Change your phone to google's DNS instead of carrier's

Search This thread
K

kenny990

Will try it tonight. If Google's as good as they look, this might own. I already use Google Voice to SMS over data.

javidnky2005

Feb 4, 2009
I tried and my speeds increased from 315 to 458 and 22 to 87 kbps, download and upload respectively (tested in a 8th floor office bldg).

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

0vermind

Apr 13, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
I won't say I don't believe you, but it is impossible that only using another DNS server increases the upload/download speed.

Actually, that's not true. It has to do with pipe bandwidth and speed. Verizon obviously isn't as big as Google, and they also can handle better servers, it also has to do with where you are in the world, and on their network, and what you are doing. Google's DNS servers are configured and made for SPEED and speed only. Verizons DNS can also be bottlenecked to ensure "data consistancy" as they have came out and said before.

Chris says it better than I can though.

nickmcminn60

Oct 9, 2010
Asheville
HTCDev.net is completely down. I can post a mirror. Just hold on one second.

UPDATE http://www.filedropper.com/googledns

LOL I got it thanks. Speedtest i was getting 1.95down and 1.48up before but using this I get either a really good test score or really bad. ex. one time it will be 2.59down and 1.75 up and next time ill get 0.25down0 .5up-- permissions are different for these files as apposed to the files in the zip. i changed them to match the directory but it diddnt change anything

Last edited:

fubaya

Mar 20, 2010
DNS just translates URLs to IP addresses. I don't see how it would help upload/download speeds once you've connected to a site, but a bad DNS server will make connecting to a site take a while. Slow DNS servers make it take longer to find the site, but once it's found, how would DNS matter?

This script requires you to run it with an argument telling it which ppp device to use, ppp0 or ppp1 (does android even use ppp? mine doesn't but it's a Nexus One that doesn't have anything added by any carrier). If you don't supply it with an argument, it won't do anything. It will skip the first half of the script and enter incorrect information in the second half.

(it tries to enter things like: "net.$NAME.dns1", the $NAME variable is the same as the argument you use to run the script. If you don't use an argument, it will enter "net..dns1")

The script is placed in /etc/ppp/ip-up, meaning it is supposed to be executed when the ppp daemon detects a ppp connection. I don't think the ppp daemon can run it with arguments.

I personally don't see how flashing this script would do anything at all.

Just open a terminal emulator and type:
su
echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4" > /etc/resolv.conf

voila, DNS changed!

0vermind

Apr 13, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
DNS just translates URLs to IP addresses. I don't see how it would help upload/download speeds once you've connected to a site, but a bad DNS server will make connecting to a site take a while. Slow DNS servers make it take longer to find the site, but once it's found, how would DNS matter?

This script requires you to run it with an argument telling it which ppp device to use, ppp0 or ppp1 (does android even use ppp? mine doesn't but it's a Nexus One that doesn't have anything added by any carrier). If you don't supply it with an argument, it won't do anything. It will skip the first half of the script and enter incorrect information in the second half.

(it tries to enter things like: "net.$NAME.dns1", the $NAME variable is the same as the argument you use to run the script. If you don't use an argument, it will enter "net..dns1")

The script is placed in /etc/ppp/ip-up, meaning it is supposed to be executed when the ppp daemon detects a ppp connection. I don't think the ppp daemon can run it with arguments.

I personally don't see how flashing this script would do anything at all.

Just open a terminal emulator and type:
su
echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4" > /etc/resolv.conf

voila, DNS changed!

When loading a website, it's loading things from everywhere, for example, on my website, it loads things from Google Analystics, my Godaddy Grid Server (which is a bunch of different addresses), Statcounter, and ads. Each lookup takes take time complete and resolve. As far as file transfer, it has absolutely nothing to do with that. That's between you and the server you're downloading from, as well as the load of the server itself.

Does that command change the DNS permanently?

jdbiggles

Aug 3, 2009
Seattle, WA
another option...

This is a cool script, but I prefer to use Masqed Crusader app. It does the same thing (Google DNS) but adds Local Nameserver Caching and Ad-blocking. And it can be turned off and on just by hitting a button... no permanent changes. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just want to share this link that i came across today by HTCdev. Hopefully this helps some of you guys. It claims it's going to help 3g/4g speeds!

htcdev.net/topic/229295-download-flashable-google-dns-zip/