Thing is the internet apps work fine (netflix instagram clash of clans) but the BROWSER IS SOOOO FREAKING SLOW!!! I'M staring at a blank page for minutes and I just give up. If it hit stop most of the page comes up but not before!

Certain pictures on Facebook same issue.

And yes I have tried multiple browsers. I am only at 5 gigs for this month! Calling Verizon soon.
That's a Verizon thing. When I had Verizon I hit the exact same issue all the time. It's the way they handle data streaming through their servers. Traffic gets routed poorly, so especially anything that requires multiple DNS changes (such as page forwarders) will be excruciatingly slow.


As an example: Try to open a webpage link from a Facebook post. I can almost guarantee it will take longer than just loading a website on its own by quite a bit. There's some inherent slowdown in doing this kind of thing, but doing it through the Verizon network is like pulling teeth.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes