Beginner's Guide to Installing the SDK and Getting Started with ADB

Search This thread

BrandoKC

May 15, 2010
Kansas City
It looks like we may have some users that are new to rooting or to Android all together.
I posted these instructions in the perm root thread, but I figured putting them in their own thread would make it easier to find.
This is meant as a basic pre-cursor to following BCNice's perm root instructions.

I've added a link to TrueBlue_Drew's adb/fastboot guide here
If you use the method that I outline below just download his zip and extract the files to your desktop. Then move the fastboot file into your AndroidSDK\platform-tools sub directory. Thanks to Drew for putting together a great guide!
You will need fastboot installed to install BCNice20's recovery.img.

Make sure you have HTC Sync installed on your computer HTCSync

First download the SDK here
Make sure to dowload the installer_r09-windows.exe
Now install the SDK when prompted for the install path paste C:\AndroidSDK over the default path

Once you have installed it open it from the start menu
Select install packages
The main one we are concerned with is "Platform Tools"

Go to the start menu and right click on My Computer in XP Computer in Windows 7.
Select properties, then select advanced/advanced system settings in Windows 7, then environment variables, now go to the lower box (system variables) and select path then edit.
Paste the following as your path C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools then select o.k.

Make sure you have temp root via Visionary or Z4.
On your phone go to Settings, Applications, Development, and make sure USB Debugging is checked.

Now connect your phone to your computer and leave the connection type as "charge only"

On your computer select Start, then run, type in CMD
Once in the Command Prompt enter
Code:
cd C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools
The next line should pop up C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools>
Now test adb by typing in
Code:
adb

If adb runs you are ready to start!
Type
Code:
adb shell
Then type
Code:
su
Allow Superuser on your phone
You are now in and ready to follow BCNice's directions

Last edited:

herbthehammer

May 16, 2010
Here's some adb stuff that I found from the evo days that has linux, mac, and windows adb and some of the files it needs. I flashed the evo with it so it should work for the shift too. I used an all in one for the epic to root mine in windows. I just extracted the zip and ran adb inside it. I could have included that or instead but there were a lot more files in there pertaining to recovery, root exploits, and images of things I didn't know if they could safely be removed and still work or not. I used the mac version of the file in this package instead of running back and forth from win to mac. I purposely keep the win partition off the internet. Yeah, vmware works but sometimes it doesn't and I didn't want to risk anything when flashing a phone.

As usual, use at your own risk. It worked for me in the past so I don't see any reason why it won't work now. Make note of the adb program naming schemes because they aren't just "adb". I uploaded this because it was very useful to me in the past and I've always failed or got lost when trying to set up sdk per google's instructions. It's very stripped down so don't expect it to be as fully functional as the sdk would be.

If you want to do it the way I did then head over to the epic section and get the all in one root and recovery in the dev section, unzip it, then use the adb.exe inside. Don't use any bat files or scripts in there, you might brick the phone.

Attachments

• adbstuff.zip
    3 MB · Views: 357
  • fastboot-linux.zip
    60.4 KB · Views: 34
  • fastboot-mac.zip
    57.7 KB · Views: 23
  • fastboot.exe.zip
    279.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

JigSawMan

Sep 28, 2007
As a Win7 64bit user, I had the additional steps of downloading and installing HTC Sync so that Win7 would install the proper drivers for my phone before I could use adb shell to access my shift.

jdeloach

Jul 4, 2010
Alabama
I used adbwireless and it worked first shot!
Time to work on some roms...;-)

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

koolkid09

May 16, 2010
So is there like a video review or a picture review of this. I am trying to do the steps, but the process is different from your steps. I have tried this on xp and windows 7

koolkid09

May 16, 2010
When I get to this step

"On your computer select Start, then run, type in CMD
Once in the Command Prompt enter cd C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools
Now test adb by typing in adb"

It tells me "The system cannot find the path specified"

Can anyone help me.

all of my drivers are installed for my phone.

BrandoKC

May 15, 2010
Kansas City
When I get to this step

Can anyone help me.

You need to locate the SDK and rename it. It should be on your C drive in the program files folder and the android sub folder.
Once you have located the folder I believe is named android-sdk-windows right click on it and rename it to AndroidSDK.
Then open up a new window in My Computer on Windows XP or Computer on Windows 7.
Open the C drive and then drag the renamed AndroidSDK file over to the root of the C drive.(not in any folder)

Reactions: koolkid09

koolkid09

May 16, 2010
You need to locate the SDK and rename it. It should be on your C drive in the program files folder and the android sub folder.
Once you have located the folder I believe is named android-sdk-windows right click on it and rename it to AndroidSDK.
Then open up a new window in My Computer on Windows XP or Computer on Windows 7.
Open the C drive and then drag the renamed AndroidSDK file over to the root of the C drive.(not in any folder)

Ok. I deleted everything and I am going to try over.

koolkid09

May 16, 2010
OK.. When I'm first trying to install it do I install it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk-windows. That is the defualt place it wants me to install it to. (I am on Windows 7)

BrandoKC

May 15, 2010
Kansas City
I've updated the original post with some more specific instructions for Windows 7.
I had to reboot my computer before I could move the SDK to the C drive and rename it.
The first time I entered the command prompt adb wouldn't work, but I closed it out and the second time it worked flawlessly.

alher591

Sep 26, 2009
Chicago
Ok thanks BrandoKc. Coming from windows mobile it would of tooken me a while to figure this adb stuff I out. I have a question??? I just finished rooting... if I hard reset does this break the root???

BrandoKC

May 15, 2010
Kansas City
OK.. When I'm first trying to install it do I install it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk-windows. That is the defualt place it wants me to install it to. (I am on Windows 7)

That will work! Once installed there and updated rename it to AndroidSDK and move it to the root of the C drive. You may need to reboot your computer before it allows you to edit the folder.

BrandoKC

May 15, 2010
Kansas City
Ok thanks BrandoKc. Coming from windows mobile it would of tooken me a while to figure this adb stuff I out. I have a question??? I just finished rooting... if I hard reset does this break the root???

By hard reset I assume you mean factory reset. It may but you can re root if it does.
I'm glad to have helped. I know when I rooted my Hero I nearly shatted a bricked Hero.

koolkid09

May 16, 2010
UGH! Now my SDK manager is not working. It pops up then goes away and I can keep it up. This is happening on this step "Once you have installed it open it from the start menu". I'm probably going to wait until the morning or somebody makes a video on how to do this because I'm getting frustrated.

alher591

Sep 26, 2009
Chicago
By hard reset I assume you mean factory reset. It may but you can re root if it does.
I'm glad to have helped. I know when I rooted my Hero I nearly shatted a bricked Hero.
Lol. As from my language... You can tell I come from windows mobile, in those forums we refered a factory reset as a hard reset and a soft reset as a battery pull

BrandoKC

May 15, 2010
Kansas City
Lol. As from my language... You can tell I come from windows mobile, in those forums we refered a factory reset as a hard reset and a soft reset as a battery pull

Once we have a recovery you will definitely be able to wipe/hard reset/factory reset without losing root.
I would imagine at this point you should be able to without losing root also.
Left WinMo when the G1 came out and haven't looked back. Enjoy Android!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It looks like we may have some users that are new to rooting or to Android all together.
    I posted these instructions in the perm root thread, but I figured putting them in their own thread would make it easier to find.
    This is meant as a basic pre-cursor to following BCNice's perm root instructions.

I've added a link to TrueBlue_Drew's adb/fastboot guide here
    If you use the method that I outline below just download his zip and extract the files to your desktop. Then move the fastboot file into your AndroidSDK\platform-tools sub directory. Thanks to Drew for putting together a great guide!
    You will need fastboot installed to install BCNice20's recovery.img.

Make sure you have HTC Sync installed on your computer HTCSync

First download the SDK here
    Make sure to dowload the installer_r09-windows.exe
    Now install the SDK when prompted for the install path paste C:\AndroidSDK over the default path

Once you have installed it open it from the start menu
    Select install packages
    The main one we are concerned with is "Platform Tools"

Go to the start menu and right click on My Computer in XP Computer in Windows 7.
    Select properties, then select advanced/advanced system settings in Windows 7, then environment variables, now go to the lower box (system variables) and select path then edit.
    Paste the following as your path C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools then select o.k.

Make sure you have temp root via Visionary or Z4.
    On your phone go to Settings, Applications, Development, and make sure USB Debugging is checked.

Now connect your phone to your computer and leave the connection type as "charge only"

On your computer select Start, then run, type in CMD
    Once in the Command Prompt enter
    Code:
    cd C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools
    Now test adb by typing in
    Code:
    adb

If adb runs you are ready to start!
    Type
    Code:
    adb shell
    Then type
    Code:
    su
    Allow Superuser on your phone
    You are now in and ready to follow BCNice's directions
    When I get to this step

Can anyone help me.

im having trouble with this whole process i have no idea what im doing wrong. After im in CMD and type adb it give me this long message and doesnt start adb. I dont think i have the driver installed correctly but im not sure im reinstalling htc sync now and hope that works.

Long message is good, next step is to type
    Code:
    adb shell
    you should be greated with
    Code:
    $
    I was denied access when i typed SU in upper case. Changed to su in lower case and immediatly recieved a prompt on my phone.
    I thought temp root was enough to downgrade and fully root? Flash misc partition and downgrade = win?

Sent from my PG06100 using xda premium

You can, the post was made in august when that method was not known.
    Hopefully they've realized that :D

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk