Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,351 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Simplistic HTC Hero Kernel Question.

Tip us?

J-Zeus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Simplistic HTC Hero Kernel Question.

Hi All,

Running rooted Hero with Modaco 2.5.1 rom ( thanks Paul )

Was hoping someone could ( simplistically ) answer a few question for me.

As I understand it - one of the things holding back development of Hero ROMS is that HTC haven't released the kernel for the Hero.

1) What exactly IS the kernel in the greater scheme of things?

2) When are HTC likely to release it?

3) When it is released, what new things will it allow developers to do?

4) Anything else relevant to it worth knowing?

TIA

arkhonic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Look at these:
1. The kernel is the Operating System for the phone, it runs everything.
2. That is the magic question...
3. It'll allow more development in terms of mods. we'll be able to change alot more and get more out of the phones.

I'm sure others will have more detailed explanations.

packetlss
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Regarding question 2:

I've gotten response from HTC support the other day that the release is planned but no sure date could be given.

Date: 5th of October

My question:
Quote:
Hello there, I realize that this might not be the normal kind of request you guys get, but here goes. This is probably not your average request and might require escalation. I was wondering when the source code for the Hero kernel was gonna be available at developer.htc.com?
Answer:
Quote:
Hello
This is quite a normal question we get here at HTC. The source code is something that will becoming soon. We have had contact with those far higher than my self or are planning on adding the source code as soon as possible. I have not been given a time scale but bases on the code for the two other handsets i should expect it in the next couple of weeks.
Hope this helps.
So, educated guess would be around the release of the Hero in the US.

J-Zeus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Some if I have this right -

The kernel is the basic underlying OS of the phone, and a ROM sits on top of this end gives us the end user experience ( and Sense UI is within the ROM ).

Am I right in thinking the kernel is linux based?

And a big magic question - when the kernel is released, will people be able to modify it and get the bluetooth working properly?

Sorry if it's a bit basic - but interesting to me....

akirainblack
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The Kernel is not the OS (As most people understand an OS to be) (OS meaning Operating System)
It's at the core of the OS but is not the OS. You can keep the same build of an OS but update the kernel and vica versa. It is (put simply) what converts the hardware calls from the OS into something the hardware understands.
So (using current issues as explanation) The OS tries to load the GPS and the kernel isn't configured with the right settings the GPS won't load. Similarly if you try and use the trackball and it's not setup in the kernel then it won't do anything.
The OS will still work fine with other things but until the kernel has the right settings put into it it just won't see the parts of the phone it's not set up to.
Here is a technical description of a Kernel.
http://www.linfo.org/kernel.html

I'm sure I've just made it as clear as dishwater but if not I hope it's helped.
TheBrit Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Zeus View Post
Some if I have this right -

The kernel is the basic underlying OS of the phone, and a ROM sits on top of this end gives us the end user experience ( and Sense UI is within the ROM ).
Not exactly. To add to what akirainblack has said already...ROM stands for Read Only Memory. In this context it is a bit different as it is the complete package that makes up the Kernel, the OS and anything that is pre-installed to the phone. When you run the RUU (Rom Update Utilitiy) on your PC is completely refreshes the system software in your phone - Kernel, OS and any pre-installed apps - just as if you had bought it from the shop like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Zeus View Post
Am I right in thinking the kernel is linux based?
Yes.

nikjensie
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hmmm...
simple question... when the kernel is available... would we be able to get a white taskbar on the Hero?

//Nik