Thread Closed

Discussion: Important XDA Announcement Regarding New Users

OP svetius

17th January 2011, 02:52 PM   |  #1  
OP User Experience Admin
Thanks Meter: 3,884

3,461 posts
More
This is for discussion about the recent news that we'll soon be disallowing posts to development forums for new users with 10 posts or less in an attempt to cut down on junk posts.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to svetius For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2011, 03:05 PM   |  #2  
XDA Portal Team / Senior Moderator
Flag T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...
Thanks Meter: 3,040

22,287 posts
Donate to Me
Thumbs up
I believe is a good new way of lowering down the crap-posts

What else a normal member can do to help?

- Report any problematic post by using the "report" button
- Help to improve and maintain a friendly ambiance

Thanks!
17th January 2011, 03:13 PM   |  #3  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Corona, CA
Thanks Meter: 108

1,014 posts
More
>25 would be better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thesecondsfade For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2011, 03:13 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Venice
Thanks Meter: 94

1,133 posts
Donate to Me
More
It sounds very very good. I'd like to suggest a little thing:
is it possible to ban thread with "HELP me please" title?
This type of title is common and doesn't help to focus the problem.
17th January 2011, 03:18 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 11

27 posts
Sorry but I think is not a good move.
I am massively effected by this move. My only posts and reads are in the development forums because I installed a "custom rom" the moment I purchased my new phone. There is no posting from me in the "other" forums.

How can I answer the maker of the custom rom?
Should i spam 10 meaningless posts in other forums just to get my right?

The term "development" in XDA is funny anyway because these forums have very little todo with development but with installing custom roms and other patches. They are not discussing "development" stuff in these forums.

Anyhow I would suggest to:
1. Have grace period of at least 1 day between registration and posting.
2. Have REAL development forums and separate ones for "custom kernels/roms" for the maker and their users.

Best Regards,
Daniel
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to spock2097 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2011, 03:28 PM   |  #6  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag South of Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 4,691

7,373 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock2097

I am massively effected by this move. My only posts and reads are in the development forums because I installed a "custom rom" the moment I purchased my new phone. There is no posting from me in the "other" forums.

The term "development" in XDA is funny anyway because these forums have very little todo with development but with installing custom roms and other patches. They are not discussing "development" stuff in these forums.

2. Have REAL development forums and separate ones for "custom kernels/roms" for the maker and their users.

Best Regards,
Daniel

Daniel, I totally agree with you. These are very valid points. Many people lurk here, mainly because they don't want to look stupid when they ask questions - and then, when they get serious after gaining knowledge here, they try something and they can't post? That isn't right.

The biggest issue here at XDA is what I mentioned above - people are hesitant to post because of the reaction they frequently get - on the flip side, those that do post in the proper areas for questions and answers are lucky if they get answers sometimes, I've had questions go unanswered, when I posted in what I thought was the proper forum (never in the ROM development forums). So what I think you really need to do is to come up with a good support forum for custom ROMs, and have knowledgable people read and help out in there - no matter how 'dumb' the question is in their eyes. From my experience, the only 'dumb' question is the one you don't ask. Will that 'cut down' on the 'dumb' questions? Yes, in the ROM development forums it will - only if they're answered elsewhere, however.

You have to remember, Android doesn't come naturally to everyone, some come from other 'worlds' where they know what they're doing, then they're tossed into the thick of it when they try to make the switch (been there, done that). Are there people who really shouldn't be messing with their phones? Of course there are. Is it XDA's job to let them know they're too dumb to be messing? Or is it a better plan to help those people learn? I've always found the latter to be a better plan.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinbeau For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2011, 03:31 PM   |  #7  
Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA
Flag At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Thanks Meter: 5,007

18,527 posts
More
Quote:

Best Regards,
Daniel

Well, that is kind of the idea. If you have questions or are not sure about something, you are supposed to try and find the answers by using the search engine. If you must ask questions, most device forums have a Q&A section where you can post. Keep in mind that the announcement says that you will still be able to read, just not post.

As for the "no real development" comment... these forums are not just guides to teach others how to flash custom stuff. It is called development because the roms, kernels, themes, apps don't just magically appear from thin air. There is a lot of work done to get a custom rom to even boot in a device (let alone get it to work properly). You need to tweak drivers, apps, test, test, and test some more before you can even consider releasing something. And don't even get me started in porting and kernel development.

The reason why you don't see the discussions about development is because they are heavily diluted by posts not related to the devving process (which include questions in the wrong place, flaming, thank you posts etc). Hence, the reason for this move. This is to ensure that the development sections stay that way.... as development.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to egzthunder1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2011, 03:39 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,479

5,763 posts
Donate to Me
More
All I can say is about friken time! I have been discussing this rule with a number of mods for a long long time now and frankly I still think 10 is too low, but its a great start and should cut a lot of the rubbish or at least make some people think twice about where they are posting their questions.
17th January 2011, 03:40 PM   |  #9  
Flag Jordan
Thanks Meter: 4

11 posts
Quote:

Best Regards,
Daniel

I agree with spock ("Live long and prosper"). For newbies, which I may still be considered, searching the forums is daunting. For example, I have an HD2. I was running Android off of SD for a few months, then just last week took the plunge to NAND. You guys are really making progress on cleaning up the forum structure, because at least now in the HD2 section there are different "development" sections for NAND and SD, etc. BUT, when you are searching for the perfect ROM, it is very confusing with all of the codes in the ROM names. It took me 5 different tries between NAND roms and CWR roms (using clockwork recovery, I'm not THAT DUMB) to finally get one to boot up. I was sweating for a bit!!!

Plus, when you use the search function in the forums, the results very rarely seem to match my search. I understand the experts' frustrations when a newb asks a question or needs help with something that's already been covered, but I have searched numerous times looking for help with bluetooth on a rom, or music skipping, or whatever. Sometimes, I'll take 45 minutes reading through the search results and will realize that none of them are even touching on the subject I was searching for.

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely grateful for all that the XDA team does. I visit this site daily, and follow the news with RSS on the Google Reader. I love it. But, since you're asking for suggestions, there you are.

;)
17th January 2011, 03:41 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 723

679 posts
Donate to Me
More
It's a shame that you guys need to enforce this kind of rule but we really do need something to keep this forum in control.

Good job.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread