[Q] How to transfer apps from Captivate to Atrix

Search This thread

panflute

Dec 19, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I am trying to figure out the best way to transfer apps from my rooted Captivate to the Atrix. Titanium backup would be the natural choice, but it only works on a rooted phone which the Atrix isn't, at least for now. I could go to the android web page https://market.android.com/ and tell it to download each app separately. But I am wondering if there is a non rooted backup/restore app that will let me selectively backup/restore?? I say selectively because I do not want to restore those apps that require a rooted phone.

Then there is the question of the market place which saves your downloaded app list linked to your gmail account. I do not want market place to remember those apps I don't want on the Atrix. So the question is how do you instruct the market place to "forget" installed apps? The only way I know of would be to install ALL the apps via either a backup program or thru the web client, then de-install those from the phone I don't want which would then wipe them out from market place account so they will not keep re-appearing in my app list.

I should have my Atrix in my hands this Monday!

Last edited:

hotleadsingerguy

Jan 12, 2010
Actually, AppBrain and all those "add-on Markets" won't work with the Atrix out of the box. AT&T disallowed sideloading and that counts apps like that.

On the plus side, the Atrix has already been rooted (read the first topic in the Dev section of the Atrix forum)...so it lets you do anything you want.

panflute

Dec 19, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
GREAT

OK looks like we are going to have our Atrix rooted and Titanium backup working but there is still the problem of the market links. There is some reference to market links in Titanium backup but not sure if that works to enable updates and there's still the issue of un-installed not wanted apps getting unregistered with market place. I had lost some apps and reinstalled with Titanium backup and I am not sure if I regained the market links or not. I am certainly not complaining and expect to spend many hours setting up the phone...thats part of the fun. Until a solution appears the best way to handle this may be to install the apps separately from the market place or via the web. I will try other programs others have suggested and post a solution here if found.

alphadog00

Jun 29, 2010
You can still sideload via ADB - so if you have the APK file it is simple to side load many.

phobos512

Mar 1, 2009
I'm coming from an Evo so not familiar with this sideloading business - is there a primer someplace?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

FLAC Vest

Sep 8, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Actually, AppBrain and all those "add-on Markets" won't work with the Atrix out of the box. AT&T disallowed sideloading and that counts apps like that.

On the plus side, the Atrix has already been rooted (read the first topic in the Dev section of the Atrix forum)...so it lets you do anything you want.

App brain only side loads? I though by synching my account, it would allow me to re download all applications from the market that is how it checks for upgrades anyway.

I use.app brain to actually check for updates to apparently o had installed through Titanium, apparently that do NOT have market links.

Captivate 2.2.1 Paragon

panflute

Dec 19, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
MyAppList

The free program MyAppList will make a text file of all the apps installed on your phone. I am going to un-install any apps i do not want installed on the Atrix. Then print out MyAppList. Then go to the market place on my Captivate and goto "my apps" so that the market updates what I do and do not have on the phone. When the Atrix arrives, I will register with my same email. Then on the Atrix i will go to the market place so it will update the installed list. Then I will go market place on the PC and install all of my listed apps, checking off each one on MyAppList as I go. The advantages are I will be sure to get all the apps, there will be no question as to what is or is not installed, the Atrix will automatically install the apps and the apps will get updates thru the market. I have 397 apps installed on the phone, maybe 225 of them are 3rd party apps so it may take a couple of hours to download and install them all but since the Atrix runs so quickly it may go a lot faster.

My Captivate is maxed out. I have a lot of widgets running and am constantly running out of memory. And then there is the lag problem which gets worse when you are running out of memory. With 1 gig of ram there is plently of memory with room to spare. This is going to be a very welcomed upgrade.

I am wondering exactly when the phones will arrive at the AT&T store. Are there Sunday deliveries? Monday is Presidents Day. I am going to the store tomorrow (Sunday) to see if they arrived and see if they will give it to me.....

Last edited: