[How To] Root, Sideload & Tether Your Atrix 4G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Fixter

Jun 6, 2009
Durham
Read it again. He talks about "the rumor" meaning the bootloader is locked and not encrypted.

This means the bootloader can be unlocked. But it is the how, which is the next step.

It is probably save to say that the old unlock method on the original droid wont work on the atrix.

(correct me if i am wrong)
The bootloader is signed. Meaning that no one can make changes on original files. Ex: Custom Recoveries and Custom Roms. Although I spoke with Koush yesterday and he told me that the recovery was already made. (Didn't told me if it worked tho.)

Reactions: pppack

jimmydafish

Nov 10, 2007
From the dump I looked at, it appeared it as signed, not encrypted. What evidence do you have that it is encrypted and not signed?

Thanks for any info

I think further up the bootchain (moving away from the actual kernel) there is a level of encryption. The bootloader is signed (therefore we can read it in a hex editor) but the point here is that it doesn't matter if it is signed or encrypted the results have been proven to be the same. You can not change the Kernel or recovery. You can't change the system but you can overwrite the system - I know small technical thing but it makes a difference in how you release files.

jimmydafish

Nov 10, 2007
I think this thread has a good purpose but should get back to what sort of development is going to take place for the Atrix, lets focus on what can be done. TeamBlackHat will help support this as best we can, but don't go all wacko on us, we have been at this for a long time we just love to see what you can do with the phone.

perdurabo2

Jun 17, 2007
NJ
I think further up the bootchain (moving away from the actual kernel) there is a level of encryption. The bootloader is signed (therefore we can read it in a hex editor) but the point here is that it doesn't matter if it is signed or encrypted the results have been proven to be the same. You can not change the Kernel or recovery. You can't change the system but you can overwrite the system - I know small technical thing but it makes a difference in how you release files.

But it's an important distinction to make, because each scenario has some different attack vectors along with the common vector of obtaining the private key.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Sorry for cluttering this thread with "gibberish". When we release the development builds we have for this phone we will try to make sure they are posted in the right place.
Then the devs can really sink their teeth into them and everyone can enjoy the benefits of their work and the leaked files...even obnoxious people with bad attitudes! ;)

Last edited:

perdurabo2

Jun 17, 2007
NJ
I think this thread has a good purpose but should get back to what sort of development is going to take place for the Atrix, lets focus on what can be done. TeamBlackHat will help support this as best we can, but don't go all wacko on us, we have been at this for a long time we just love to see what you can do with the phone.

I think we're all a bit quick to rail on people because of the flood of nonsense. As mods take care of business, it'll die down again.

Does TBH have a Twitter account where they are posting progress reports? This tends to be easier than trying to follow the xda threads. A good example tweet: "Got root! http://forum.xda-dev...."

iuss

Dec 21, 2010
But it's an important distinction to make, because each scenario has some different attack vectors along with the common vector of obtaining the private key.

Especially considering exploitaton of a high-level booloader, having an image of it is useful, to say the least..

Has anything alike been posted yet? All I've seen so far are Android-related dumps..

t0dbld

Mar 21, 2010
Michigan
Sorry for cluttering this thread with "gibberish". When we release the development builds we have for this phone we will try to make sure they are posted in the right place.
Then the devs can really sink their teeth into them and everyone can enjoy the benefits of their work and the leaked files...even obnoxious people with bad attitudes! ;)

Lol ... if you were so deeply offended than i apologize however as you can see we are on page 21 in this thread because every third comment is the result of some one not reading the op or not knowing WTH they were talking about and or asking about CM or root or something that doesn't belong, its safe to say by the end of the day my patients was worn thin as even after morderators and several reminders by people to keep the thread CLEAN no one was , I am not looking at it now but i believe when i wrote it there were 3 other posts much worse than yours directly before yours and directly after another plee to stop spamming the thread and move to general... i actually ment to hit quick reply but hit quote ... but didnt bother with the back button sense you first line says its def encrypted ... as of now the only thing we know is that its signed if im not mistaken.

I do appreciate your willing ness to share leaks even though i so deeply offended you with my "obnoxious behavior and poor atitude" ;)

holtenc

Feb 20, 2011
Lol ... if you were so deeply offended than i apologize however as you can see we are on page 21 in this thread because every third comment is the result of some one not reading the op or not knowing WTH they were talking about and or asking about CM or root or something that doesn't belong, its safe to say by the end of the day my patients was worn thin as even after morderators and several reminders by people to keep the thread CLEAN no one was , I am not looking at it now but i believe when i wrote it there were 3 other posts much worse than yours directly before yours and directly after another plee to stop spamming the thread and move to general... i actually ment to hit quick reply but hit quote ... but didnt bother with the back button sense you first line says its def encrypted ... as of now the only thing we know is that its signed if im not mistaken.

I do appreciate your willing ness to share leaks even though i so deeply offended you with my "obnoxious behavior and poor atitude" ;)

While I can certainly appreciate wanting to keep a thread clean, on topic, and void of useless questions that are easily and readily answered elsewhere..... berating every one of those posters just adds to the problem of having to skim through 20+ pages of posts to find those that are relevant. Just throwing that out there.... (yes I can see how my post is also adding to the problem. but you guys are annoyed by pointless posts, I'm annoyed by pointless posts AND those that condemn them).

I find the information here extremely interesting, and I applaud those trying to explore the capabilities of the Atrix (and all devices), and then provide that information freely and openly. I'm sure this will be my one and only post on these forums, as I have absolutely zero expertise on these topics, but will keep reading.

Reactions: cellzealot

jimmydafish

Nov 10, 2007

I promise you that we have examined the phone in ways many have not been able to, especially as we are in a unique position to have tools to look in places others can not. I can not think of another group that has these tools and we are willing to help but remember who you are dealing with, we TBH are not a bunch of amatuers who happened upon the scene yesterday. And we never speak out the side of our arse.

There is never a good time to be rude, short, or disrepectful...even when many people don't follow directions or read.

Now back on topic...

someone asked for files that are not Android related...which files are you referring to? If possible we will attempt to make them available.

MacAlert

Aug 14, 2008
Stupid question, will rooting the phone erase any content that I loaded (contacts, favorites)? I should be getting my phone today and am planning ahead.

Another question, does the SIM need to be in the phone?

First Android phone and don't want to make mistakes.

Fixter

Jun 6, 2009
Durham
Stupid question, will rooting the phone erase any content that I loaded (contacts, favorites)? I should be getting my phone today and am planning ahead.

It wont erase anything. It only takes about 4 minutes. And it doesnt matter if your sim is in or out.

MacAlert

Aug 14, 2008
It wont erase anything. It only takes about 4 minutes. And it doesnt matter if your sim is in or out.

Thanks! Now just waiting for the FedEx truck.

EDIT: Another question, the instructions say I need .net framework 2.0. Windows 7 64 bit has .net framework 4. Is that ok?

Last edited:

das8nt

Oct 30, 2010
Thanks! Now just waiting for the FedEx truck.

EDIT: Another question, the instructions say I need .net framework 2.0. Windows 7 64 bit has .net framework 4. Is that ok?

It's probably best if you start to post questions not related to the actual development process in other threads, but the answer is: Win 7 is ready-to-go for all .net 2.0 applications. No additional install needed.

perdurabo2

Jun 17, 2007
NJ

If this is your first Android phone, I recommend you wait on rooting and get used to things first. Whether that means waiting a day, week, or month. If you run into bugs or problems, you'll be equipped to know if its a Moto bug or a condition caused by the rooting process for some reason. I've owned a dozen Android phones and still wait at least a couple days.

Once you're more familiar with things and have an immediate reason to root, then do so.

D

dombera

This is so ****ing disgusting! I`m checking this blog for any updates/info regarding bootloader status as the blog is getting more pages. Makes me furious reading this kind of crap here. Why these stupid idiots can`t google it? Internet is full of info, guides, etc. I think someone asking this kind of question is lazy and do not care about other members! Waste of space!

Wow, come over to the inspire side. There is literally no fighting over there and we can use any Rom we please ; ) on another note this thread is about how to root, so as long as the questions are within topic hen where is the problem? Was thinking about getting the atrix, but all this fighting is turning me off from the atrix forum. Threads directed at devs should be locked from allowing certain users from posting.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Reactions: knarfl1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *MOD EDIT* FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS USE OLD INSTRUCTIONS. Go check the sticky for another guide, as this method is not recommended!!!

Thanks to Getaphixx, the guy who dumped the phone, for testing this out for me! He has the worlds first rooted Atrix, CONGRATS! Thanks to Fixter for confirming on a retail model.

Thanks to briefmobile for putting together a tutorial for us!
    http://briefmobile.com/motorola-atrix-4g-root

Tether without at&t tethering plan: (thanks to Fixter)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11493471&postcount=193

http://i.imgur.com/U9blu.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/dF67f.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/tvPLY.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/wx7ZV.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/F4RNh.jpg

Other Info:
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bootloader is Signed (Proof)
    ----------------------------------------------

MOD EDIT:
    This is a development thread, so please help keep this thread clean. Questions like "What is the advantage of root?", "What is an encrypted bootloader", "What is a locked bootloader", SHOULD NOT be asked in this thread. Use Google or go here. Any relevant useful information will be posted in the stickies in due time after the device is released. Thanks for your continued support of the devs but let's keep things tidy for everyone else.
    Already killed the att lock down on installed market apps, tethering should be as easy as it was on the leaked captivate builds.

To activate Tethering we only need this:

Menu - Settings - Wireless & NetworksMobile Networks - Access Point Names - Menu - New APN, Enter these settings:

Name: AT&T
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: leave blank
    Port: 80
    Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password:CINGULAR1
    Server: leave blank
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS Port: 80
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    Authentication Type: leave blank
    APN Type: leave blank
    Motorola Atrix 4G Rooted [How-To] Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCDO0_qeOY8

*grin*

Thanks Designgears and youareme7 and others that assisted in this endeavor I wasn't made aware of.

It has been a refreshing experience dealing with XDA and their Devs. I only hope future contributers are lucky enough to encounter someone as genuine and intelligent as Designgears. This interwebz would be a better place for it. Look forward to getting more phones for some rooting fun with ya'll!

Also A VERY SPECIAL THANKS to those who've donated to me and others here. What may be a small token of your appreciation speaks volumes to the type of community members we have here! And receiving money is never a bad thing!
    This is P3Droid,

I guess I'm the guy who started the "rumor" that the bootloader is locked. The images are signed, as I have looked at them (from files that are not available to the public). If you know the work that TBH has done on the other Locked Droid phones for Verizon then you know that we do not blow smoke up the ass of people.

To verifiy for yourself, you can pull the boot.img and hex check the file, there will be a signature in it. I wish all of you the best of luck in deving this phone. But please do not call us out because we have told you what to expect.
    Thanks to Getaphixx we now have the boot.img and the recovery.img dumped, checking to see if the bootloader is encrypted now.

(very long phone calls)