Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,606 Members 48,711 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: What do you like Windows Mobile?
Flexibility: Booting to Android, WP7, and WM on one device 98 49.75%
Versatile themes: Touch one, Sense, IPT 76 38.58%
IM a compulsive flasher/updater 51 25.89%
I like to customize everything 133 67.51%
It has everything i need and/or more 105 53.30%
im not a bandwagon jumper 33 16.75%
i hate iphone 63 31.98%
i hate android 13 6.60%
i just love microsoft 20 10.15%
i hate windows phone 7 27 13.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

[1-24-11 Update][Discussion] Windows Mobile Last Stand New Thread UP!!

Tip us?

coolsac32
Old
(Last edited by coolsac32; 9th February 2011 at 06:53 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default [1-24-11 Update][Discussion] Windows Mobile Last Stand New Thread UP!!

WM Last Stand HQ Codeplex Source

New Project Thread

Why Save Windows Mobile?
Code:
ok so the reason i amposting this thread is because we all know that windows mobile is dying due to: windows phone 7, android os, web os, and iphone os. i say that is total bs. not just because i am a die hard WM fan but because we are still creating more possibilities for our current WM devices. MAny of us have WVGA devices: topaz, rhodium, leo. and there are VGA, HVGA, and QVGA users out there too. and alot of us either cant change to newer phones because of the plan we are on (im on sprint SERO), no money, or we just want to keep the phones we have. i fall under all the above.  
More and more worderful mods are arrising for HTC Sense, like CHT, new tabs, and max manila. we have fully customizable themes for nearly everything. will we see this kind of user capability on WP7? not sure as of yet. 
So here is my proposition. We can let windows mobile die like the outside world wants, or we can keep on pushing until it is illegal to do so. 

im just combining all the ideas that i know many of you want to see happen:

In my opinion. the WM UI is so barebone and versatile, all the resources we have now can make this last alot longer. just put the pieces to the puzzle together. If any of you developers out there are interested. please let me know so i can update the post.

TEAM WM

I will try to post more info as i create it or find it

TO BE CONTINUED......
SAC Rom DEV

(My Visual Kitchen and ROMs)
http://www.4shared.com/dir/14897176/...c/sharing.html

Windows Mobile Last Stand
If you like what I do please Donate
PC History:
HTC Apache>>>HTC Mogul>>>Sprint Touch Pro>>>Sprint Touch Pro 2
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to coolsac32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

retsam88
Old
Thanks Meter 55
+1 to this,
I'd like to see some development on Windows Mobile. I know programming is kinda hard for this OS, but still, within talented hands still you can make wonders.

Devs are abandoning WM, because it's easier to do so.
Also don't force into new hardware, as most people cannot afford or change phone every 1-3 months. Also I like my HTC HD2 as it is.

IMHO Windows 7 phone OS is plain bloatware.....

coolsac32
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Here are some updates
http://sacdev.codeplex.com/releases/view/59079
SAC Rom DEV

PC History:

c_shekhar
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 34
Good idea.
Personally I have tried Android on my HD2 and come back to WM 6.5.2 as WM still has convinience of functionalities relevant to corporate/business environment.
Please -DONATE

Samsung Galaxy S Plus
My own ROM
GB 2.3.6 KQE/Feamod NOC 1.4Fix/SkyHigh Kernel 1.4d

HTC HD2
My HD2 3.04.23569bCS (Build 23563.5.5.0)

HTC Touch Diamond
My Diam 2.10.21051A.CS (Build 21051.1.6.3)
My Diam 2.11.21056c.CS (Build 21056.1.6.9)

HTC Touch Cruise
My Pola ROM 1.60.21014aCS (Build 21014)
My Pola ROM 1.60.931aCS (Build 20931)
Radio 1.58.25.14

HTC Himalaya
My Hima ROM 6.1.2a16CS(build 19209)
My Hima ROM 6.1.1c16CS(Build 19199)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c_shekhar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

coolsac32
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Yeah im trying to get more people to hop on while there is still stuff going around for WM.
SAC Rom DEV

PC History:

