I am going to make a big thread for tips and tricks on saving RAM on HTC Sense/TouchFlo3D. Unless you have a HD2; you will experience a low amount of RAM when running Sense. It simply uses alot of resources. Here I have compiled my own list of tweaks I have found! If you have any, please add them to this thread!
1) Deactivate Unnecessary Tabs - Each Tab takes up it's own amount of RAM. I find deactivating them makes sense faster, and uses less RAM
Disable the Settings tab:
Search for the folder with the number that's the settings page (PageName = Manila:/settings.page).
Change Enable from 1 to 0
Disable the unused services:
- SettingService (be sure to first disable the tab)
- YgosrvService (Stock tab)
Change the service.dll to something like serviceXXX.XXX
How To use them:
Try them not all at once, disable a service and test Sense (restart/disable, enable on homescreen)
Example: For some reason if you rename AudioManagerService the homescreen doesn't work and sense won't start.
2) Deactivate HTC Volume Control - Saves you 2mb of RAM, Added at end of post
3) Deactivate Manilla Dialer - Saves 10mb RAM,
Delete this two RegKeys
REG KEY Registry\HKLM\SECURITY\PHONE\SKIN\
REG KEY Registry\HKLM\SECURITY\PHONE\SmartDial\
You will have the default WM dialer!
Warning: Back up your Reg keys if you want to get it back!
4) Kill AlbumSearcher.exe and AudioSearcher.exe - Saves up to 6mb RAM
After using Music/Photo Tabs, use MMTaskmanager (attached to end of post) and kill these .exes. Don't worry, they won't cause any damage to your phone.
5) Don't Use Landscape Mode - using Landscape mode has to load up all the individual tabs again and takes more RAM up. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila]
"EnableLandscape"="true" - Change ''true'' to ''false''
6) Try not to use Manilla Mods! - a pretty self-explanatory one, but i tend not to use these as they make the device unusable for me and freeze my phone up alot. They are great apps though!(e.g - Co0kie's Home Tab) They were built in mind for the HD2 with 576mb RAM. They are nice UI's but would you rather have more RAM to run more apps?
9) Disable Start-Menu in WM6.5.x - Saves 10-25mb RAM
Disable it but install Miro's startmenu replacement OR Kenia1234 Start-Menu Replacement which uses no RAM!
10) Disable WM6.5.x Lock Screen - Saves 5mb RAM
Uses the default WM6.1 lock screen which uses no RAM. Start > Settings > Lock > Windows Classic
11) Disable HTC Notification Manager - Saves 4mb RAM:
HKLM\Services\NotificationManager\Flags = 4
12) Disable HTC Notifications Enhancer :
HKLM\System\Shell\Notification\OEM\UseDefaultUI = 1
13) Disable HTC Menu :
HKLM\System\GWE\Menu\CUIHandler = 0
14) Disable HTC Date Picker :
Remove the key : HKLM\System\GWE\Commctrl\CustomDateTimeCtrl
15) Disable HTC Task Icons (battery, signal level...) & Pin Dialer :
Remove the key : HKLM\Security\ResOver\Bitmaps
16) Use 'lighter' ROMs - Using WM6.1 uses less resources than WM6.5. I find using WM6.1 I have more RAM, speed and better benchmark performances than WM6.5. I use this on my TG01. (used to on Touch HD)
17) Close programs when not in use! :P - Cannot believe I left this out in the other updates, but this is the most obvious one! Close apps when you really don't need them.
18) Use Standard WM Taskbars. i was using some custom Taskbars a few months back. Although they look great, I foud out they take up RAM. I decided to go back to the standard WM taskbar. 2mb RAM saved.
19) Disable Sense Temporarily When Running Heavy Apps - I found out that Opera Mobile 10 takes up a whooping 50mb RAM in use! With Sense + Opera running I have a mere 9Mb RAM to play with. So a simple tip, disable Sense in the today settings or 'mskips Today Screen Switcher' when using opera. When you finish browsing, simply enable it again. This also increases battery performance.
More to come... If you have any, please post in this thread!
NB: These could also potentially increase battery performance! Feel free to share your experiences in the thread
Check out post 2 for the warnings and problems... If in doubt, don't use them! :P
P.S- If you use these, please hit the Thanks Button, it will be much appreciated!