[widget][2.1+][3.1+][retired] Scrollable news widget (2.1.2)

OP gdodinet

28th December 2010, 07:29 PM   |  #141  
Thanks Meter: 167

889 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrickles

where's the best place to find the actual feed addresses?
I love the widget but having a hard time getting additional feeds

I usually go through my desktop and find the feeds I want to save for future reference, and then use 'chrome to phone', or 'fox to phone'.
30th December 2010, 08:47 PM   |  #142  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Cool
First of all, thank you for this wonderfull widget.

After some fiddling I've found a workaround to get your google reader feeds in this widget. In short this workaround is to add a rss feed of a folder in google reader.

1. Open google reader in Firefox (maybe other browsers may work as well, but then step7 may be different)
2. Click Settings-> Reader settings on the top of the screen
3. Click on the tab Folders and Tags
4. You'll see your reader folders there (if you don't see any folders you need to create at least one and put your subscriptions in there, or perhaps you could use the starred items, but I didn't test that).
5. Behind every folder there is a rss icon and private or public state. The folder needs to be public (click on the rss icon the change the state)
6. You can then click on View public page
7. The new page opened contains a rss symbol in the addressbar (in firefox). Click on this. You can copy the url from the addressbar and add it to the newsscroller widget feeds.
NOTICE!: the atom feed link on this page didn't work for me, so that is why I used the rss icon from the addressbar

You can repeat the steps 5 to 7 for every folder of subscriptions you want to have in newsscroller widget.

One of my folder feeds is this (several rss feeds from dutch f1 sites)
http://www.google.com/reader/public/...7%2Flabel%2FF1
Last edited by lkistenkas; 30th December 2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added example rss feed
31st December 2010, 12:36 AM   |  #143  
Flag Hengelo
Thanks Meter: 25

99 posts
More
I've been using the same method to get feeds from several sources. The only difference is that the atom link does work for me. Regardless, the URL of the feed is always the same as in the example above (but with your own user ID and labels, obviously).

As far as i can tell, the only downside is that the feeds read this way often contain duplicate entries. E.g. when news items are listed both on the "front page" and "tech" news feeds from a paper, there is just one item in the Google reader and the atom feed, but somehow four items show up in the widget.

Example: http://www.google.com/reader/public/...%2Flabel%2FNRC (Sorry for this being Dutch. I'm not fluent enough in French to read French newspapers without inviting major headaches)
1st January 2011, 01:56 PM   |  #144  
Thanks Meter: 101

451 posts
This is a great widget, thank you!

Any chance of configuring the tap action to start a certain application instead of a browser?
1st January 2011, 08:35 PM   |  #145  
Flag Cordoba
Thanks Meter: 494

750 posts
More
I like the app a lot, but I would love to use custom backrounds, I saw you made the background with code, I would like to have a 9.png wich I could change..

Great job!
1st January 2011, 10:15 PM   |  #146  
Flag Ames

37 posts
Donate to Me
More
Been messing with it for a bit now and it's great so far. Any way to get a solid black background?
2nd January 2011, 01:49 AM   |  #147  
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Uh, for some reason it stopped showing updates. All of the updates that came after the new year haven't shown up... but they show up in other apps/widgets

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App
3rd January 2011, 01:06 AM   |  #148  

10 posts
On Droid Incredible.

It says on the widget that I need LP or ADW. I am running LPP and it will not show any news. I added new york times and wall street journal, and tested the feeds, but it will not show any news. Any ideas?

EDIt: Seems like this widget doesn't work with CM 6.1 stable. I tried atomaRSS, and that doesn't work either. Oh well.
Last edited by twopint32oz; 3rd January 2011 at 04:16 AM.
3rd January 2011, 04:35 AM   |  #149  

15 posts
Iím facing problem with this widget. After installing it works fine, but after one day it stop loading new news and the refresh button is stuck in loading !!
Iíve tried to send the logs.

Any fix for this issue ?
3rd January 2011, 09:25 AM   |  #150  
Flag Hengelo
Thanks Meter: 25

99 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock you

Iím facing problem with this widget. After installing it works fine, but after one day it stop loading new news and the refresh button is stuck in loading !!
Iíve tried to send the logs.

Any fix for this issue ?

Have you tried to stop the app and clear it's cache (from Titanium or Settings->Apps)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread