[Boot Animations + Tutorial] for 2.1+

Search This thread

ASimmons

Retired Recognized Developer
May 4, 2010
Tampa Bay
For people with the same problem:

I managed to get the Nexus One bootanimation.zip working by renaming/deleting the original bootanimation (in /system/customize/resources) and pushing the custom one to /system/media

Good luck!

edit:
I must add, this was done with the original Nexus One animation. I havent gotten the reversed one to work, also aftering the desc.txt

Hmm, even after manually replacing the images in the working animation it doesn't work.

Take the compression off of your zip file the compression ratio should be store only.

mjybarr

Jul 18, 2010
www.mexdroidmod.com
What software do you need to make a boot animation??

I see in the OP to use Flash, but is that the only software needed to make a custom boot animation? I use a Windows based computer.

As far a Linux based computer, what software is needed to create a boot animation?

Thanks in advanced!

drater

Jul 24, 2009
I see in the OP to use Flash, but is that the only software needed to make a custom boot animation? I use a Windows based computer.

As far a Linux based computer, what software is needed to create a boot animation?

Thanks in advanced!
You can use any animation software, just make sure you can convert it into a series of png files.

if anyone needs a boot animation, pm me with details of what you need and what phone you have, and i'll see what i can do

aazmath

May 24, 2010
OP
Hello;)

does anybody have seen boot animation from Leshak's Froyo?

This silver ANDROID...

I Cant find it anywhere...

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
Rename to "bootanimation.zip" then just use adb to push these to /system/media All working on G1, may need to edit desc.txt for different screen sizes

This is the nexus one boot animation inverted for Eclair roms
NexInvert.zip *updated*

This is a very simple, very quickly made android loading animation
AndLoad.zip

Another quick one, pretend sdcard format..
format.zip

Heres a Starfield one
Starfield.zip

heres one i made for trystlore
umberella2.zip

Heres some swirling smoke
smokeswirl.zip

I'm not sure what to call this one. Just a simple animation with android in the back :)
a1.zip

Tutorial

Explanation of the "desc.txt"

any questions, ask
any requests, ask

How, if possible, could this be accomplished on your computer ans saved as a CWM file?

Khar00f

Aug 22, 2010
Montreal
Here is my contribution to this thread,

Regarding this particular bootanimation that I posted

This GIF was custom made for me from a friend a while back it was inspired by the spinning logo on the jumbotron of the Bell Center, and thought it would be cool to have it as a desktop background. Just 2 days ago I stumbled on it by mistake and decided to try to use it as my boot screen (it looks very sweet too).

as for details, regarding it, there's a total of 100 frames of 480x400 resolution

A few things I would like to note that could probably help a lot of ppl or maybe it's just me :)

I went thought a lot of trial and error to try and understand why I was getting a black screen everytime until it finally worked.

First some tool that can help you guys.

Both tools are available as a standalone zips without the need to installing them.

This tool will allow you to rename one or more files, it's extremely powerfull, although takes some getting used to at first

Bulk Rename Utility

This will allow you to extract an animated GIF into PNG files or other formats

GIF Frame Extractor

Now one thing to note that took a long time to figure out was that you gotta follow the naming convention of the original bootanimation.zip of your rom, since I checked out a lot of animation and saw they each ha diff names in the folders part0/1 figured as long as there's a sequential numbering for the files that the animation will kick in.... unfortunately NO, save yourself a lot of headaches, extract the bootanimation.zip from your phone look at the naming convention and rename your files to match using the tool above.

Attachments

• habs_bootanimation.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Mr.Fr33man

Jul 22, 2009
Dortmund
Ok i have tried it now for hours and i have read the full tread and everything but i am stuck... it wont work at all.

is there an exact format to be used to make it work? because i tried every setting with ps cs3 as png but one time i got an white screen and then an other time an blackscreen... has it to be smaller than the display? or is there any limitation i miss?

please help i don't know what i am doing wrong...

wanted to help with a request... (even if i don't get it :p (the jugalo thing?! :confused:))

I messed around with the file attached

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

Evo4sickness

Jan 18, 2011
OK Ive been making badass video tansformer clips for the boot animation. The problem Iam having it says not to compress in zip but how the do you do that when you suppose to turn it into a zip as in bootanimation.zip. When I store in 7zip I cant do anything with the three folders there so how Iam I suppose to do this. This has been pissing me off for hours.

