Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,262 Members 50,017 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 10 Recovery - USB not enabled

Tip us?

garysargent
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Nexus 10 Recovery - USB not enabled

Hi,

When entering recovery mode on the Nexus 10 (Android 4.4.3), when I connect the tablet up the a computer it does not detect a USB device. This is not the usual driver related issue - nothing shows up in device manager - it is as though the USB cable isn't even connected. The usual sound from Windows when you connect a device does not sound.

I can connect fine when the Nexus 10 is booted, and I can call "adb reboot recovery" and the tablet reboots to recovery, but then there is no USB connection.

To reiterate - there are no driver issues as I'm not even getting as far as loading a driver! I've tried two different computers (Windows 8.1 and Windows 7) and two different USB cables.

Anyone seen this before? Why is USB disabled when in recovery?

Thanks,

Gary.

lj50036
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1120

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysargent View Post
Hi,

When entering recovery mode on the Nexus 10 (Android 4.4.3), when I connect the tablet up the a computer it does not detect a USB device. This is not the usual driver related issue - nothing shows up in device manager - it is as though the USB cable isn't even connected. The usual sound from Windows when you connect a device does not sound.

I can connect fine when the Nexus 10 is booted, and I can call "adb reboot recovery" and the tablet reboots to recovery, but then there is no USB connection.

To reiterate - there are no driver issues as I'm not even getting as far as loading a driver! I've tried two different computers (Windows 8.1 and Windows 7) and two different USB cables.

Anyone seen this before? Why is USB disabled when in recovery?

Thanks,

Gary.
Your on the stock recovery ?

garysargent
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj50036 View Post
Your on the stock recovery ?
Sorry should have mentioned. Yes completely stock.

lj50036
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1120

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysargent View Post
Sorry should have mentioned. Yes completely stock.
I was unaware that the stock recovery had adb..

Let me look into this..

Thx Josh

garysargent
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Figured this out thanks - turns out "adb reboot recovery" doesn't put the device into a state of waiting for a sideload - you have to do a further press of POWER+VolUp to bring up the menu then select sideload via ADB - the USB then kicks in! Doh.