Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,442 Members 40,099 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Dev] AOSP Gingerbread

Tip us?

SubnetMask
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryelv View Post
Very very difficult considering it took a team of developers a few months on the EVO to get 4G working with a AOSP kernel. I guess it will depend on how Samsung releases the code, they'll probably not release the 4g code because it doesn't fall under the GPL. If they were to release the drivers as modules that could be included in a kernel, that would be great, but I doubt they'd do that either.

In other words... don't hold your breath...

-Daryel
Only problem there is the EVO and Epic have VERY different WiMax radios. From everything I've heard, the Epic's radio follows Linux standard, whereas the EVO's does not, making the WiMax radio in the Epic much easier to get functioning than the EVO's.

schnowdapowda
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubnetMask View Post
Only problem there is the EVO and Epic have VERY different WiMax radios. From everything I've heard, the Epic's radio follows Linux standard, whereas the EVO's does not, making the WiMax radio in the Epic much easier to get functioning than the EVO's.
Well I hope so.. do you have a source on that? Id love to read up on the differences.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

doin' that rag

shabbypenguin
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,927

DONATE TO ME
the evo wimax was filled with proprietary bits, and even then it was reversed and still using htc stuff.

whats the status on this? as i would imagine unless your building the kernel against current cm6 source your not going to get a whole lot farther then a kernel panic... but thats just my theory on it all
If you feel as though my work is worth something, you can alwaysDonate

msponsler
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by furysama View Post
The reason it took the CM team so long is because they developed their own drivers from the ground up. I'm willing to bet that it's much easier to rip the drivers out of the kernel we already have than to replicate the work that the CM team did.
The GPL licensing is *why* the CM team developed their own drivers; not because its impossible to get Samsung's code, but because doing so would have violated the licensing terms of Samsung's code and of Cyanogenmod.
AOSP Gingerbread != the kernel.

Gingerbread (android in general basically) is the set of programs, daemons, etc... that sit in user space and interact with the kernel, that sits in kernel space.

You wouldn't necessarily need 2.6.35 (kernel on nexus s gingerbread) to run gingerbread. Obviously, 2.6.35 would have the best features and optimizations for Gingerbread -- since it was written for 2.6.35. But you could technically use 2.6.29 and on. As long as gingerbread does not make any specific system calls into kernel space that are only supported with 2.6.35 and onward.

The specific module's source files for the SGX530 video, Qualcomm QSC6085, etc... are included with samsung's 2.6.29 kernel source. I'm trying to compile them with 2.6.36, and will try with 2.6.35 as well. Modules can be a lot trickier, as they usually are a lot more tailored for a specific kernel. Especially if they are already compiled.

A couple of avenues that I am taking:
-Attempt to compile epic 4g's modules with 2.6.36, 2.6.35, and on backward.
-I re-compiled samsung's 2.6.29 kernel with the driver modules and ext4, etc... I'm going to attempt to run gingerbread off that, and watch how quickly it blows up...
-I'm going to look at other kernel's, like noobnl's kernel he put in cyanogenmod. It's 2.6.32, and it has video / wifi / CDMA radio / etc.. in it. I need to get ahold of him and figure out a) what source is he using -- from samsung, kernel.org, etc... and what modules he's using. b) his .config file for the kernel.
I'm going to take the same avenue with Dameon87 about his compiled kernel's for epic 4g froyo. As well as looking toward the manufacturer for information about their kernel drivers for their hardware.

Using 2.6.35 modules from the nexus s kernel wouldn't be too bad for things like the camera, wifi, video, etc... but WOULD be a problem with the CDMA radio / GPS since they are different obviously (CDMA vs. HSPA+).

I've got a bunch of options and ideas I'm throwing around in my head. Feel free to contribute your thoughts / concerns / ideas. I'm not trying to do this in the dark and say "look what I did on my own!" if / when I get any type of usable progress. It's Linux, and it's a community effort :)

With that said, I will work diligently on this as much as possible. Between work (and if you've ever been a Sys Admin, you know that you're never really "off the clock"), my wife, my addictive StarCraft II habit, the gym, and every Thursday happy hour... I'm focused on this 100%!!!

kenvan19
Old
Thanks Meter 543

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbypenguin View Post
the evo wimax was filled with proprietary bits, and even then it was reversed and still using htc stuff.

whats the status on this? as i would imagine unless your building the kernel against current cm6 source your not going to get a whole lot farther then a kernel panic... but thats just my theory on it all
Kernel panic!

~Phone History~
HTC MyTouch 3G (Sold)>Samsung Epic 4G (Traded)>HTC Evo 4G (Sold)>Samsung Nexus S (Sold)>T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 2 (AKA Hercules)

This message brought to you through the wonders of the web and Google via Android (Samsung Hercules), ChromeOS (Google Cr-48), or Chrome (Apple Macbook Pro)!

shabbypenguin
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,927

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by msponsler View Post
AOSP Gingerbread != the kernel.

Gingerbread (android in general basically) is the set of programs, daemons, etc... that sit in user space and interact with the kernel, that sits in kernel space.

You wouldn't necessarily need 2.6.35 (kernel on nexus s gingerbread) to run gingerbread. Obviously, 2.6.35 would have the best features and optimizations for Gingerbread -- since it was written for 2.6.35. But you could technically use 2.6.29 and on. As long as gingerbread does not make any specific system calls into kernel space that are only supported with 2.6.35 and onward.

The specific module's source files for the SGX530 video, Qualcomm QSC6085, etc... are included with samsung's 2.6.29 kernel source. I'm trying to compile them with 2.6.36, and will try with 2.6.35 as well. Modules can be a lot trickier, as they usually are a lot more tailored for a specific kernel. Especially if they are already compiled.

A couple of avenues that I am taking:
-Attempt to compile epic 4g's modules with 2.6.36, 2.6.35, and on backward.
-I re-compiled samsung's 2.6.29 kernel with the driver modules and ext4, etc... I'm going to attempt to run gingerbread off that, and watch how quickly it blows up...
-I'm going to look at other kernel's, like noobnl's kernel he put in cyanogenmod. It's 2.6.32, and it has video / wifi / CDMA radio / etc.. in it. I need to get ahold of him and figure out a) what source is he using -- from samsung, kernel.org, etc... and what modules he's using. b) his .config file for the kernel.
I'm going to take the same avenue with Dameon87 about his compiled kernel's for epic 4g froyo. As well as looking toward the manufacturer for information about their kernel drivers for their hardware.

Using 2.6.35 modules from the nexus s kernel wouldn't be too bad for things like the camera, wifi, video, etc... but WOULD be a problem with the CDMA radio / GPS since they are different obviously (CDMA vs. HSPA+).

I've got a bunch of options and ideas I'm throwing around in my head. Feel free to contribute your thoughts / concerns / ideas. I'm not trying to do this in the dark and say "look what I did on my own!" if / when I get any type of usable progress. It's Linux, and it's a community effort :)

With that said, I will work diligently on this as much as possible. Between work (and if you've ever been a Sys Admin, you know that you're never really "off the clock"), my wife, my addictive StarCraft II habit, the gym, and every Thursday happy hour... I'm focused on this 100%!!!

not to be a dick but where did you hear that it has hspa+? :P even google seems to be convinced its just regular umts
If you feel as though my work is worth something, you can alwaysDonate

Zeinzu
Old
Thanks Meter 1,081
I think its time all the epic devs jumped onboard with this and all collaborate as a team, if everyone were to work on this together I honestly believe it could get done

Sent from my Epic 4g
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeinzu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gophergun
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:

Wouldn't the CM6 Epic kernel source be available on his Github? https://github.com/noobnl

(Dunno if it's actually on there, but it might save some trouble.)

plapczyn
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeinzu View Post
I think its time all the epic devs jumped onboard with this and all collaborate as a team, if everyone were to work on this together I honestly believe it could get done

Sent from my Epic 4g
I'm in. Not super familiar with kernel building, but I am very familiar with embedded code development, cross-compiling, OSEK, debugging, configuration management, issue reporting etc, make-support, and flash bootloaders.

DevinXtreme
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Quote:
As far as I know, all he did was take the DK28 kernel, ripped out the initramfs, made some changes to point to various things, and repacked the zImage. We still don't have the source.
Phone: AT&T HTC One X (primary) Samsung Epic 4G (toy)
GTalk: DevinXtreme@gmail.com | Twitter: @DevinXtreme

- Team Epic CyanogenMod - @TeamEpicCM7
-Like what I contribute? Donate to the EFF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decad3nce in CM7 dev IRC channel
13:02 <Decad3nce> My own fails motivate me
13:02 Decad3nce butthurts himself