AT&T's response to my BBB complaint... "they aren't capping upload speeds"..yea right

OP kgeissler

11th March 2011, 03:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rowlett, TX
Thanks Meter: 61

454 posts
More
On March 09, 2011, the business provided the following information:

AT&T Mobility Tele: 952.703.4316
Regulatory Response Team Fax: 952.703.2307

AGENCY'S NAME:
Better Business Bureau of Metropolitan
Texas COMPANY'S NAME:
AT&T
ADDRESS:
1600 Pacific Ave Suite 2800
Dallas TX 75201 ADDRESS:
Office of the President
2325 N. University
Lubbock, TX 79415
AGENCY REP: N/A COMPLAINANT'S NAME:
Keith Geissler
AGENCY'S FILE NO.:
91172869 COMPANY'S FILE NO.:
CM20110302_18007584

AT&T Mobility (AT&T) received the above-referenced customer complaint and appreciates the opportunity to respond. Specifically, Keith Geissler complains that the recently released Motorola Atrix does not offer speeds anywhere near what advertised speeds claim. He is requesting activation of 4G services and removal of the cap on the Motorola Atrix services.

Account research regarding this complaint shows that AT&T is focused on delivering a wide choice of solutions and the best possible Smartphone experience to our customers. Be assured that AT&T has not "capped" the upload speeds on the ATRIX. The ATRIX is a HSUPA-capable device, and we currently are performing the testing and preparations necessary to ensure that, when we turn this feature on, you will continue to have a world class experience.

We ask that you please keep in mind; software is only one of many factors that can affect speeds experienced. Factors such as location, time of day, network capacity and facilities, can have an impact as well. Again, in order to ensure the best possible customer experience services will become available once testing has been completed.

AT&T sincerely regrets any inconvenience this issue may have caused. Please feel free to contact me directly at 952-703-4316 if you have any additional questions or concerns in this matter.

Name: Sheila Utech, Customer Appeals Manager, Executive Response
11th March 2011, 03:47 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 13

92 posts
You must not have read the letter very well, now did you?

Quote:

The ATRIX is a HSUPA-capable device

Quote:

when we turn this feature on, you will continue to have a world class experience.

11th March 2011, 03:50 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rowlett, TX
Thanks Meter: 61

454 posts
More
Thing is...I live in Dallas where 4G is "suppose" to be turned on.
11th March 2011, 03:52 PM   |  #4  
Flag Eastern PA
Thanks Meter: 27

378 posts
More
It is not capped but we will turn it on ...SMH
11th March 2011, 03:52 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 16

401 posts
More
I think the best idea would be to play the waiting game. Perhaps see what happens when they're finally done with the backhaul?
11th March 2011, 03:53 PM   |  #6  

92 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeissler

Thing is...I live in Dallas where 4G is "suppose" to be turned on.

Understood. However, it has been heavily discussed that HSUPA is infact DISABLED on the device its self. Hence their response.

HSPA+ is SHOWN on the device as active in all markets, however that is due to tower upgrades to reflect that... it does not mean you have HSPA+ yet if the back haul has not been upgraded to support the speeds.
11th March 2011, 03:54 PM   |  #7  

92 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixoNova

I think the best idea would be to play the waiting game. Perhaps see what happens when they're finally done with the backhaul?

That is likely the case. Download speeds are not capped on the phone, only limited to what the backhaul to the tower in your area can support.

That said, HSUPA is in fact disabled, so you WILL NOT see speeds above 300k/s until they enable it with a firmware upgrade (or a dev here on xda fixes it )
11th March 2011, 03:56 PM   |  #8  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 2

146 posts
More
A read of the sentence following the one you highlighted in bold indicates AT&T admits that HSUPA is not enabled yet. I'm hearing it will be enabled in June in 7 markets. A better question to AT&T might be why are they limiting access to existing HSPDA+ today, that testing has already been done.
11th March 2011, 04:02 PM   |  #9  

92 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_R

A read of the sentence following the one you highlighted in bold indicates AT&T admits that HSUPA is not enabled yet. I'm hearing it will be enabled in June in 7 markets.

The truth comes out... its good to know the BBB is good for something, as they couldnt just give a BS line in that response. Now we know they did infact disable it on purpose AND it will be activated.
11th March 2011, 05:30 PM   |  #10  
Flag Eastern PA
Thanks Meter: 27

378 posts
More
I am still waiting on a letter from AT&T's office of the president...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread