Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,327 Members 44,747 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

UrukDroid 1.6 (Android) on ext4, full r/w access, su (root), SDE

Tip us?

Kashban
Old
Thanks Meter 40
@bthoven: Yes, that seems to be correct.

Using ext4 partitions greatly increases the speed of the device and the space you have for apps and data, so I recommend doing Step 3 too.
1st Picture Calendar Widget THD Advertising Graphics

Devices

Samsung Galaxy S2 (CM11) - Samsung Galaxy S3 (CM 11) - Asus Transformer Pad 701 32 GiByte grey - Google Nexus 7 2013 32 GiByte - Huawei Ideox X3 (Stock rooted) - Sony XPeria J (4.1.2, rooted), TV-PC E-MC884-quad (Android 4.2), Samsung Galaxy Gea 1 (null_23)

$aur0n
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 499

DONATE TO ME
Hi!

I've updated release mod to 0.2 - anyone brave enough to try

Perhaps some future request? - I'm quite happy with this what I've made so far and have no real, big ideas for next releases (perhaps this adhoc and clean OC).
The Following User Says Thank You to $aur0n For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kashban
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by $aur0n View Post
Hi!

Perhaps some future request? - I'm quite happy with this what I've made so far and have no real, big ideas for next releases (perhaps this adhoc and clean OC).
Ahm... yes, will do, but not before 5 hours from now. I need my linux vm to replace the files on the first ext4 partition, and I don't have access to it from here.

Are you sure about 50 MiByte swap? Seems akward low to me. Or did you just miss the second zero after the 50?

One thing I think would be very useful: IPtables support. Otherwhise adblock doesn't work.

Devices

Samsung Galaxy S2 (CM11) - Samsung Galaxy S3 (CM 11) - Asus Transformer Pad 701 32 GiByte grey - Google Nexus 7 2013 32 GiByte - Huawei Ideox X3 (Stock rooted) - Sony XPeria J (4.1.2, rooted), TV-PC E-MC884-quad (Android 4.2), Samsung Galaxy Gea 1 (null_23)

thefunkygibbon
Old
Thanks Meter 19
so is it worthwhile upgrading my current class 4 microsd card to something better? given that the benchmarks i have run on the card (currently fat32) within my 101 are hideous compared to benchmarking the same card from a different device (desire/pc)

nimrodity
Old
Thanks Meter 1169

DONATE TO ME
i think i am gonna try getting root like bthoven explained,but it all sounds a bit hard for me,but I'll try my luck.

Sent from my A70S using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

I love to beta test all sorts of stuff
Please check my Android Blog TheDroidEffect
and my custom ROM comparison database

$aur0n
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 499

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashban View Post
Are you sure about 50 MiByte swap? Seems akward low to me. Or did you just miss the second zero after the 50?
Nope - it's not mistake. Since Android has autokiller for tasks, usually it will first kill then let it go swap. Like for now I've newer been able to use more then 50MiB of swap. Try it out - (free command in sh).

Quote:
One thing I think would be very useful: IPtables support. Otherwhise adblock doesn't work.
It's already there in 0.2 (/usr/local/bin/iptables) - haven't mentioned it because I've disabled it in kernel (I had not idea it can be useful on Archos) - will put it back in next rel.

Kashban
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Nope - it's not mistake. Since Android has autokiller for tasks, usually it will first kill then let it go swap. Like for now I've newer been able to use more then 50MiB of swap. Try it out - (free command in sh).

It's already there in 0.2 (/usr/local/bin/iptables) - haven't mentioned it because I've disabled it in kernel (I had not idea it can be useful on Archos) - will put it back in next rel.
From what I experienced my swap was used for one or two MiBytes worth of bits, but I didn't measure it during heavy duty. Will see if I can crank it up by starting some games, the amiga emulator and a web browser with some complex pages opened. Anyhow, with at least 8 GiBytes flash memory onboard and even more on sd cards, I don't see the point in keeping it so low. Doesn't hurt to have more around like, say 256 MiByte.

iptables are essential for adblock and droidwall. Both are very useful to keep traffic low and apps away from the internet.

Devices

cnewsgrp
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Hi!

I should be getting my new Archos delivered today and will try. Thats as brave as you can get

Ideas for next release
1) Probably script some of the steps so that they are easier for folks like me. I am from IT but still a bit confused by what we are doing because I am not familiar with tablets or linux/android.
2) Start thinking of a custom ROM - Would that be possible?

$aur0n
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 499

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
iptables are essential for adblock and droidwall. Both are very useful to keep traffic low and apps away from the internet.
Have you tried this method (changing DNS address of some add servers in /etc/hosts - so system can't connect to them and get adds?) - since it's rooted it should work easily.

btw. I've recompiled and checked for adds - iptables works without a problem (ver 0.3)

nimrodity
Old
Thanks Meter 1169

DONATE TO ME
damn with no knowledge of linux its harder than i thought.
1st thing i dont know how how create the sd card(do i need linux for this,or is it possible with windows)
tried bthoven step but i think something wrong there.
He creates the card after getting root,but how can i start the rooted android without the sd card.
I followed his step till point 17,but other than the archos logo showing up nothing happens.
But till this point i didnt even use the rootfs.tar.gz so how should something boot up,just with flashing the kernel and initramfs.cpio.gz,because i believe i need the rootfs.tar.gz extracted on the created sd,or am i wrong?

Tags
archos, ext4, gen8, root, urukdroid