[NOTICE] ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0+ and update-script

OP Koush

2nd January 2011, 06:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 894

917 posts
Hi everyone, I understand Clockwork 3.0 has caused some issues with flashing zips and I wanted to make a post that explains why.

To give you back history, there are currently two ways to create "update.zip" scripts. The first one is "update-script", also known as Amend. It was the first version of the scripting language created by Google, and was used in Android 1.0 and Cupcake (1.5). However, Amend has two serious design flaws:
Function arguments can not span more than 1 word.
The scripting language is compiled into the recovery causing image bloat and inflexibility.

Because of this reason Google REMOVED Amend support in Donut and beyond, and instead switched to update-binary and updater-script, which is also known as Edify.

However, Amon Ra and I kept Amend support in, to help ease the transition off its usage in ROM creation. CyanogenMod itself has already switched to Edify 9 months ago.

With the recent Gingerbread source code drop and the upcoming CM7 release, I needed to merge the latest changes from Google's Gingerbread recovery into ClockworkMod recovery. This meant finally removing Amend support, and switching fully to Edify. If you flash ClockworkMod 3.0 or higher, it will no longer install Amend (update-script) zips. Version 3.0.0.4 will show you the following message:

Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Android 1.5.
It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to the ClockworkMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery.
Please switch to Edify scripting (updater-script and update-binary) to create working update zip packages.

Please switch to using Edify, as it will be a requirement for CM7 Gingerbread based ROMs. I gave notice about this a month ago on Twitter.

If you must absolutely flash an older Amend zip, you can always flash an older recovery or AmonRa or the like and do it manually.

UPDATE:
Here's a 2.6 version (supports both script versions) and backs up wimax:
http://koush.tandtgaming.com/recover...supersonic.img
PLEASE TEST THIS FOR ME!
Please note, that once CM7 is released, Clockwork 3.0 WILL BE A REQUIREMENT.
Last edited by Koush; 3rd January 2011 at 03:07 AM.
The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to Koush For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd January 2011, 06:13 PM   |  #2  
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 13

258 posts
Thank you very much for posting this as I have been wondering why clockwork 3 would fail to flash anything. It looks like most devs are still using the old Amend because I have had to keep flashing back to Amon Ra to get any roms or kernels distributed on these forums to flash.

As of 3.0.0.2 it seems like wiping dalvik still has odd behavior. Is this finally remedied in 3.0.0.4?
2nd January 2011, 06:13 PM   |  #3  
Flag Suffolk County, Long Island, NY
Thanks Meter: 79

931 posts
Thanks for the update Koush, appreciate it
2nd January 2011, 06:17 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ventura County, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,176

3,839 posts
Donate to Me
More
So I'm not much of a dev.. is their a guide on how to convert amend to edify?

Sent From My HTC Evo 4G On The Now Network From Sprint Using Tapatalk Pro!
2nd January 2011, 06:32 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2

37 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah805

So I'm not much of a dev.. is their a guide on how to convert amend to edify?

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=pla...f=edify/README
2nd January 2011, 06:37 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ventura County, CA

3,839 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunzoje

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=pla...f=edify/README

Thanks. I took a look at this and...oh my. I don't understand it. Lol

The Following User Says Thank You to Rydah805 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd January 2011, 06:38 PM   |  #7  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 894

917 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy1d

Thank you very much for posting this as I have been wondering why clockwork 3 would fail to flash anything. It looks like most devs are still using the old Amend because I have had to keep flashing back to Amon Ra to get any roms or kernels distributed on these forums to flash.

As of 3.0.0.2 it seems like wiping dalvik still has odd behavior. Is this finally remedied in 3.0.0.4?

Can you explain what is failing with wiping dalvik-cache. Which ROM? Where is dalvik-cache located?
2nd January 2011, 06:39 PM   |  #8  
Flag Atlanta, Ga
Thanks Meter: 213

2,087 posts
More
thank you
I am very glad to here this. I have always had problems with clockworkmod. It have never wipe correctly. And since 3.0.0.2,, sure it has a new look and all, but looks mean nothing if it is not stable or fully functional. I have gotten error wiping dalvik, and now flashing. Thankful for a stable and fully functional AMON-RA recovery for my evo. I was beginning to think that the maker of this did not care. I see that I was wrong.
2nd January 2011, 06:45 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ventura County, CA

3,839 posts
Donate to Me
More
Have you tried 3.0.0.4? I had the same issues, but now only need to update my zips.

2nd January 2011, 06:50 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 4

69 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah805

Thanks. I took a look at this and...oh my. I don't understand it. Lol

I might be wrong but I do not think it requires YOU to do anything. The update script is something that is used when the zip file is created. They will need to start using the new language. From your part there is nothing you have to do unless you create flashable zips yourself.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread