[DONATION] Froyo 2.2 for XT720 - Donation link and progress update here!

Search This thread

ronnbon

Aug 15, 2010
Hamburg
This project is about porting the korean motoroi froyo update to the xt720, not the xt701 or any other motorola phone of the x-series.
I don't want to exlude this right from the start- but this would happen after the a successfull finish of the major task- froyo for the xt720!

Donations are not connected to any securities- it is just your own risk- I absolutely take no responsibilty for the result!

Donation link for Dexter

Note: remember to write XT720 from your nickname @ XDA

-------------------------------------------
I deleted the list of donators and donations because one the one hand I don't know anymore who really donated and who just posted that he did and one the other hand I don't see any sense of it anymore since we received our goal to buy the phone.

If its very important for you we can ask Dexter for a list of the received donations and donators after the donations are all done- but people are still donating- so it makes no sense to me to ask for it know...

First of all: We reached the first and most difficult goal: collecting enough money to buy dexter the phone.

Second step will be Dexters first estimation of the situation after he received the phone and got
familiar with its pros and cons.

Last edited:

Posse666

Jun 16, 2010
I'm in. I need normal flash support. It can be 2.1, or even 1.6, but I really need only flash :)

solnyshok

Jul 10, 2006
I'm in. You better leave info about this thread on the moto forums, where there some .300 people signed petition for froyo update,

ronnbon

Aug 15, 2010
Hamburg
I wrote something at the motorola owner forum and linked it to this thread.

Please feel free to tell others about this... the more people, the more donators, the more money for a dev and more attention!
I realized afterwards what great story that would be: big cellphone company bilk their customers of promised update: so they took matters in their own hands...
(I hope my expression is not too clumsy..);)

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
added my $20
icon14.gif

joe206hdi

Nov 24, 2010
in as well

i could also do some translation job eng -> german if needed

i will also do flashings of test versions if it´s needed

joe

ronnbon

Aug 15, 2010
Hamburg
i could also do some translation job eng -> german if needed

i will also do flashings of test versions if it´s needed

great, thank you!

let's assume we're using us dollars in this thread?

yes ;)

Of course I already thinking how to manage this. Any help is appreciated- please PM me.
And- if somebody of you know special people for this job you can also tell me or even better: ask them if they would be interested!
Of course we will decide altogether about the dev but since not everybody will know suitable people the list will not be very long I assume.

en0203

Jun 29, 2010
20 bucks from me!

How about Dexter? He is very good with milestone, he can probably add milestone's goodies to XT720 as well.

Last edited:

d23wilson

Apr 12, 2007
I'm in (50$)

That is 100% guaranteed...under these conditions...the person who takes the contract/offer has a reputation/experience that is proven and are reliable and dedicated...I.e. don't want to give money to someone who thinks this will be a great learning experience for them.

And as a preference would like to see a development time line with certain end date and some offering of support..

Of course these are just mere points that a decent person would adhere too naturally, I like to think...but I like to express this because if I have doubts, I wont give hard earned money (i dont work hard...i just dont like work, which makes it hard) to anyone...like I did to Motorola LOL.

Sent from my Milestone XT720 using XDA App

ronnbon

Aug 15, 2010
Hamburg
That is 100% guaranteed...under these conditions...the person who takes the contract/offer has a reputation/experience that is proven and are reliable and dedicated...I.e. don't want to give money to someone who thinks this will be a great learning experience for them.

And as a preference would like to see a development time line with certain end date and some offering of support..

Of course these are just mere points that a decent person would adhere too naturally, I like to think...but I like to express this because if I have doubts, I wont give hard earned money (i dont work hard...i just dont like work, which makes it hard) to anyone...like I did to Motorola LOL.

That are good and quite understandable points. Of course we are still not at this point- but for me a kind of contract is a total necessity.

Lets wait a couple of days and than do a kind of brainstorming here- how much money do we need at least, how do we pay the dev- who shall it be- who will be the financier- how much time do we want to give the dev/ what is a realistic timeline- what exactly do we expect as result... and so on...okay?

TG2008

Dec 2, 2007
big cellphone company bilk their customers of promised update: so they took matters in their own hands...
(I hope my expression is not too clumsy..);)

Your English is good, and yes, that would be an excellent news read.

Coincidently, I was reading some CES stories, in particular a Motorola one. In this story, the device they were showing "...will initially be released with Android 2.2, but Motorola promises to release android 2.3 at a later date."

The first thing I thought of was the XT720. :rolleyes:

ceryus

Jul 1, 2010
Dubai,U.A.E

Sent from my Milestone XT720 using XDA App

What he said...im in for 20$ if the above conditions are met...someone will have to tell me where to send the money though.Good Luck!:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This project is about porting the korean motoroi froyo update to the xt720, not the xt701 or any other motorola phone of the x-series.
    I don't want to exlude this right from the start- but this would happen after the a successfull finish of the major task- froyo for the xt720!

Donations are not connected to any securities- it is just your own risk- I absolutely take no responsibilty for the result!

