Skype with working video?

Search This thread

procarion

Jan 14, 2010
Berlin
www.freifunk-teltow.de
Hello Community,

is it possible to use skype with video on the GalaxyTab?
I read somethin that i would have to cook flash into a custom ROM and such; my english is quite bad and my cooking skills are even worse.

I was hoping you might be able to at least tell me if its possible - and if "yes", how?

Thanks!
Steve.

GANJDROID

May 2, 2010
Norwich
AFAIK, video on Skype isn't available for any device. Hopefully they'll update it soon for front facing cameras.

Sent from my HTC Desire

eskasi

Apr 25, 2006
I Read somewhere that they will be releasing a version VERY soon with this. Perhaps during CES. Hopefully its not just on the Iphooey platform...

eskasi

Apr 25, 2006
As I mentioned earlier;
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/24/skype-finally-bringing-video-calling-to-mobile/
its for the Isheep... but hopefully we might get lucky. Sadly, this will be heavily carrier dependant. As long as they get a version out, I am confident the community here will get a working apk for any platform working and with 3G too.

I currently use Skype that has been hacked to work with 3G data (and even works with EDGE speeds). However, before Skype released their latest version, there were many apks that just didnt work. They either only worked for Skypeout in the US or was setup to work on particular networks. I am a happy camper now though. Just need a video app just like you do.

In the meantime, Tango is brilliant! I love it :)

AlpineM3

Sep 22, 2010
Tango is a great alternative to any other app for face chatting.....granted, the quality of the video could use a bit of an improvement, but overall, best resource out there for us GTab owners

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
Tango is a great alternative to any other app for face chatting.....granted, the quality of the video could use a bit of an improvement, but overall, best resource out there for us GTab owners

The problem with most of these alternative is the lack of desktop clients. When I travel for work, I'd quite like to use the Tab to keep in touch with the family, which really means I need either another Tab, or a desktop client.

Regards,

Dave

shmigao

Sep 3, 2009
The problem with most of these alternative is the lack of desktop clients. When I travel for work, I'd quite like to use the Tab to keep in touch with the family, which really means I need either another Tab, or a desktop client.

Regards,

Dave

ooVoo seems to have both tab & desktop client. i haven't tried it, because i hate to have to install yet another app to do another function that could have been provided by skype in the first place. maybe it is a good solution for short term until skype comes around and updates their software

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
ooVoo seems to have both tab & desktop client. i haven't tried it, because i hate to have to install yet another app to do another function that could have been provided by skype in the first place. maybe it is a good solution for short term until skype comes around and updates their software

Yeh - unfortunately ooVoo on the Mac doesn't currently support video to/from mobile devices, and my wife would want to use her Macbook!

Regards,

Dave

GANJDROID

May 2, 2010
Norwich
I think I read somewhere Skype video calls are or will be available on the iphone. It's only a matter of time.

Sent from my GT-P1000