FORUMS

T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Battery Woes

I’ve been using a T-Mobile Galaxy S6 since the device launched with T-mobile’s … more

Earthquake Early Warning in Your Pocket

Probably all of us reading this have a smartphone in our pocket. For many of us, the … more

Sony: The OEM You Want To Save

In our recent Discuss article, we asked you readers on which OEM you would like to help. While the … more

How to Lock and Protect Your Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

The smartphone revolution has passed. Everybody has mobile apps. Some of … more

Xoom 4G Upgrade Only for Unrooted Devices?

19,417 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,458
 
By egzthunder1, Moderator Committee Lead / Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA on 1st March 2011, 07:04 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
http://www.pcworld.com/article/22096...ola_xooms.html

This article paints a rather oblique picture yet it goes hand in hand with Motorola's M.O. Needless to say, the device can always be unrooted, but it still sucks...
 
 
1st March 2011, 07:11 AM |#2  
keitht's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Delray Beach, FL
Thanks Meter: 315
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by egzthunder1

http://www.pcworld.com/article/22096...ola_xooms.html

This article paints a rather oblique picture yet it goes hand in hand with Motorola's M.O. Needless to say, the device can always be unrooted, but it still sucks...

Yeah I saw that. I mean really, are they going to make a big stink about that? That would mean they are prying into your personal info which is why this whole sending in to get the upgrade crap sucks. They should not even turn it on.
1st March 2011, 07:29 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by keitht

Yeah I saw that. I mean really, are they going to make a big stink about that? That would mean they are prying into your personal info which is why this whole sending in to get the upgrade crap sucks. They should not even turn it on.

Unless there is a software upgrade required for the 4G to work and if its rooted the update won't apply correctly. It should be simple enough to revert it to stock before sending it in though.
1st March 2011, 07:40 AM |#4  
martonikaj's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,715
 
More
How is this different than any other device? lol people have been having to unroot their phones for years in order to send back in for repair/service/etc...
1st March 2011, 08:16 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 54
 
More
imo moto needs to get their panties out of a knot and relax when it comes to hackers
pretty much only techie people will root their phones and install custom firmware not your average joe, if its anything they should let the techies do their thing while still offering services like this(upgrades only NOT repairs)
1st March 2011, 08:26 AM |#6  
PaulG1488's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 308
 
More
The moderator from motorola wasnt reffering to the 4g upgrade he meant software otas
1st March 2011, 09:07 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 69
 
More
Yeah, Matt was referring to ota updates. I frequent the support forums over at motorola, and he said when he gets more info that he will put it out. I covered it in the sticky post this morning after I read that news article. Sorry, posting from my phone, or I would givea link to the forum post where he covered that issue.
1st March 2011, 10:55 AM |#8  
PaulG1488's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 308
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by generic.imitation

Yeah, Matt was referring to ota updates. I frequent the support forums over at motorola, and he said when he gets more info that he will put it out. I covered it in the sticky post this morning after I read that news article. Sorry, posting from my phone, or I would givea link to the forum post where he covered that issue.

Ill save you the trouble

https://supportforums.motorola.com/t...45865?tstart=0

Read post 6
1st March 2011, 04:19 PM |#9  
phoenix56317's Avatar
Member
Denver, Colo
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
A friend and I got into a discussion about the very same thing but the subject was about WHO really owns what you bought.

If you think about this, anything YOU buy outright with hard earned greenbacks, is NOT really yours to begin with. Everything today comes with a WARRANTY and legal DISCLAIMERS with any product you buy these days, it essentially says that said product will be covered as long as you don't abuse said product in it's ORIGINAL MANUFACTURED STATE !

It's funny but when you really think about this and life, it sucks !

Who could ever imagine that that piece of land with garbage and tires and whatnot, could make someone RICH by landscaping it into a CEMETERY. You go rent a small portion of dirt so when your time comes, you have some place where they could bury you, how IRONIC ! especially when you have to pay for upkeep costs.
1st March 2011, 07:33 PM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Just follow the Re-locking instructions in this [GUIDE] Unlocking (& Re-locking) the Motorola Xoom for flashing thread and all is good?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes