Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,293 Members 38,609 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xoom 4G Upgrade Only for Unrooted Devices?

Tip us?

egzthunder1
Old
Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA - OP
Thanks Meter 4701
Location: At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Default Xoom 4G Upgrade Only for Unrooted Devices?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/22096...ola_xooms.html

This article paints a rather oblique picture yet it goes hand in hand with Motorola's M.O. Needless to say, the device can always be unrooted, but it still sucks...

"As I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I fear no evil for I am the God of Death... and this is my valley"

I have ORD

Want to see my devices? Click Below

HTC Blue Angel
ROM: WM 6.5.3 Build 23698 by d-two
Radio: 1.15

HTC Vogue (Verizon Touch)
ROM: Froyo Android (NAND) by incubus26j
Radio: 3.42.50

HTC EVO 3D
ROM: YAS4 v9 by howpathetic (ICS 4.0.4)
PRI: 1.43_003
Radio: 1.09.00.0706
HBOOT: Eng HBOOT (S-OFF)

Sony Xperia T LT30p
ROM: Stock, 91.A.0.148 (Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
Bootloader: Locked

Sony Xperia Z Ultra - GPE
ROM: Stock, Unrooted (KitKat 4.4.2)
Bootloader: Locked

Huawei Premia 4G
ROM: Stock, Rooted (ICS 4.0.4)

HTC One (M8)
ROM: Stock, unrooted (1.57.531.7)
Radio: 1.16.21331931
HBOOT: Locked (S-ON)

Learn how to flash: CDMA Rapahel, Vogue

keitht
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by egzthunder1 View Post
http://www.pcworld.com/article/22096...ola_xooms.html

This article paints a rather oblique picture yet it goes hand in hand with Motorola's M.O. Needless to say, the device can always be unrooted, but it still sucks...
Yeah I saw that. I mean really, are they going to make a big stink about that? That would mean they are prying into your personal info which is why this whole sending in to get the upgrade crap sucks. They should not even turn it on.

Inphinitizeit
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by keitht View Post
Yeah I saw that. I mean really, are they going to make a big stink about that? That would mean they are prying into your personal info which is why this whole sending in to get the upgrade crap sucks. They should not even turn it on.
Unless there is a software upgrade required for the 4G to work and if its rooted the update won't apply correctly. It should be simple enough to revert it to stock before sending it in though.

martonikaj
Old
Thanks Meter 1714
How is this different than any other device? lol people have been having to unroot their phones for years in order to send back in for repair/service/etc...
Quit signing contracts, stop overpaying for service, GO PREPAID!
Follow me on Twitter / Google+
Don't have Dropbox yet? Sign up from this link, and we both get more storage!

luigi90210
Old
Thanks Meter 39
imo moto needs to get their panties out of a knot and relax when it comes to hackers
pretty much only techie people will root their phones and install custom firmware not your average joe, if its anything they should let the techies do their thing while still offering services like this(upgrades only NOT repairs)

PaulG1488
Old
Thanks Meter 292
The moderator from motorola wasnt reffering to the 4g upgrade he meant software otas

generic.imitation
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Yeah, Matt was referring to ota updates. I frequent the support forums over at motorola, and he said when he gets more info that he will put it out. I covered it in the sticky post this morning after I read that news article. Sorry, posting from my phone, or I would givea link to the forum post where he covered that issue.

PaulG1488
Old
Thanks Meter 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by generic.imitation View Post
Yeah, Matt was referring to ota updates. I frequent the support forums over at motorola, and he said when he gets more info that he will put it out. I covered it in the sticky post this morning after I read that news article. Sorry, posting from my phone, or I would givea link to the forum post where he covered that issue.
Ill save you the trouble

https://supportforums.motorola.com/t...45865?tstart=0

Read post 6

phoenix56317
Old
Thanks Meter 16
A friend and I got into a discussion about the very same thing but the subject was about WHO really owns what you bought.

If you think about this, anything YOU buy outright with hard earned greenbacks, is NOT really yours to begin with. Everything today comes with a WARRANTY and legal DISCLAIMERS with any product you buy these days, it essentially says that said product will be covered as long as you don't abuse said product in it's ORIGINAL MANUFACTURED STATE !

It's funny but when you really think about this and life, it sucks !

Who could ever imagine that that piece of land with garbage and tires and whatnot, could make someone RICH by landscaping it into a CEMETERY. You go rent a small portion of dirt so when your time comes, you have some place where they could bury you, how IRONIC ! especially when you have to pay for upkeep costs.

wnrussell
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Just follow the Re-locking instructions in this [GUIDE] Unlocking (& Re-locking) the Motorola Xoom for flashing thread and all is good?