Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,719 Members 38,382 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Garmin-Asus Nüvifone A50, update to froyo or gingerbread?

Tip us?

kowalskie
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question Garmin-Asus Nüvifone A50, update to froyo or gingerbread?

Hi@all. I bought the android device nüvifone a50. It comes with eclair. I heared, that the joined-venture between garmin and asus is at the end. So, there`ll be no official rom-updates to gingerbread or so in the future. I think, this device is a very good one. And it would be great, if some of the great rom-cookers from this forum would create a custom rom based on an gingerbread-rom in german and english language.
I`ll not a rom cooker, but i have already rooted my device and i would learn more about rom-cooking, adb, busy-box pp.

Would anybody help me?

Best regards

kowalskie

kowalskie
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalskie View Post
Hi@all. I bought the android device nüvifone a50. It comes with eclair. I heared, that the joined-venture between garmin and asus is at the end. So, there`ll be no official rom-updates to gingerbread or so in the future. I think, this device is a very good one. And it would be great, if some of the great rom-cookers from this forum would create a custom rom based on an gingerbread-rom in german and english language.
I`ll not a rom cooker, but i have already rooted my device and i would learn more about rom-cooking, adb, busy-box pp.

Would anybody help me?

Best regards

kowalskie
Has nobody an idea??

regards

hard8
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I would also love to see a Gingerbread ROM for the A50.
Is it possibel to use any of the other ROM's or does the phone need to have a Rom made specfically for it?

hi12342
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'd also love to see Gingerbread or Froyo on this phone, is anyone going to make one?

honestonline
Old
(Last edited by honestonline; 24th April 2011 at 05:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
hey guys sorry for interrupting!!! I just was passing looking for something else, garmin asus wont support any rom after 2.1 because the chip does not support this OS.
basically its 256 ROM, 256 RAM, 600 MHtz CPU, ARMv6
but you need ARMv7
btw, I would be happy to have it on mine too.

kanyewest808
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestonline View Post
hey guys sorry for interrupting!!! I just was passing looking for something else, garmin asus wont support any rom after 2.1 because the chip does not support this OS.
basically its 256 ROM, 256 RAM, 600 MHtz CPU, ARMv6
but you need ARMv7
btw, I would be happy to have it on mine too.
Hi I 'M a new man here . i bought asus garmin a50 last week .i think it's costs-effective android phone . the hardware almost same as the htc legend,excpet the ram .256vs 387(right).so why htc legend could update to froyo ,a50 can't ???

sharky_k
Old
(Last edited by sharky_k; 5th May 2011 at 09:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
The A50 (Garminfone) has the 600mhz ARMv6 msm7227. Same as HTC Aria and Legend. Froyo can definitely run on it with official manufacturer roms and custom roms (although it may not be *officially* supported by Google Android 2.2).

We just need someone to figure out the bootloader and cook a rom. I think there is little motivation to do this though, since it will almost certainly kill the Garmin GPS software, which is why most people bought this phone in the first place.

There is some talk on the Cyanogen rom forums about developing a techniques to load a custom rom and still keep the Garmin software, like Cyanogen does with Google Apps. I won't be holding my breath though...
Thread: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/5864-garminfone-a50/

chas70
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks sharky for this information - just hope I guess

Chas

saveferris91
Old
Thanks Meter 8
i know it's not going to happen officially, but i hold out hope that someone smarter than me is working away at making froyo work for us

pc2058
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What I know is the upgraded os can run apps designed for lower os. This is fact in developing applications. for example app runs on 2.1 will run 2.3.
the dilemma is that asus garmin uses special lib for garmin application these libs need to be ported to the new os. and this is not easy to be done.

thanks