Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,262 Members 49,813 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Defy earpiece begining to fail (T-mobile US)

Tip us?

[UT] X-RAY
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyr View Post
As we can see from the video, it seem that, as i before posted, the defy call-speaker it's not soldered, so it's really possible that it is only a contact problem, but i'm not able to clearly see from the video where are the contact pins of the call-speaker on the mainboard...
can you pls tell me the time code where you saw the earpiece?

Step666
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1061
So, been asking around a bit and it seems that, in the UK at least, the instructions being given to retailers is that there is a known issues with the earpiece that is affecting some Defy handsets.
Apparently they're saying to send the phones back to Motorola to be dealt with.

That's a bit unusual.

Rhyr
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by [UT] X-RAY View Post
can you pls tell me the time code where you saw the earpiece?
Here the screen of the frame where i suppose is the earpiece.

At the left you can see two pins and i think that is the earpiece, but i haven't high quality photos, so i can't be sure of that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermata.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	487582  

WildBill1234
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I spoke with a Tmo (USA) rep and they asked me to pull the battery and look at the small sticker towards the top of the compartment. They were looking for either a blue dot or “BP” in the text above “made in China”. It seems that if your phone has either of these, you are in the clear...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WildBill1234 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bobbyphoenix
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill1234 View Post
I spoke with a Tmo (USA) rep and they asked me to pull the battery and look at the small sticker towards the top of the compartment. They were looking for either a blue dot or “BP” in the text above “made in China”. It seems that if your phone has either of these, you are in the clear...
Interesting.. I'll have to check and report back. I have mine since the day before Thanksgiving, and it's fine. Thanks for the tip.

bobbyphoenix
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyphoenix View Post
Interesting.. I'll have to check and report back. I have mine since the day before Thanksgiving, and it's fine. Thanks for the tip.
Checked mine. It has the BP there. I'm happy now that I don't have to worry! *crosses fingers*

scrannel
Old
Thanks Meter 17
From forum manager on the non-us motorola forum:

"Motorola is aware of a small number of DEFY users who have experienced lost audio through the phone ear-piece speaker. We have identified the source of this issue and have resolved the issue in production. Any consumer who experiences this problem should contact a Motorola customer support centre - here are our contact details.

U.K. Email: https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhe...direct/ask/p_c ountry_code/GB

U.K. Phone: https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhelp.com/app/call

If you're looking for support outside the U.K. Please visit the Support site for your region, Choose Mobile Phones and then check the "Contact Us" link in the left column to contact us directly.

Mark

Support Forums Manager

SteveChou
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyphoenix View Post
Checked mine. It has the BP there. I'm happy now that I don't have to worry! *crosses fingers*
If you have a BTxx or BFxx or see a Blue Dot on your phone's label beneath the battery door you can have confidence that your device is not affected by this issue as long as you are still able to connect a Bluetooth or Wired Headset and the issue goes away. If the issue does not go away with a Bluetooth or Wired accessory then you have a separate issue.

Mark
Support Forums Manager

Rhyr
Old
Thanks Meter 29
So, is it possible that isn't a pin-contacts issue?

bobbyphoenix
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChou View Post
If you have a BTxx or BFxx or see a Blue Dot on your phone's label beneath the battery door you can have confidence that your device is not affected by this issue as long as you are still able to connect a Bluetooth or Wired Headset and the issue goes away. If the issue does not go away with a Bluetooth or Wired accessory then you have a separate issue.

Mark
Support Forums Manager
I also have BF.