TeDeV
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
ok guys i got an invitation to this "WM Group" and i fully support it. Yes i am one of those people that believe, that winmo can do all the things that other platforms can do.
Tell me what android can do better than winmo for example. All that it has (and winmo cannot have) is animations. You wanna talk to me about the marketplace? Yes sure, it is a nice free library that you can find almost anything fast, but still this can work on winmo too, the only problem is that a lot of apps are paid in winmo (and they should be, developers need support, they don't work for fun)

WP7 is a useless thing. Microsoft had something with 1000 potentials, and they gave us something with 100. All it can do is play xbox games. The guys didn't even include silverlight or flash or countries support (good luck with that). Don't tell me that it will come with the next update and blah blah blah. They had like 5-6 years at least in order to complete this "operating system", and the final result was a black themed iphone with boxes.

I was testing WP7 on my HD2 earlier, and i was thinking that at least 60% of the things i was seeing there, can be transfered to winmo.

Anyway, it is true that a lot of developers have moved over to android or wp7 or iphone. I don't think that there is a chance of bringing them back, but i do believe that a new developer team can take place, and fill in the "gaps". But these people need motivation, and most of the time, this means donations. People go where money go.

I am doing my part with RapidRead , when i saw that TapaTalk was not going to happen on winmo, i was pissed, so i decided to do it on my own.

Support this project
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TeDeV For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

OndraSter
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 277

DONATE TO ME
This will be hard for me to write, as I really like WM too, but here we go:

WM is based on 5 or maybe even older kernel, optimized for devices with crappy or no GPU acceleration, rendering all on CPU. Everything is done on CPU. And as much as it is optimized, there is not enough CPU power for the rest of the system. If the system would incorporate newer drivers (as WP7 does from MS) and render all IE, UI, ... on GPU, half of the job would be done.
Now move to the other part - app programming.
WM is featuring a lot of similar code to desktop Windows, even more in .NET environment. But just take a look how much it also misses! It lacks any D3D/OpenGLES development! Well there is some D3D in .NET, but it is really stripped down. No universal OpenGLES and so on, and so on, and so on.

WP7 brought us (developers) awesome Silverlight with XNA support for gaming (DX9? I've seen some DX11 libs in system btw), enabling people to write one core for game and run it on all PC, phone and xbox and just always enahance the control to mouse and keyboard, touchscreen or Xbox controller.

Also not forget about lazy programmers for WM that lack any optimizations, or any suspending when not used - it is normal on winmo to have running app on background eating your battery and half of your CPU.

Should I continue?
Lumia 920 + 800 - Official WP AppHub developer

PINCH TO ZOOM ON ANY WINMO DEVICE! | Start Menu Back Gesture | LockScreenPatcher | Move the keyboard to the bottom
====
[CPR & PLG Resolution Convertors] | [Right Click Recmod and Reverse] | [REG/RGU Cleaner] | [Hacking ConnectionSetupDB files]
====
Do you like my work? Buy me beer.
Have you bricked your phone? I can reflash bootloader and radio when you can't anymore! PM me!

TeDeV
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
yeap, 90% of what you said, is that MS gave you a platform (WP7) to play games. go buy a psp instead of a pda

Support this project

OndraSter
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 277

DONATE TO ME
It isn't all about games. WM is filled with glitches that MS isn't going ever to fix. Like taskbar often going blank (not repainting). These glitches force you to reboot the phone - and how can you use that, when half of the time you have to reboot it each time you do something?
Lumia 920 + 800 - Official WP AppHub developer

PINCH TO ZOOM ON ANY WINMO DEVICE! | Start Menu Back Gesture | LockScreenPatcher | Move the keyboard to the bottom
====
[CPR & PLG Resolution Convertors] | [Right Click Recmod and Reverse] | [REG/RGU Cleaner] | [Hacking ConnectionSetupDB files]
====
Do you like my work? Buy me beer.
Have you bricked your phone? I can reflash bootloader and radio when you can't anymore! PM me!

TeDeV
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
taskbar going blank on winmo?
like never EVER happened. not even once. i didn't even know about that.
my WinMo is rock solid, i guess you need to change roms or apps

Support this project