Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,235 Members 51,472 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery from Power Off

Tip us?

tbcpn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default How to boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery from Power Off

I've had a Droid Incredible (AMOLED) for sometime, Unrevoked Forever. Flashed many, many ROMs and kernels, and numerous recovery backups.

Picked up a Droid X yesterday (still have my Dinc). Rooted using Z41, and have permanent root. Paid for and downloaded Bootstrap, and had ROM Manager from my Dinc.

I've spent a good six hours reading the various "how to" threads and Googling, but I'm not finding the solution to my issue.

I can boot into Clockworkmod Recovery from within Bootstrap.

But, I cannot figure how to boot into Clockworkmod Recovery from power off state. When I hold the Home button while powering up, hitting the Search button boots my DX into the stock recovery, NOT Clockworkmod Recovery.

I guess my question is, how / is it possible to make Clockworkmod Recovery the default recovery when booting from power off?

Looking forward to getting to know the DX community on XDA.

drewbe70
Old
Thanks Meter 3
To boot into clock work from power off...hold vol down then press power. Hold about 10 seconds. You should be good to go...

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewbe70 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tbcpn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbe70 View Post
To boot into clock work from power off...hold vol down then press power. Hold about 10 seconds. You should be good to go...

That is the method on the Dinc, which I'd tried. But, just now did it and released the power button after the Moto logo appeared and continued to hold the vol down, and there was the familiar Clockworkmod Recovery glowing green.

Old habits.

Thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tbcpn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drewbe70
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Cool, glad it worked. Was not sure about the exact timing though!

tbcpn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcpn View Post
That is the method on the Dinc, which I'd tried. But, just now did it and released the power button after the Moto logo appeared and continued to hold the vol down, and there was the familiar Clockworkmod Recovery glowing green.

Old habits.

Thanks!
Well, so I flashed a ROM (ApeX 1.3 which runs well), but once again I can boot into Clockworkmod Recovery via Bootstrap, but cannot (or have not found a way) boot into Clockworkmod Recovery from power down, even using the above method that worked with the rooted stock .340.

Not a biggie unless something bad happens, of course.

Thoughts? The ROM? Me?
The Following User Says Thank You to tbcpn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sheen160
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Well, so I flashed a ROM (ApeX 1.3 which runs well), but once again I can boot into Clockworkmod Recovery via Bootstrap, but cannot (or have not found a way) boot into Clockworkmod Recovery from power down, even using the above method that worked with the rooted stock .340.

Not a biggie unless something bad happens, of course.

Thoughts? The ROM? Me?
From Koush's website:

What if my phone won't boot? How do I get into recovery without the app?

When the hijacker runs, it will automatically create the "/data/.recovery_mode" file after it finishes. This tells the system that the next time it boots, it should boot into recovery. But, when the system starts, the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap will then delete that file when Android is fully started, to prevent you from booting into recovery. So what does this mean? If you fail to boot, simply pull your battery, and your next boot will be into recovery (unless your /system is *really* hosed, in which case you need to SBF).

I'd probably just press bootstrap recovery in the app every time you turn your phone on. So just in case you DO need it next time you boot up, it'll be there. Damn moto and their locked phone..
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, wake up and smell the ashes.."

tbcpn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheen160 View Post
From Koush's website:

What if my phone won't boot? How do I get into recovery without the app?

When the hijacker runs, it will automatically create the "/data/.recovery_mode" file after it finishes. This tells the system that the next time it boots, it should boot into recovery. But, when the system starts, the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap will then delete that file when Android is fully started, to prevent you from booting into recovery. So what does this mean? If you fail to boot, simply pull your battery, and your next boot will be into recovery (unless your /system is *really* hosed, in which case you need to SBF).

I'd probably just press bootstrap recovery in the app every time you turn your phone on. So just in case you DO need it next time you boot up, it'll be there. Damn moto and their locked phone..
That doesn't do it either. Must be the custom ROM.

Somewhat OT, but you're right about the "damn Moto and their locked phone." Coming from the Dinc, I'm not accustomed to this sort of hassle. Having said that, altho I've only had the DX for a couple days (and still have my Dinc), I am liking the big screen, albeit not as nice as the AMOLED, and the really solid build of the DX--it's a good phone. Looking forward to the Thunderbolt...

Zeklandia
Old
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Old habits.

Thanks!

I am on .605 base running MIUI ICS on my Droid X, and this did not work for me. I need to be able to access clockwork to fix my phone. Somebady plz help me!

infazzdar
Old
Thanks Meter 232

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeklandia View Post
I am on .605 base running MIUI ICS on my Droid X, and this did not work for me. I need to be able to access clockwork to fix my phone. Somebady plz help me!
Reboot your phone, when it's on the Motorola logo a blue LED will flash, when it does press the volume down button.

From there you can navigate to ClockworkMod Recovery.

Droid X -- Transformer -- Galaxy Nexus
If I helped you, consider donating!
Feel free to PM me with any questions!
The Following User Says Thank You to infazzdar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zeklandia
Old
(Last edited by Zeklandia; 24th November 2011 at 03:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
Talking Thank you so much!!!!!

YOU HAVE SAVED ME!!! Now where is that dang thanks button.
Is it possible to set up a MIUI / CM74DX-GB dual-boot with that menu?