Donation link for Dexter

Note: remember to write XT720 from your nickname @ XDA

-------------------------------------------
    I deleted the list of donators and donations because one the one hand I don't know anymore who really donated and who just posted that he did and one the other hand I don't see any sense of it anymore since we received our goal to buy the phone.

If its very important for you we can ask Dexter for a list of the received donations and donators after the donations are all done- but people are still donating- so it makes no sense to me to ask for it know...

First of all: We reached the first and most difficult goal: collecting enough money to buy dexter the phone.

Second step will be Dexters first estimation of the situation after he received the phone and got
    familiar with its pros and cons.
    XT720 progress report

This post will now be updated during my progress, so you might need to mark this if you wish to continue to follow the updates.. I might also reply with changes, but updates will be posted in this specific post for now.

29-01-2011
    step 1 - port started :)
    - Initial camera findings... the /dev/hplens-omap is not part of the kernel, that makes new camera from 2.2 difficult to work.. as froyo 2.2 now has some camera functions included in the kernel, like zoom.
    - work so far based on latest milestone 2.2 leak (amazingly equal to xt720)
    - Camera with zoom works fine.. very strange, but i only take that as a positive start..
    - sensors for rotation seems off, button light only works if triggered in display auto/manual setting for now (can be framework bug)
    - wifi, bt, calls ok... hdmi not available in stock mod. (ill see if that can be included somehow)
    - kxtf9 driver missing in kernel, no support for compass/accelerator function. (will be checking 2.1kernel if its released, for kernel driver extraction)
    - flashplayer works (obvious i think)
    - 3g(hsdpa) data works
    - ClockWorkMod partly tested (Backup only for now tested, restore comes tomorrow) using modified edition not installing hijack..

- compiling kxtf9 module is possible, but registering so far fails (mobile reboot)
    - just noticed when email arrive, i get a notification led blinking in lower right corner? is that new? since a thread about says its not possible?
    31-jan
    - another "problem". tested HDMI on original korean rom, seems not to work?
    so, probably not easy to find out why when i got only 2.1 libs to work with.
    - CWM Recovery restore only for /system , rest is messed for now.
    - Froyo cam ported, works with 8MP now
    01-feb
    - First release ( link here )
    02-feb
    - First release re-run ( link here ) now using OpenRecovery which is confirmed working on xt720.
    03-feb
    - Second release ( link here )
    - Official uk 2.01 kernel used.. all sensors now activated.
    - still primarily using 2.2 release from korean rom.
    - added native apps functionality as uk kernel did not support it.
    - interactive govenor (thanks, nadlabak).
    - Fixed OpenRecovery, so an App is available instead of using ADB , all is now automated with DefyRecovery(thanks Tenfar for original app).
    XT720 beta stock release

So here is the first beta for review..
    i will not put any version on it for this release, before some more people verified it.
    the release does have more languages natively, but since its based on a stock android (milestone) release, you will for sure see differences.. but korean parts for telephone checks , baseband and carriers are gone.

Install instructions
    1. Install korean sbf(STSKT_N_79.33.50R ) using RSDLite
    - download korean 2.2 sbf (link posted previously)
    - boot your xt720 into bootloader (press power while holding VOL- + shutter button held during bootup)
    - when RSDLite application on pc says "connected" , your ready to flash
    - select the SBF
    - press start
    2. root it (SuperOneClickFor2.1.zip) - included with zip
    3. install xt720 recovery (included with this zip name: xt720recovery.apk )
    instruction use: VOL UP/DOWN in menu selection + POWER=SELECT
    4. reboot once
    4a. Using xt720 defyrecovery, chose install recovery
    5. copy the folder "goapkrev" to root directory of your sdcard.
    6. boot into recovery using the xt720recovery (boot recovery)
    7. restore the backup "stock22"
    8. wipe (factory reset) using original recovery menu on xt720 (NOT xt720recovery app)
    9. reboot

What does not work.
    -------------------
    - HDMI (i think)
    - light in buttons (manual activation using light on powercontrol works)
    - acc. sensors (kxtf9 driver still in the works, korean model uses lh33... chipset)

Download here
    ps: oc module seems not to oc correctly, so look for a fix in next update.
    note: its not motoroi baseband compatible (99% sure)
    (xt720 froyo) Dexter is our dev!! donation link here!

Its Dexters Job- now it is officiall!

I did not decide it on my own- but jr33 has a lot to do right now and because we still had an okay from Dexter he drew back.

To do the donation visit dexters website! LINK
    Donations will be done with paypal but: you DON'T NEED a PayPal account, just a credit card only; you get the option to sign in or proceed without an account.

IMPORTANT! Please leave a comment with "xt720" and your username to assign the donation!

Just to note it here too: I deleted the donations and donators list at the other thread- it makes no sense anymore since I don't know anymore who really donated and who not.
    And finally we reached our goal to buy the phone after all- If you want a list of all received donations from Dexter after all that will surely be no problem...
    I honestly would have done this for free... its not an easy task but nothing ever goes well when money is involved.

If Dexter is your developer then good luck to him, if you guys need any help or anything feel free to ask me. I can be most easily contacted via email. <myusername>@gmail.com