Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,055 Members 48,897 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How can I get started?

Tip us?

RickoT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default How can I get started?

Hey all,

I see lots of people making roms for the wizard, but my search for tools to start doing this on my own has come very short. Can anyone suggest how I can get started making my own roms? I have done quite a few exhaustive searches on here, google, and buzzdev with little to no success.. all I've really found are old posts, dead links, and unanswered forum posts.

Please at least point me in the right direction, I have a lot outdated knowledge from when I used to test ppc2k3 devices for Symbol Technologies, and I would like to try the other end of what I was working with... I look forward to your responses and hope someone out there is willing to assist

Thanks!

~Rick
Device : Samsung Galaxy S4 - T-Mobile
Rooted, Unlocked
Today's ROM : 4.4.4 GPE 100% Stock

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
| Failure Begins With "I Can't" |

_Nomad_
Old
Thanks Meter 5
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=249836

RickoT
Old
(Last edited by RickoT; 23rd January 2007 at 02:07 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Awsome, Just after I posted this thread I found that post, I am glad that you were able to confirm that it was a valid one.

Now, as far as testing your roms, do you typically put your devices in harms way, or do you have some kind of emulator that you use to test?

Is there some kind of comprehensive "How to" somewhere on MSDN or some other forum, or did everyone here just blindly poke around till they figured stuff out? (Which I am in favor of doing if necessary)

I just want to make sure that I can get myself as educated as possible without turning my device into a 6.2 ounce paperweight. I love the kinds of contributions people make here and I would love to be able to make my own contributions one day

Thanks (Sorry if im being pesty I am just so interested in getting started)
Rooted, Unlocked

_Nomad_
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Don't worry about bricking the phone... as long as you don't flash ipl/spl you can always put the phone back into bootloader mode and reflash a rom that works...

RickoT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
ok so I downloaded a billion tools... but where do I get a base rom to start with? I decided a best bet would be to download the HTC shipped rom off their site, but that uses an NBF file, and all of these tools reference an NBA file, as a matter of fact every "rom" file I have found has an NBF file in it... how does that happen?

I kinda feel stupid and im losing faith in starting this
Rooted, Unlocked

donchepe13
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default im have trouble?

I'm having a litte trouble with the posts can sombody help me out?

Lock Apps and Functions Easily with Droid Protector

Access and security are some of the key issues facingmobile technology. Whether … more

ARChon Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more

MultiROM Makes Its Way to the LG G2

Over the last few weeks, we’ve seen quite a fewflagship (and former flagship) devicesget to … more