[Q] /EFS folder empty?

Search This thread

hiroshik

Jan 25, 2011
I own a SIM locked Tab from Bell Canada and I'm working on unlock the SIM lock. I just used Z4root get the root privilege and was about to use RootExplorer to backup the /EFS folder to a microSD card. But the RootExplorer didn't show any file under the /EFS folder. I rebooted and checked again, still nothing in the folder.

ROM version: P1000XXJID

So what's going on here? Can anyone offer some suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
Was this an out of the box new tab or used? The empty efs folder is evidence of someone trying to avoid the t-mobile redirect when using the internet.

Go to settings> about device> phone etc and see what your serial number and IMEI number are.

hiroshik

Jan 25, 2011
Thanks for you response captain.

The tab is a sealed one (it's from authorized bell retailer), but the store claimed they got a batch of tabs with phone function (could be pre-flashed to some euro rom??). Just checked the SN and IMEI, they all match to the label on the back of tab.

The baseband version is P1000XXJID, don't know if this is the one for bell canada.

Last edited:

hiroshik

Jan 25, 2011
Captain, everything else works in the way as they should do. But I cannot unlock the SIM lock until I modify nv_data.bin file under the /EFS folder, can I?

So under this circumstances, how can I perform the SIM unlock?

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
Put in a sim from another carrier and see what happens - my guess is it's already unlocked. Anytime you use another sim you have to change the apn setting. That's in settings> wireless network> mobile network settings>access point name. If you don't know the particular details (approximately 14 entries), search xda for it, or google it. Usually I get lucky and the settings are already there when I go to change them.

hiroshik

Jan 25, 2011
Captain, I entered *#7465625# and it says Network Lock is "ON". I've searched everywhere....ahh, drives me crazy...

cromed

Jun 28, 2010
First of all, make sure that your device is rooted, after this install from the market: superuser, busybox & super manager.
Open super manager and give them root access in settings. This worked for me.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

pakalrtb

Jan 23, 2010
Roatan - Bay Islands
If your /efs folder "appear" to be empty it's because you do NOT have root privileges. The files are there you just can't see them.
You need to root your tab b4 anything else.
P_

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
I own a SIM locked Tab from Bell Canada and I'm working on unlock the SIM lock. I just used Z4root get the root privilege and was about to use RootExplorer to backup the /EFS folder to a microSD card. But the RootExplorer didn't show any file under the /EFS folder.

He already has root and installed Root Explorer.

I think you should put in another carrier's sim card and verify lock/unlock.

Cromed makes a good point. Is Superuser installed? And have you installed the latest busybox from the market?

hiroshik

Jan 25, 2011
I put in Rogers SIM card, the tab asked me for unlock code after bootup. I dismissed it and then the tab only allowed me dial emergency numbers.

I switched back to Bell SIM and using z4root to unroot and then rooted again. The root explorer still couldn't find any file under the efs folder.

P.S. I have installed both superuser and busybox from the market.

hiroshik

Jan 25, 2011
Captain, do you think it is possible that the retailer deleted the nv_data.bin file? It was quite suspicious that he mentioned of "official unlock service is available for $60". Assume they delete such file makes us no way to unlock the tab but pay for an "official service"...

And the tab comes with firmware with phone function which is supposed not available on Bell tab? Is P1000XXJID an euro firmware?

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
I'm sure that's what happened. I saw somewhere Roto sent someone a blank file for them to edit. Maybe search the forum. Have you flashed any rom yet? I deleted my efs folder contents and now files are in there.

Reactions: hiroshik

hiroshik

Jan 25, 2011
Captain, I have NOT personally flashed any rom. Maybe i should re-flash the tab. Anyway, thanks for your help.

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
I just backed up my efs folder, then flashed Roto JMG, the full install, which wipes your sd card, and the efs folder had all the usual files and folders.

I would flash, because you don't need to be unlocked to do that.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

Tony_M

Oct 5, 2007
The files only show up when you use a file manager with root access enabled. I had to download Super Manager (free) and give it root access in its settings and then I could see them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm sure that's what happened. I saw somewhere Roto sent someone a blank file for them to edit. Maybe search the forum. Have you flashed any rom yet? I deleted my efs folder contents and now files are in there.