Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 40,595 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[NEWS]Nintendo DS on Android

Tip us?

shad0wboss
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 144
Lightbulb [NEWS]Nintendo DS on Android

I couldn't help posting this because i became happy when i read it...

Quote:
Tiger Lab apps(nds demo emulator)
[Only open for limited days]

1. VERY EARLY PROTOTYPE VERSION(BETA) FOR DEMO ONLY

2. It is very very slow so you shall not expect to play NDS game with this emulator.

3. It is used to DEMO that NDS game can be played on android phone

It is shown that NDS WILL be played some days on android phone, maybe 2012 or later

WHAT IS NEXT WORK (Huge efforts)

1. More powerful phones
2. Dynarec CPU simulation
3. GPU simualtion improvement for speed greatly.
4. Hareware render (eg, OpenGL ES)
5. FPU. Since NDS need lots of float calculation. FPU can improvement performance greatly. Later ARM will have FPU in feature

If you do not have a high-end phone, do not try NDS game. Even if you have a high-end phone, just try some small games(none 3D) but it is also quite slow.
How to demo (not play) NDS game

1. Put your nds ROM files to /roms/nds folder in sdcard.

Note. zip nds rom is not supported, you shall extract them to be *.nds files

2. Launch TigerNDS which will load those NDS roms in game list

3. Select one game and play

It is just DEMO and speed is very very very very slow even on high-end phones. You shall not expect to play nds game with the emulator.
SOurce: http://www.appbrain.com/app/tiger-la...tiger.demo.nds
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shad0wboss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

D3luSi0n4L
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Its amazing what a skilled developer can make and pretty soon I'm sure we'll see a app for everything and this is just one more off the list. I can't wait to see how they manage using both screens but im sure it'll be awesome!

Good job devs! Keep it up!
-D3luSi0n4L

Fehnix22
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Might work well for the Kyocera Echo

orb3000
Old
XDA Portal Team / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 3,036
Location: T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...

DONATE TO ME
This looks promising!
orb

HTC Butterfly 2 - HTC One M8 - HTC Universal

XDA is about developing and is for developers. Any user that recognizes that will gain the most benefit from this site

This is and always will be a site for developers, pure and simple. Without them we are nothing, without them there would be no reason for XDA Developers to exist; we should never ever forget that. Without them this place would not be called XDA-Developers but something else, e.g Mobile Phone User Support Services For Ungrateful Nerds.

Previous devices: HTC: Treo 650 - Excalibur - Diamond - Diamond 2 - Maple - HD2 - Rhodium - Desire Z - Desire HD - Vivid - Sensation - One V - One X - Titan II - One X+ - DNA - Butterfly

JesusFreak316
Old
Thanks Meter 63
I know it's just a proof of concept currently, but why are they saying it would need new devices to run well? It seems like, since the DS and our devices are both ARM based, with some obvious modifications to run arm code natively and not emulated, you could get it running pretty well. At least that's what I had gathered from previous discussions about it.
Device history:
Bunch of dumbphones
Samsung SCH-I760
HTC Fuze (Raph 110) O2 Wireless prepaid to avoid paying for data
HTC HD2 Running Americanandroid and YukiXDA WP7
HP Touchpad 32GB (Got it for $150 )

My projects:
Rockbox VGA port

maxohkc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreak316 View Post
I know it's just a proof of concept currently, but why are they saying it would need new devices to run well? It seems like, since the DS and our devices are both ARM based, with some obvious modifications to run arm code natively and not emulated, you could get it running pretty well. At least that's what I had gathered from previous discussions about it.
In order to emulate a nintendo DS your phone needs to have twice the power. But to be honest I never thought the DS was too powerful... So I bet once the emulator is out of alpha it should run fine on a galaxy S. But who knows were still waiting for Zodttd to finish the N64 emulator

d3s3rt_eagle
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Wow! This would be awesome!! I miss Mario Bros on my phone

iamrv
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I tried on HD2, and yes is very very very slow, but it works.

JesusFreak316
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxohkc View Post
In order to emulate a nintendo DS your phone needs to have twice the power. But to be honest I never thought the DS was too powerful... So I bet once the emulator is out of alpha it should run fine on a galaxy S. But who knows were still waiting for Zodttd to finish the N64 emulator
Of course, I am familiar with emulators and how, as a rule of thumb, your device should be 10 times more powerful to expect any sort of decent emulation. I'm just saying, maybe they can avoid emulating certain things and run native ARM DS code natively, vastly speeding it up. It would be REALLY hard though, requiring vast knowledge of ARM assembly from what I've heard. Meh, Zodttd. He should stick to iPhone imo. Android will probably get some decent open source emulators soon enough.
Device history:
Bunch of dumbphones
Samsung SCH-I760
HTC Fuze (Raph 110) O2 Wireless prepaid to avoid paying for data
HTC HD2 Running Americanandroid and YukiXDA WP7
HP Touchpad 32GB (Got it for $150 )

My projects:
Rockbox VGA port

crisiscore_08
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxohkc View Post
decent emulation takes about 5-10 times the power to emulate

and ive heard that emulating the DS is extremely difficult
as for zod i honestly doubt he is still working on that project paul seems to be the one that is on top of the project now