[Q] Basic flashing questions

Search This thread

afritchen

Jul 14, 2010
Madison, WI
1. Is there a way to reboot right into the CwM Voodoo Lagfix recovery? The best way I've found is the Reboot into Recovery option in the ROM Manager and then once it's in CwM recovery (green) reboot recovery again. Then I'm in CwM Voodoo Lagfix recovery (red).

2. When creating a backup, should you always have lagfix disabled? Best to do the backups from recovery or is it acceptable to do it from the ROM Manager?

3. Speaking of disabling lagfix, I'm assuming you need to actually reboot when you disable it. Just choosing to disable it doesn't really do anything until you reboot, right?

4. I've seen a couple posts that recommend wiping cache after flashing. Does that mean Wipe Cache Partition? If not, what option is it?

dcow90

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 21, 2009
San Francisco
dcow.me
1. adb reboot recovery

But thats with your phone plugged in and adb set up.

2. You don't need the lagfix disabled. But it might be good practice to do so if it makes you feel more comfortable. Best practice: if you backup on a voodoo kernel, restore on a voodoo kernel and if you backup on a stock kernel, restore on a stock kernel. As in, don't make a backup on a voodoo kernel, revert to a stock kernel, then try to restore the voodoo backup.

Really, what you need to worry about is flashing kernels. The voodoo lagfix NEEDS to be disables when flashing from a voodoo kernel to a nonvoodoo kernel. PERIOD. The reason it is good practice to disable the lagfix is because sometimes rom packagers are silly and a package a kernel with their rom. You don't know this just by looking at something that says 'super_cool_rom.zip'. The only way to tell is if you look at the update_script and see if bml7 and bml8 are written over. If this is the case and have have voodoo enabled and all of a sudden remove a voodoo kernel then BAD things are going to happen. If you know what you're doing then no, you don't always need to disable the lagfix, but it's generally good to err on the safer side..

3. Yes

4. And yes

Sent from my USCC SCH-I500..

Last edited:

sageDieu

Oct 18, 2010
For the first, you can get a tool like boot control or quick boot and hit reboot recovery.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk