Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[NEWS]Nintendo DS on Android

OP shad0wboss

26th February 2011, 12:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Genève
Thanks Meter: 144

1,239 posts
More
I couldn't help posting this because i became happy when i read it...

Quote:

Tiger Lab apps(nds demo emulator)
[Only open for limited days]

1. VERY EARLY PROTOTYPE VERSION(BETA) FOR DEMO ONLY

2. It is very very slow so you shall not expect to play NDS game with this emulator.

3. It is used to DEMO that NDS game can be played on android phone

It is shown that NDS WILL be played some days on android phone, maybe 2012 or later

WHAT IS NEXT WORK (Huge efforts)

1. More powerful phones
2. Dynarec CPU simulation
3. GPU simualtion improvement for speed greatly.
4. Hareware render (eg, OpenGL ES)
5. FPU. Since NDS need lots of float calculation. FPU can improvement performance greatly. Later ARM will have FPU in feature

If you do not have a high-end phone, do not try NDS game. Even if you have a high-end phone, just try some small games(none 3D) but it is also quite slow.
How to demo (not play) NDS game

1. Put your nds ROM files to /roms/nds folder in sdcard.

Note. zip nds rom is not supported, you shall extract them to be *.nds files

2. Launch TigerNDS which will load those NDS roms in game list

3. Select one game and play

It is just DEMO and speed is very very very very slow even on high-end phones. You shall not expect to play nds game with the emulator.

SOurce: http://www.appbrain.com/app/tiger-la...tiger.demo.nds
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shad0wboss For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th February 2011, 12:52 AM   |  #2  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 37

212 posts
More
Its amazing what a skilled developer can make and pretty soon I'm sure we'll see a app for everything and this is just one more off the list. I can't wait to see how they manage using both screens but im sure it'll be awesome!

Good job devs! Keep it up!
-D3luSi0n4L
26th February 2011, 02:06 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 3

68 posts
More
Might work well for the Kyocera Echo
26th February 2011, 02:12 AM   |  #4  
XDA Portal Team / Senior Moderator
Flag T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...
Thanks Meter: 3,045

22,289 posts
Donate to Me
Thumbs up
This looks promising!
27th February 2011, 10:02 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 66

519 posts
More
I know it's just a proof of concept currently, but why are they saying it would need new devices to run well? It seems like, since the DS and our devices are both ARM based, with some obvious modifications to run arm code natively and not emulated, you could get it running pretty well. At least that's what I had gathered from previous discussions about it.
3rd March 2011, 12:14 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

24 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreak316

I know it's just a proof of concept currently, but why are they saying it would need new devices to run well? It seems like, since the DS and our devices are both ARM based, with some obvious modifications to run arm code natively and not emulated, you could get it running pretty well. At least that's what I had gathered from previous discussions about it.

In order to emulate a nintendo DS your phone needs to have twice the power. But to be honest I never thought the DS was too powerful... So I bet once the emulator is out of alpha it should run fine on a galaxy S. But who knows were still waiting for Zodttd to finish the N64 emulator
3rd March 2011, 12:27 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 125

288 posts
More
Wow! This would be awesome!! I miss Mario Bros on my phone
3rd March 2011, 12:34 AM   |  #8  
Flag Cesano Boscone
Thanks Meter: 1

33 posts
More
I tried on HD2, and yes is very very very slow, but it works.
3rd March 2011, 01:12 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 66

519 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxohkc

In order to emulate a nintendo DS your phone needs to have twice the power. But to be honest I never thought the DS was too powerful... So I bet once the emulator is out of alpha it should run fine on a galaxy S. But who knows were still waiting for Zodttd to finish the N64 emulator

Of course, I am familiar with emulators and how, as a rule of thumb, your device should be 10 times more powerful to expect any sort of decent emulation. I'm just saying, maybe they can avoid emulating certain things and run native ARM DS code natively, vastly speeding it up. It would be REALLY hard though, requiring vast knowledge of ARM assembly from what I've heard. Meh, Zodttd. He should stick to iPhone imo. Android will probably get some decent open source emulators soon enough.
3rd March 2011, 01:15 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 19

71 posts
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxohkc

decent emulation takes about 5-10 times the power to emulate

and ive heard that emulating the DS is extremely difficult
as for zod i honestly doubt he is still working on that project paul seems to be the one that is on top of the project now

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread