[Guide] Getting ride of the Phantom Voice Mail Icon (NOT THE TEXT MESSAGE ISSUE)

Search This thread

Jetdr

Jun 19, 2010
Chandler AZ
Thanks to a suggestion made by a follow XDA Member (Can't remember his name sorry!!)

Actually you can fix the Voice Mail Icon issue!!! The one that shows up in the top left corner, NOT the text mail issue.

Takes an OLD sprint phone and some time.

First, put your EVO back to a STOCK ROOTED ROM.

Get your old phone out of the junk drawer (HAS TO BE A NON ANDROID PHONE) and call Sprint. Have the OLD phone switched back onto your account (thus removing your EVO from your account).

Once the OLD phone is activated follow all the steps to activate your voice mail account.

Call your phone from a land line phone and leave yourself a message, then call your voice mail on your old phone and delete it. MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO OTHER MESSAGES IN YOUR YOUR VOICE MAIL ACCOUNT.

Now you can call Sprint back and reset up your EVO. Once your EVO is all set up your EVO will reprovision your VM account. Follow all the instructions to get your VM account setup again. This would be a good time to update all the radios, PRI and PRL and make sure you update your profile.

No go back into recovery and wipe all and either NAN Droid back to your old ROM or start fresh. If you Nandroid back to a ROM with the VM Icon on it, don't worry it will clear off.

Use Google Voice if you can from this point forward. I have flashed many AOSP ROMs since going through all these steps and I no longer have to STARE at the stupid VM Icon.

Jetdr

Jun 19, 2010
Chandler AZ
Bump this back up for those that might not have seen this fix. Takes some time to get it all done but I keep seeing post on how to get rid of the Voicemail Icon.

This process works perfectly.

Vivix729

Jun 18, 2010
Thank you for posting this and explaining the issue in the unofficial CM7 thread. I was getting sick of people saying "use Google Voice" when they have no idea what they are talking about.

I have an old Samsung phone...may try this.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Vivix729

Jun 18, 2010
Just did this...about to flash CM6. *fingers crossed*

BTW, you don't have to call....you can just use the Sprint chat.

EDIT: OH MY GOD IT WORKED.

Last edited:

jxr94

Jun 15, 2010
This took me about a good 45 minutes, but the process was simple and the results were as described. I no longer have to see that pesky and annoying voicemail icon. A+ guide

zwizzle

Mar 3, 2010
Lincoln, NE
I just tried this on my Sprint Hero and it worked like a charm. I have three small things to add:

1. You actually don't even have to call Sprint or chat. All you have to go is log onto mysprint.sprint.com, on the main page scroll down to your device, and select "Activate a new phone" from the "Manage my device" pulldown.

2. If you get a "Data Call Failure: Error Code 67" message when you first reactivate your Hero/Evo, just update your Profile and everything should be fine. You may need wifi to do this.

2. I would recommend that once you switch back to your Hero/Evo, flash a new rom rather than nandroiding back to one with the voicemail issue. I chose to try a nandroid first, and the issue was still present (although this may have been because I had GV messages in my inbox, not sure on this). However, as soon as I booted up a clean copy of AOSP, the notification was gone.

I have been searching for a fix for this issue for months. Thank you so much for posting this!

Reactions: phazen18

indagroove

Nov 17, 2007
Hey, this is great. I hate talking to sprint, and that was the only thing stopping me. Will try this tonight. Thanks!
I just tried this on my Sprint Hero and it worked like a charm. I have three small things to add:

1. You actually don't even have to call Sprint or chat. All you have to go is log onto mysprint.sprint.com, on the main page scroll down to your device, and select "Activate a new phone" from the "Manage my device" pulldown.

2. If you get a "Data Call Failure: Error Code 67" message when you first reactivate your Hero/Evo, just update your Profile and everything should be fine. You may need wifi to do this.

2. I would recommend that once you switch back to your Hero/Evo, flash a new rom rather than nandroiding back to one with the voicemail issue. I chose to try a nandroid first, and the issue was still present (although this may have been because I had GV messages in my inbox, not sure on this). However, as soon as I booted up a clean copy of AOSP, the notification was gone.

I have been searching for a fix for this issue for months. Thank you so much for posting this!

p0rkguy

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Just did this and it took less than 30 minutes. Trying to actually start a chat with them took a bit of time for me though.
Nandroid back into MIUI and it disappeared a minute later.

dills2214

Jun 29, 2010
Just did this and it took less than 30 minutes. Trying to actually start a chat with them took a bit of time for me though.
Nandroid back into MIUI and it disappeared a minute later.

Same here. It helped that I had a land-line, and 2 sprint phones (EVO and my old dumb-phone)

I think I got lucky yesterday though. The night before I got up to level 3 tech and all they did was re-provision my voicemail account and that didn't fix it. Re-provisioning the voicemail does nothing, so you can tell them that if they want to try that first... it is a waste of time.

I got a level 1 guy yesterday and luckily, he had seen this problem before and was so easy to work with.

One thing he mentioned that may help people... when he sent me a voicemail on my old phone to delete, he marked the voicemail as URGENT. Not sure why that may help, but it worked for me.

I can use MIUI now without any New Voicemail (2) notifications!!!!!!!!!! I never thought I would see the day. Big thanks to the original poster.

-Apollo-

Mar 14, 2010
Tacoma
Not sure, but I think you would be able to re-provision using EPST. Back in the Hero days when we lost data we would dial ##data# and enter MSL and reset the data. The phone would reboot and all was good! I wonder if something like this would work for voicemail. I have not experienced this problem, just trying to help.

Vivix729

Jun 18, 2010

This is true, however....for some reason when I tried to do this, it gave me an error message and I still had to contact Sprint. I guess it depends on the phone you are switching to. So YMMV.

Tilde88

Nov 5, 2008
Thanks to a suggestion made by a follow XDA Member (Can't remember his name sorry!!)

Actually you can fix the Voice Mail Icon issue!!! The one that shows up in the top left corner, NOT the text mail issue.

Get your old phone out of the junk drawer (HAS TO BE A NON ANDROID PHONE) and call Sprint. Have the OLD phone switched back onto your account (thus removing your EVO from your account).

Once the OLD phone is activated follow all the steps to activate your voice mail account.

Call your phone from a land line phone and leave yourself a message, then call your voice mail on your old phone and delete it. MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO OTHER MESSAGES IN YOUR YOUR VOICE MAIL ACCOUNT.

Now you can call Sprint back and reset up your EVO. Once your EVO is all set up your EVO will reprovision your VM account. Follow all the instructions to get your VM account setup again. This would be a good time to update all the radios, PRI and PRL and make sure you update your profile.

No go back into recovery and wipe all and either NAN Droid back to your old ROM or start fresh. If you Nandroid back to a ROM with the VM Icon on it, don't worry it will clear off.

Use Google Voice if you can from this point forward. I have flashed many AOSP ROMs since going through all these steps and I no longer have to STARE at the stupid VM Icon.

HOLY THIS ON MY PHONE!

i hate it when people caps type... but this needed some yelling out of my system! thx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Bump this back up for those that might not have seen this fix. Takes some time to get it all done but I keep seeing post on how to get rid of the Voicemail Icon.

This process works perfectly.