Android Phones with Call Recording Function

Search This thread

andyrubin1

Jan 24, 2011
I would like to compile a list of Android phones that either...

1) Come with native call recording functionality.
2) Support call recording with 3rd party app/hack/ROM.

So that people who want this function can make a better purchase judgement. It would be great if you can lend a hand.

Please note that phones/apps that require using speakerphones (i.e. muffled voice from the other side; cannot record while headsets are used) to record the calls do *not* count. You can test by recording with a headset, Bluetooth or wired, and see if the voices from both sides are still loud and clear.

Most, if not all, "call recorder" apps on Android Market make use of such "speakerphone" hacks.

Please don't bring legality discussions here as well.

Thanks.

Jul-12 update: It is obvious now that this issue is not of Google origin, but of individual maker/carrier's decision, so choose wisely (and complaining to Google is unlikely to help.) The key, so it seems, is proper software (e.g. kernel, libraries) support.

Models that have this function built-in.
  • Meizu M9
  • Motorola Defy (Chinese mainland version ME525)
  • Motorola Milestone (with Chinese 2.2 ROM; Thanks to ystong)
  • Motorola XT701
  • Samsung Galaxy S (South Korean version SHW-M110S, with firmware DH09 or newer)

Models that don't have this function built-in but can use a 3rd party app/hack/ROM to record calls in both ways without turning on speakerphone.

Notes:
  • Developer skvalex claims his/her app can work with a number of devices from HTC and other makers, utilizing certain Qualcomm and Samsung processors, with custom kernel and root. Although I suspect that with proper kernel, a few other call recording apps, perhaps even free ones, would work as well.

The original issue 2117: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2117

Original thread: http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/181663-android-phone-call-recording-function.html

Last edited:

andyrubin1

Jan 24, 2011
Addition:

List of VOIP services that provide call recording functions:
  • Acrobits Softphone
  • Google Voice (only for incoming calls?)

Last edited:

andyrubin1

Jan 24, 2011
Addition:

List of traditional 3rd party call recording services:

• Call Trunk (Canada)
  • Google Voice (US) (only for incoming calls?)
  • Rectel (UK)

Last edited:

Labutin

Aug 3, 2008
Are you shure, that call recording works on HTC Desire with MIUI ROM without need to turn on loudspeaker?

andyrubin1

Jan 24, 2011
Ooops... I gathered the information from other threads and I don't actually have the devices myself to test, I'll remove them.

THX for the headsup

tm2581

Dec 30, 2010
rvoix is running half on htc legend g6

Thistime i use rvoix on my htc legend (blayo 0.7 rom). but it only works in my car with bluetooth handsfree. if you use it over the normal mic/speaker it creates noises, that you can't understand anything anymore.

i think the dev of rvoix should invest a little time to get it running on htc legend, because it works perfectly over the bluetooth handsfree...it seems possible.

Last edited:

tm2581

Dec 30, 2010
Yep, Defy with Chinese 2.2 ROM.

Read that XT701 also has this function but I don't think it's officially available outside SE Asia nor did I have a phone to test it personally.

Thank you. could you please give me a link where someone writes about call recording on defy with chinese rom . i searched in xda-dev-defy-forum and didn't find anything about it.

Rred

Oct 2, 2010
Andy, Google Voice now only provides recording of INcoming calls. Not outgoing, unless they changed the service again.

Half a glass is better than none, but it is still half a glass.

Seems like there is no call recorder that works on my Atrix, I have to go back to my ancient but venerable Treo to do that. That ought to embarass SOME programmer into coding...

bleepbloop64

Sep 9, 2010
Houston
I'd like to point out that recording phone calls without the other party's consent is illegal in some states and countries. Just a friendly heads up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would like to compile a list of Android phones that either...

1) Come with native call recording functionality.
    2) Support call recording with 3rd party app/hack/ROM.

So that people who want this function can make a better purchase judgement. It would be great if you can lend a hand.

Please note that phones/apps that require using speakerphones (i.e. muffled voice from the other side; cannot record while headsets are used) to record the calls do *not* count. You can test by recording with a headset, Bluetooth or wired, and see if the voices from both sides are still loud and clear.

Most, if not all, "call recorder" apps on Android Market make use of such "speakerphone" hacks.

Please don't bring legality discussions here as well.

Thanks.

Jul-12 update: It is obvious now that this issue is not of Google origin, but of individual maker/carrier's decision, so choose wisely (and complaining to Google is unlikely to help.) The key, so it seems, is proper software (e.g. kernel, libraries) support.

Models that have this function built-in.
    • Meizu M9
    • Motorola Defy (Chinese mainland version ME525)
    • Motorola Milestone (with Chinese 2.2 ROM; Thanks to ystong)
    • Motorola XT701
    • Samsung Galaxy S (South Korean version SHW-M110S, with firmware DH09 or newer)

Models that don't have this function built-in but can use a 3rd party app/hack/ROM to record calls in both ways without turning on speakerphone.

Notes:
    • Developer skvalex claims his/her app can work with a number of devices from HTC and other makers, utilizing certain Qualcomm and Samsung processors, with custom kernel and root. Although I suspect that with proper kernel, a few other call recording apps, perhaps even free ones, would work as well.

The original issue 2117: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2117

Original thread: http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/181663-android-phone-call-recording-function.html
    The laws regarding audio recording vary from state to state. Differ from state to federal laws. AND differ in some states depending on whether you are using a POTS telephone, a VOIP telephone, or a cellular phone. And the definitions of "telephone" that are used by state laws also vary by state.

So please...can we assume this is a technical discussion in a technical forum, and leave the lawyering for a different time and place?

If anyone doesn't know their local laws, call your local DA, AG, telco, or attorney.

Let's keep it FOCUSED on the TOPIC here, please?!
    HTC Sensation two way call recording

HTC Sensation records calls with patched kernels like Bricked kernel or Unity kernel and CallRecorder app by skvalex. You'll need root, S-off and 2.3.4 based Sense ROM.

More info in the HTC Sensation forum
    Does Motorola Defy support call recording (not from speaker phone). Thanks!

It does, but you have to flash the Chinese 2.2 ROM first. Go over Defy forums and find out more.
    Here is my experience with 2 way call recording on Android phones.

Motorola Atrix 4G - required Chinese ROM.
    HTC Thunderbolt - required custom kernel and worked with CallRecorder app.
    VZW Galaxy Nexus (toro) - working on every kernel tested, requires AlsaMixer (libs?)(needs root) in addition to CallRecorder.

On Thunderbolt and GNex, Bluetooth recording works as well. Disconnected service on my Atrix before could test Chinese ROM. I did however use it as a VoIP phone using SipDroid which had call recording function built in (2way) which was a pain to configure with Bluetooth but once configured, recorded via Bluetooth as well.

Its worth noting sipdroid will walk you through setting up the VoIP using your Google Voice number which is very convenient and does not rely on Google's incoming call recording. The sipdroid app has its very own 2way call recording built in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2