[WM 6.x,28-04-2011] WinStart v2.4 Final, New start menu replacement

Search This thread

petititi

Dec 16, 2008
Nantes
www.charlie-soft.com
WinStart V2.4

Features
  • Task manager (close/view background apps)
  • Icon's image and name can be changed
  • Icons can be moved
  • Background image can be easily changed
  • Text color of icon can be changed
  • Lock feature
  • Quick list of recent programs
  • Possibility to order icons by name and type
  • Icon's name can be hidden

What's new?
  • WinStart can be assigned to any key
  • Long press on top icons are now working
  • Square background image possibility
  • New animation
  • Possibility to disable the background image (for old devices, the speed gain is real)
  • Scrolling function rewrited (I hope you will tell me if it's better or worse!)
  • Various bugs fixed (folder with dots are correctly printed, quick links and background windows are now correctly handled, landscape correctly handled, no more gap between icons...)

Download explications
Please go to my website !

Last edited:

JVH3

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
Performance on Rhodium

[EDIT]
I am using the full version now, which shas an option to disable the original start menu, which saves alot of memory.
Performance is great on the Rhodium
[/EDIT]

I wanted to try it on the Tilt 2, because it is a memory starved device.

There is no memory advantage to using this over the normal start menu.

It looks nice, and the recent program list is great.

But for the Rhhodium, memory is critical, so I will go back to using the Panel Stat menu cooked into Energy ROMs.

It would be nice if the free version would have had the graphic transitions when opening folders. It looked cool on the demo that was done on an HD2, but, other devices, such as my Tilt 2 or my Fuze, are slower.

I would want to see that performance before purchasing. If I could see that I would consider purchasing it for my Fuze.

But, as far as the memory usage. I can't use it with my Tilt 2. It consumes more memory than having the original start menu.

Last edited:

petititi

Dec 16, 2008
Nantes
www.charlie-soft.com
The full version can disable the original start menu, so you can spare approx 30 Mo in RAM.
The demo was done on an HD (older than Tilt2) and no problems. I think it will be smooth for both (Tilt2 and Fuze), but I'm not sure of that!
I can't create a demo version with graphic transitions, too much work...

As you are a "productive and contributing member", I can give you a serial... Send me a PM if you are interested!

JVH3

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
The full version can disable the original start menu, so you can spare approx 30 Mo in RAM.
The demo was done on an HD (older than Tilt2) and no problems. I think it will be smooth for both (Tilt2 and Fuze), but I'm not sure of that!
I can't create a demo version with graphic transitions, too much work...

As you are a "productive and contributing member", I can give you a serial... Send me a PM if you are interested!

Thanks.

While testing the full paid version, I am very impressed.

I have more memory available than before, when I was using the Panel Start menu available in Energy Roms.

This start menu is great.
Starts faster.
More responsive.
Better transitioning graphics.
Graphics are very smooth on my Tilt 2.
And the most recent program feature is really nice to have.

This is definitely worth the money.

wmg316

Dec 30, 2009
Tyler, TX
WinStart with CHT Softkeys

First of all very nice!!

I purchased the full version at your referenced site.

I am having a problem. I use CHT 2.0 on my NRGZ28 ROM, and I use the CHT Softkeys. I cannot get WinStart to pull up the start menu using the "StartMenu" CHT softkey. If I disable the CHT softkeys, the the normal StartMenu icon works fine.

Within CHT SoftKeys, there are ways to set key assignments:

"Run path" which prompts me to enter an application to run. WinStart is not a listed application.

"Command Line" which prompts me to "enter command line parameters". I don't know what to do here?

Is there a way you can get this to work with the CHT SoftKeys?

Last edited:

wmg316

Dec 30, 2009
Tyler, TX
WinStart with XDA_UC

Thank you...while waiting...I'll ask another question.

I flash ROM's a lot when new versions come out. I use XDA_UC to install my various apps that I use. WinStart will DEFINITELY be one.

My question: On a fresh install with a new ROM, is there a registry key or something that I should install along with the cab to get the initial "fresh-install" parameters - username/password information - automatically applied?

petititi

Dec 16, 2008
Nantes
www.charlie-soft.com
OK, so it's not as easy as I thought... I try something but it work only the first time... What I do :
In HKCU\Software\HTC\Manila
>Set CHT.Softkeys.KeyCustom1.Path to: \Program Files\winstart\winstart.exe (no quotes or anything else)

In CHT editor, set icon1 to custom1... But as said before this will work only the first time.
I work on this and in a few days (I hope 24h), I will post a new version.

For the second question, you will have to save these two values :
HKLM/Software/Manila_WinStart/licenceKey and HKLM/Software/Manila_WinStart/password.

You can also export the entire HKLM/Software/Manila_WinStart/ key to save your settings too... If this is not an option for you, tell me via PM, I will send you a patcher...

SyNRGz

May 24, 2009
Winstart / Softkeys

OK, so it's not as easy as I thought... I try something but it work only the first time... What I do :
>Set CHT.Softkeys.KeyCustom1.Path to: \Program Files\winstart\winstart.exe (no quotes or anything else)

In CHT editor, set icon1 to custom1... But as said before this will work only the first time.

For the second question, you will have to save these two values :
HKLM/Software/Manila_WinStart/licenceKey and HKLM/Software/Manila_WinStart/password.

You can also export the entire HKLM/Software/Manila_WinStart/ key to save your settings too... If this is not an option for you, tell me via PM, I will send you a patcher...

Hello - I appear to have the same issue as WMG316. After installation and reboot. I can go to \Program Files\WinStart\ and run ConfigWinstart.exe. I select DEBUG, Stop Service, and then Start Service, Back, Save. At this point the Hard and Softkeys work properly until the next reboot. I have not put any WinStart in my Startup folder.
I hope this helps get closer to a long-term solution. I really like this app and it is still worth the money.

Reactions: pirecrompir

wmg316

Dec 30, 2009
Tyler, TX

snip...

Thanks...I had tried that and came to same conclusion...only works on the first try! :confused:

Hopefully you'll get that worked out so CHT SoftKeys can be used!!

I look forward to the update.

wmg316

Dec 30, 2009
Tyler, TX
How to Backup "Renamed Icons"

Another question. I have renamed a few of the icons in the start menu. I cannot locate where these changes are saved. Is there a way to backup these settings for subsequent ROM flashes?

p0izn

Jun 14, 2010
wmg316, you can export registry key HKLM-Security-Shell-Startinfo-Start , which contains data about all links: their position, icon, name & visibility..

wmg316

Dec 30, 2009
Tyler, TX
Start Menu Hardware Key on Rhodium

Maybe a bug?

Since disabling the CHT SoftKeys I have had no problem initiating the Start Menu with the default soft key. I am still in hopes that you will fix that issue though! :)

My problem...when I try to use the hardware key start menu on the Tilt 2 (Rhodium) it does not work.

I can get it to work by following these steps:
  • Use Start Menu soft key to go to Start Menu
  • Select Menu, Options
  • At this point the option to "Hook the windows hardware key" is checked...I uncheck this...then check it again and select save

After this process, the hardware key works.

After a soft reset, the hardware key does not work and I have to go through the aforementioned steps to get it to work again.

petititi

Dec 16, 2008
Nantes
www.charlie-soft.com
The problem is now solved...
I work on an option to save/restore the settings so I will change the version number of first post when finished.

For now you can install the attached file which correct the bug but don't include the option to save/restore settings...

Attachments

• WinStart2.2_first.CAB
    1.2 MB · Views: 106

wmg316

Dec 30, 2009
Tyler, TX
I work on an option to save/restore the settings so I will change the version number of first post when finished.

For now you can install the attached file which correct the bug but don't include the option to save/restore settings...

Confirmed to work:
  • I uninstalled v2.1 and soft reset
  • I installed v2.2
  • Turned on CHT Softkeys
  • Tested CHT Softkey start menu - worked
  • Tested hardware key start menu - worked
  • Soft reset
  • Tested CHT Softkey and hardware start menus again - worked

Thank you!!

osiedacz

Sep 17, 2008
Wisconsin
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
You guys work fast! The issue with the hardware and CHT Softbar starting was my only real issue with this. I bought the paid version and love it. Thank you.

The only other minor cosmetic thing I have noticed is that when you first open the program, it leaves some odd artifacts on the screen as you run it the first time. For example, after a soft reset, the first time I open the menu, I can't see my task bar on top, I see a part of my CHT hometab. Once I close it, it works great for all other openings.

Also, when you click on a program, the animation works fines to zoom the icon at me, but once it is done, the screen briefly jumps back to the start menu background showing me just the icon I clicked on until the program actually opens.

Like I said, purely cosmetic, but I figured I would mention them. Again, thanks a ton for the program, it is by far and away the best start menu I have tried. Light years ahead of even the default WM one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WinStart V2.4

Features
    • Task manager (close/view background apps)
    • Icon's image and name can be changed
    • Icons can be moved
    • Background image can be easily changed
    • Text color of icon can be changed
    • Lock feature
    • Quick list of recent programs
    • Possibility to order icons by name and type
    • Icon's name can be hidden

What's new?
    • WinStart can be assigned to any key
    • Long press on top icons are now working
    • Square background image possibility
    • New animation
    • Possibility to disable the background image (for old devices, the speed gain is real)
    • Scrolling function rewrited (I hope you will tell me if it's better or worse!)
    • Various bugs fixed (folder with dots are correctly printed, quick links and background windows are now correctly handled, landscape correctly handled, no more gap between icons...)

Download explications
    Please go to my website !
    The final version is out, tell me please if I forgot to fix a bug!
    +1 for this, if it's not already possible... :)
    it's already built-in!You just have to add the name of the folder as parameterof winstart:
    "/program files/winstart.exe games" will then open the games folder (if exist)
    If you have trouble, I can make a tuto...

@all: I have a lot of work now so I have to put WinStart development in standby for a week or two but I have some ideas for improvement: I will not stop working on WinStart!

OK, I forgot to correct this bug, I'm sorry. A lot of things happened since the last time we talk about this problem...

But this time, I promise it will be corrected in next release :D