Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,879 Members 43,397 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New GTP 8.4. Should I let it update itself?

Tip us?

stuartv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Default [Q] New GTP 8.4. Should I let it update itself?

I got a new Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (SM-T320) on Friday. $249 at Best Buy finally pushed me over the edge (yay!).

The current build that is on it is T320UEU1ANAI.

It has an OTA update available that it wants to install, but, of course, it doesn't tell me what the new build is. I have been clicking on Later, so far.

I expect that I will want to use TowelRoot to root this without tripping Knox, and I'll want to install at least a custom recovery and some Xposed modules. I may want to try a custom ROM in the future, and I understand that that will trip Knox no matter what. But, from what I read, as long as I use TowelRoot and just root and install a recovery, I won't trip Knox.

Is all that correct?

If I let this pending OTA go ahead and install, will I still be able to use TowelRoot and install a custom recovery without tripping Knox?

TIA!

crpalmer
Old
Thanks Meter 2086

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv View Post
I got a new Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (SM-T320) on Friday. $249 at Best Buy finally pushed me over the edge (yay!).

The current build that is on it is T320UEU1ANAI.

It has an OTA update available that it wants to install, but, of course, it doesn't tell me what the new build is. I have been clicking on Later, so far.

I expect that I will want to use TowelRoot to root this without tripping Knox, and I'll want to install at least a custom recovery and some Xposed modules. I may want to try a custom ROM in the future, and I understand that that will trip Knox no matter what. But, from what I read, as long as I use TowelRoot and just root and install a recovery, I won't trip Knox.

Is all that correct?

If I let this pending OTA go ahead and install, will I still be able to use TowelRoot and install a custom recovery without tripping Knox?

TIA!
Installing a custom recovery will trip knox.
The Following User Says Thank You to crpalmer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stuartv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Thanks, crpalmer. I read that TowelRoot doesn't trip it, but I was definitely still uncertain about installing a recovery and tripping Knox. Good to know.

So, anyway, if I take this OTA, will I still be able to root and install a custom recovery if I want? I've rooted and ROMed other devices in the past. But, I have a Verizon S4 and I already got burned with it by taking an OTA without researching thoroughly first. Now, my S4 is totally locked down and looks like it'll never be cracked. I definitely want to avoid that happening with this GTP.

drmacrofish
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Quote:
Thanks, crpalmer. I read that TowelRoot doesn't trip it, but I was definitely still uncertain about installing a recovery and tripping Knox. Good to know.

So, anyway, if I take this OTA, will I still be able to root and install a custom recovery if I want? I've rooted and ROMed other devices in the past. But, I have a Verizon S4 and I already got burned with it by taking an OTA without researching thoroughly first. Now, my S4 is totally locked down and looks like it'll never be cracked. I definitely want to avoid that happening with this GTP.
Yes, let it update. Towelroot works with the update perfectly and than you can do twrp or just have root access and keep Knox intact if you need it for some reason.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

rholm
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:

I used towel root on a newer version as mine was already on the latest.

My future plans are much like yours. Stock rooted for a while, then custom recovery and roms.

Cheers,
Rich

metaldood
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rholm View Post
I used towel root on a newer version as mine was already on the latest.

My future plans are much like yours. Stock rooted for a while, then custom recovery and roms.

Cheers,
Rich
Hi I just bought the Tab Pro from BestBuy. Is towelroot enough to root AND not to trip knox? Or do we have to flash the kernel from this thread?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2786800
Galaxy S3 - Paranoid Android

̷

rholm
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood View Post
Hi I just bought the Tab Pro from BestBuy. Is towelroot enough to root AND not to trip knox? Or do we have to flash the kernel from this thread?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2786800
That's all I needed on the latest US rom. No kernel update needed.

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk