How to set up GPRS/MMS on Virgin Network

Search This thread

sbgorner

Mar 2, 2005
For all of you who have had difficulty setting up GPRS and MMS for the Virgin network then the comprehensive instructions in the attached document should put you on the right track.

Attachments

• virgin_gprs_and_mms_settings.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,424

bryanwhitby

Jan 22, 2004
Cambridgeshire
MMS Virgin

Thanks for your help. Its now all working
It was the bit in MMS Composer causing the problem
it was trying to use the wrong connection
Now works Great
Thanks Once Again

Best Regards

johnocooper

Jun 15, 2005
Cingular

I read the PDF on setting up with Virgin.

Any chance of getting a document on setting up with Cingular? I have a XDA IIs activated with Cingular and need help getting GPRS and MMS to work.

sbgorner

Mar 2, 2005
Cingular

Sorry but I don't think that I can help as I have no details for your network. More importantly, as I'm not a Cingular customer, I wouldn't be able to test that I was setting up and documenting the connections correctly. I was only able to produce this document because I'm on the Virgin network and it took a fair bit of trial and error to get the connections right.

kfb

Aug 13, 2005
London
Thanks a million

Unbelievably helpful - thanks! I too have been playing with the settings provided by Virgin, but the GPRS/MMS combination was proving tricky! Would you perhaps be willing to give this to Virgin for others to get easier access to (if they're interested) - they tried to help but in the end said 'we don't support your phone so you're on your own'...? Thanks again for a BRILLIANT help file. Keith.

sbgorner

Mar 2, 2005
Glad you found it useful.
I've sent a copy of the document to Virgin and they said they'd pass it on to the relevant department so that they can check it for correctness! It remains to be seen whether they'll actually use it officially or not.

vicarpriest

Oct 15, 2007
Thanks for the link just set up all my connections. It seems Virgin hasn;t taken up your offer of letting peeps know about your instructions.

FireW0lf

Nov 16, 2006
Superb!

Virgin had no clue at all

I followed this, and bang - connected

1 note: If you get "could not connect for an unknown reason" just reset your phone

Thx for this

Ixtana_ran

Mar 30, 2006
Stoke-on-Trent
Just wondering if Virgin Network lets HTC Home Weather update over GPRS?
With O2 at moment, they don't! Home phone through Virgin so it could be cheaper.

tmobiletovirgin

Nov 9, 2007
Thanks

:confused: I have just set up my MDA Vario following your easy to use instructions, and I can now connect to the internet on Virgin (I have moved from T-Mobile). However, I cannot send an MMS message even though I have double checked the settings. Can you tell me if there is anything else that may need to be done, or have others had any similar problems? :confused:

markl9

Nov 29, 2007
A big thanks for this post, it saved me a lot of grief, as mentioned earlier Virgin were worse than useless.

rogertb

Dec 12, 2007
Newbie question

Thanks so much sbgorner - I'll show my ignorance here ! I have been able (when a signal is available) to connect via wifi which is, generally free. I have now, thanks to you, managed to set up a gprs connection (which costs via virgin) - I want to be sure that I ONLY use the gprs when i really have to - I've had a pretty good look but am not sure how I can tell which connection settings I'm using and how I can make sure the gprs is turned off when I don't want it. Thanks for your help. regards Roger

rogertb

Dec 12, 2007
Hi me again - Happy new Year everybody. Another little problem - I can get on internet with these settings and RECEIVE emails but not SEND emails or MMS. Any suggestions much appreciated. Roger

May 15, 2007
settings required for htc s710(vox) wm6 on virgin payg

I tried following the pdf but I dont know where any settings go as my settings all look different.

Could someone please help me.

Both the GPRS and MMS settings in Connections->GPRS need the following:

Connects To:
Access Point:
User Name:
Password:
Authentication Type:
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS
IP Address:

Ok, the MMSC settings needed in the Messaging->MMS are as follows:

MMSC URL:
WAP gateway:
Port:
Connect Via:
Max sending size:
WAP version:

Any help would be most greatfully appreciated. :)

UPDATE: I perservered for hours and hours and hours and hours and I finally sorted it! :)

Last edited:

plebb

Jun 23, 2008
Email

Hi, first off, thanks for the PDF. Brilliant, both MMS & GPRS working now. Something Virgin were not very helpful about.
I am trying to set up my email which is an NTL account but keep getting a message saying that it can't connect.
Any ideas if it is possible to set up email with Virgin?
Thanks.