XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Few details abt 2011 WP7 updates

Tip us?

abhinayp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Few details abt 2011 WP7 updates

Paul Thurrott from Windows Phone Secrets have revealed, well, some secrets about the upcoming Windows Phone 7 updates.
He writes that we can expect two updates this year the first expected to be announced this week, but only pushed in February by carriers, will be called NoDo (for no donuts), will bring support for the Qualcomm 730 smart phone chipset, a CDMA location stack, and a number of software fixes.
Of note is that the Snapdragon-based Qualcomm 730 chipset comes with HDMI output and the ability to play back 720p video on both its host device and a HDTV. It also supports Flash 10.1.
The next Mango, will come some time later in the year, and bring Internet Explorer 9 with with the Trident 5 rendering engine, HTML 5 and Silverlight, and gesture support. This 75xx (actually version 7.2) update will apparently bring additional, unrelated features as well.
Paul also mentions that Microsoft does not intend to push a number of small updates, but only a few large updates per year, which should mean long waits between each one.

Source:
wpcentral.com/thurrott-details-2011-wp7-updates-mango-and-nodo-as-no-donuts

wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-7-updates-nodo-and-mango-coming/
The Following User Says Thank You to abhinayp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Reflexx1
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I still believe that we'll see at least 3 updates in the year. 2 small ones and one large one.

Carriers could hold up and update for 1 cycle. That "advantage" would seem close to useless if the cycles could be almost a year apart.

Ren13B
Old
Thanks Meter 19
You misspoke when you said updates are pushed out by carriers. Updates are released by Microsoft but tested by carriers before officially released.

From the article:
Thurrott reports that NoDo will RTM in January, with consumers seeing the update in the early February timeframe, after testing by carriers.

Reflexx1
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I don't think it would be logistically feasible to push tons of updates and bug fixes as they come up, instead of cumulative updates.

The carriers have to certify them, and I'm sure that they have to be given a certain amount of time to do so.

Though I would like to see an aggressive update schedule. Maybe one every 3 months.

nrfitchett4
Old
Thanks Meter 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinayp View Post
Paul Thurrott from Windows Phone Secrets have revealed, well, some secrets about the upcoming Windows Phone 7 updates.
He writes that we can expect two updates this year the first expected to be announced this week, but only pushed in February by carriers, will be called NoDo (for no donuts), will bring support for the Qualcomm 730 smart phone chipset, a CDMA location stack, and a number of software fixes.
Of note is that the Snapdragon-based Qualcomm 730 chipset comes with HDMI output and the ability to play back 720p video on both its host device and a HDTV. It also supports Flash 10.1.
The next Mango, will come some time later in the year, and bring Internet Explorer 9 with with the Trident 5 rendering engine, HTML 5 and Silverlight, and gesture support. This 75xx (actually version 7.2) update will apparently bring additional, unrelated features as well.
Paul also mentions that Microsoft does not intend to push a number of small updates, but only a few large updates per year, which should mean long waits between each one.

Source:
wpcentral.com/thurrott-details-2011-wp7-updates-mango-and-nodo-as-no-donuts

wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-7-updates-nodo-and-mango-coming/
actually he said that there will be more small updates between now and mango.
Though mango sounds like a great update (IE9 with full silverlight and html 5)

Reflexx1
Old
Thanks Meter 14
The fact that "Mango" is being labeled as the "Entertainment Branch" makes me wonder about what the "Business Branch" is.

I think it's safe to assume that there is a Business Branch. So I wonder what priority is given to it. Will it come before or after Mango? Will it be released concurrently? What types of updates would fall under "Business Branch"?

canadariot2312
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I would say letting carriers in "testing" the update is a bad move on Microsoft's part. If it is anything like Palm, a carrier will push the update rather quickly (Sprint), while the other carriers will release it much latter (one month or more) and only because customers were getting pissed (AT&T and Verizon).

poedgirl
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadariot2312 View Post
I would say letting carriers in "testing" the update is a bad move on Microsoft's part. If it is anything like Palm, a carrier will push the update rather quickly (Sprint), while the other carriers will release it much latter (one month or more) and only because customers were getting pissed (AT&T and Verizon).
As it was said above, the carriers don't push the updates. When MS released WP7 they said all devices would get updates at the same time, regardless of device or carrier.
HTC 7 Trophy, HTC HD2 (Leo), Samsung Omnia i900, HTC Touch Diamond (DIAM100), i-mate JASJAR (HTC Universal)

Reflexx1
Old
(Last edited by Reflexx1; 5th January 2011 at 02:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
The proclamations of imminent failure are rather humorous. It shows 2 main things to me.

1. Some people have very short attention spans, and can't fathom the idea of a "long term plan"
2. Some people think that every other consumer wants the same thing that they do

Microsoft is in this for the long haul. The fact that they have stated that they don't expect to be in a position to beat the major players for at least a few years shows that they are looking at this as a long term investment.

There is a large portion of the mobile phone using market that hasn't upgraded to using a smart phone yet. Many people are happy with their regular phones because they feel that they don't need the features of a smart phone. However, every year, more and more of this very large market slowly moves over into the smartphone arena. These are people who want something that is slick, easy to use, and interesting. They don't need every feature under the sun. These are the kind of people that made the first iPhone such a success even though it severely lacked features compared to Windows Mobile. These are the people that the "Really?" commercials are targeted towards. People who haven't already jumped on the smartphone bandwagon because it just all seems like "too much."

The fact that MS is planning major upgrades to WP7 at all is awesome. It shows that while they are going for the casual feature phone user, they also want to get smartphone users as well. And the fact that they're doing it so quickly is even more awesome. After all, how long has the phone been out now? 2 months? 3 months by the time of the first update? Not too shabby.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reflexx1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PG2G
Old
Thanks Meter 63
I clicked on some of these articles and some were from March, September, and right around the time of launch. Seriously?