am i being impatient? i really want to see more apps!

Search This thread

ml3000

Dec 25, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, ID
I feel like I'm being impatient but I have emailed several developers and all the answers I have received have said that they either have not thought about it or they are not planning on building a tablet app. I keep looking everyday under apps for tablets section of the market place and it seems like it never changes. I saw the ipad 2 announcement today and it made me a little bummed seeing all the apps that they have. I have also heard that developers don't like developing for android cause they feel like we don't spend money on their apps. I just wish we didn't have this app stigma against us.....

Humph....

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
I feel like I'm being impatient but I have emailed several developers and all the answers I have received have said that they either have not thought about it or they are not planning on building a tablet app. I keep looking everyday under apps for tablets section of the market place and it seems like it never changes. I saw the ipad 2 announcement today and it made me a little bummed seeing all the apps that they have. I have also heard that developers don't like developing for android cause they feel like we don't spend money on their apps. I just wish we didn't have this app stigma against us.....

Humph....

Which developers have you emailed out of curiosity?

diaa08

Jan 2, 2009
Los Angeles

Humph....

I've had the opposite response, hell I've been beta testing a few apps currently being optimized for Xoom from these developers. That said, I agree with the sentiment that Android users don't donate/pay enough to incentivize developers.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
I've had the opposite response, hell I've been beta testing a few apps currently being optimized for Xoom from these developers. That said, I agree with the sentiment that Android users don't donate/pay enough to incentivize developers.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Me too. Beta testing Android Agenda widget now.

gbenj

Feb 4, 2008
When the ipad released I believe there we're only like 40 apps. Patience guys....

I think the ipad have a few thousand at launch. But it was a different situation as apple finalized the SDK and gave developers loads of time before they released the ipad.

Google only recently released the SDK with the hardware coming out soon after.

I think patience is the key, theres no question in my mind that the apps will come. There are too many tablets coming down the pike for apps not to follow.

I do feel like im out in the lake dipping my toes in the water before everyone else shows up, but thats what I (and presumably we all) knew when we bought the xoom.

jondwillis

Dec 12, 2010

Humph....

Just so you know, "Apps for Tablets" are only those hand-picked and blessed by Google. (I think)

gbenj

Feb 4, 2008
Just so you know, "Apps for Tablets" are only those hand-picked and blessed by Google. (I think)

(I think) too.

Anyone know where we can see the tablet optimized apps that arent listed in there? There really should be a tab for that in the market. (no pun indented)

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
(I think) too.

Anyone know where we can see the tablet optimized apps that arent listed in there? There really should be a tab for that in the market. (no pun indented)

I agree and it is one of my entries on my wish list in my sig. I hope that they are planning this and have not implemented it yet because there aren't many to choose from currently. But they really need to make it easier to see all apps that have tablet support in the market.

diaa08

Jan 2, 2009
Los Angeles

yeah, even inside the market there are more apps in the individual catergories. also, the way that the SDK is written, i think google intends to have the apps to be the same for both tablets and phones, with the app itself adjusting its behavior based on what kind of device its on. one upside of this is that almost all the existing apps work and aren't just zoomed in versions of themselves like on the iPad with iPod apps; they just need to be updated to better make use of the additional real estate on our screens.

daddiaz

Jan 11, 2011
How did you get a chance to beta test some apps? Did you sign up somewhere? Or just contacted the devel.?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

diaa08

Jan 2, 2009
Los Angeles
How did you get a chance to beta test some apps? Did you sign up somewhere? Or just contacted the devel.?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

other way around. but its not as glamorous as you think, a lot of sitting there experimenting with settings and emailing logs. just nice to be a bit of help since my programing/coding days are behind me.

ml3000

Dec 25, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, ID
hey thanks for the replys...

One developer that I have emailed is the created of dogcatcher, a podcast app. I feel like am just waiting for the bigger guys to put out something as well, like twitter or a new facebook app or something.

I agree to feeling like putting the toes in the water before anyone else. I really do like the xoom, just felt like I was feeling some doubts about the app community. I wish developers would see that we (are) willing to pay for decent apps! I would be more than willing to pay for something of quality.

I also agree about the app store. I've never been to big of a fan of apple. I mean they do make good products but they are not for me.they have however, made a great way to find iPad apps. You search for something and they show you both tablet and phone apps. That's also interesting about one app for two form factors. I didn't know that. Thank you for that information!

diaa08

Jan 2, 2009
Los Angeles
hey thanks for the replys...

One developer that I have emailed is the created of dogcatcher, a podcast app. I feel like am just waiting for the bigger guys to put out something as well, like twitter or a new facebook app or something.

I agree to feeling like putting the toes in the water before anyone else. I really do like the xoom, just felt like I was feeling some doubts about the app community. I wish developers would see that we (are) willing to pay for decent apps! I would be more than willing to pay for something of quality.

I also agree about the app store. I've never been to big of a fan of apple. I mean they do make good products but they are not for me.they have however, made a great way to find iPad apps. You search for something and they show you both tablet and phone apps. That's also interesting about one app for two form factors. I didn't know that. Thank you for that information!

No problem.

PS: I have also been in touch with Doggcatcher developer, since I use his app constantly. At least in our communications he mentioned that he was looking at options for us on the tablets, and that he definitely had some good ideas about what to do. His app is probably the most completely developed app I have used on Android, but he errs on the side of not breaking anything so it might take a little bit, but the app, in and of itself is quite usable on the Xoom as is.

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
Android Agenda Widget coming soon with tablet support.

xoomscreen2.png

bobdude5

Jan 12, 2009
Tustin

Humph....

not at all..it sucks. There isnt even a decent pdf reader. Originally i bought the ipad as a placeholder for the xoom, now that i have the xoom, i want my damn apps back. I'm returning this and getting the ipad 2. I LOVE the ui and i love android, but i hate the damn keyboard lag and I'm not patient enough to wait for apps.

Plus 300 bucks back in my pocket is alway a good thing :)

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
may be naive but does the agenda widget just show calendar appointments?

No, it hooks into task applications and other calendar apps too. For example, the one in my screenshot shows Oil change which is from the "Gtask" application for tasks. It also supports GotToDo, Astrid and Google Task Organizer in addition to Touchdown.