OmenSixSixSix

Nov 16, 2010
HELLsinki
Use winrar to save your zip in a store-mode. No compression is in use. I'm sure you can also do it with 7zip but not familiar with it. Options for maximum, medium or store/no compression choice must be somewhere in the options. I've done mine with winrar and worked every time. Hope that helped.

Sent from my Stargåte Galaxy S

Evo4sickness

Jan 18, 2011
Use winrar to save your zip in a store-mode. No compression is in use. I'm sure you can also do it with 7zip but not familiar with it. Options for maximum, medium or store/no compression choice must be somewhere in the options. I've done mine with winrar and worked every time. Hope that helped.

Sent from my Stargåte Galaxy S

I downloaded winrar and still havent been able to get this properly done. I changed the setting to store and no compression this really ****ing driving me insane now. The only improvement that my boot animation went from a black screen to white screen. Let me know anything you can so I can try fix this problem

silverxbv2

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jun 28, 2010
I downloaded winrar and still havent been able to get this properly done. I changed the setting to store and no compression this really ****ing driving me insane now. The only improvement that my boot animation went from a black screen to white screen. Let me know anything you can so I can try fix this problem

With 7zip, highlight all the folders you want to zip then right click on one of them, choose 7zip, then add to archive. This will show you a bunch of options. Name it bootanimation.zip or whatever it is for your phone. The second or third line down, choose store for compression. Hit ok.

Heres the secret. Now go back to your zip you just created and open it. Open every folder in there and delete any thumbs.db that you find. Those can cause flickering, pausing, all kinds of bad stuff.

Or, pm me and I'll walk you through it more if you'd like.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

Last edited:

silverxbv2

Jun 28, 2010
Ok i have tried it now for hours and i have read the full tread and everything but i am stuck... it wont work at all.

is there an exact format to be used to make it work? because i tried every setting with ps cs3 as png but one time i got an white screen and then an other time an blackscreen... has it to be smaller than the display? or is there any limitation i miss?

wanted to help with a request... (even if i don't get it :p (the jugalo thing?! :confused:))

I optimized your pngs to reduce the file size. The desc.txt was all wrong, sort of.

You have
480 800 30p 1 10 part0

You SHOULD have
480 800 30
p 1 10 part0
***BLANK LINE HERE*** The last line has to be blank.

Try this out and post your results. It may need to be slowed down a bit.

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    368 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Mr.Fr33man

silverxbv2

Jun 28, 2010
Now one thing to note that took a long time to figure out was that you gotta follow the naming convention of the original bootanimation.zip of your rom, since I checked out a lot of animation and saw they each ha diff names in the folders part0/1 figured as long as there's a sequential numbering for the files that the animation will kick in.... unfortunately NO, save yourself a lot of headaches, extract the bootanimation.zip from your phone look at the naming convention and rename your files to match using the tool above.

Not true. Every boot animation I've tried and made have had different names. My current one is image1.png, image2.png etc. The last one I made was 001.png, 002.png, etc. Now with non rooted phones it may be different.

TheWeasl

Jan 22, 2009
Ulm
Rename to "bootanimation.zip" then just use adb to push these to /system/media All working on G1, may need to edit desc.txt for different screen sizes

This is the nexus one boot animation inverted for Eclair roms
NexInvert.zip *updated*

AndLoad.zip

format.zip

Heres a Starfield one
Starfield.zip

umberella2.zip

smokeswirl.zip

I'm not sure what to call this one. Just a simple animation with android in the back :)
a1.zip

Tutorial

any questions, ask
any requests, ask

is there anyway you can do one in bios style for the galaxy tab running overcome?

that'll be damn nice...

TABatalk'd from somewhere in the galaxy

Mr.Fr33man

Jul 22, 2009
Dortmund
I optimized your pngs to reduce the file size. The desc.txt was all wrong, sort of.

You have
480 800 30p 1 10 part0

You SHOULD have
480 800 30
p 1 10 part0

I tried but i only got again a black screen.
Thanks for the tip with the desc.txt file i will def look into it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's working!!! thank you

and it is looking nice and running smooth, excellent.

now can you tell me what i did wrong? with what tools do you work?
    i am on a Windows based system, and would like to work there :)

The images were fine. It was all in the desc.txt. It has to be formatted the way I described earlier.

First line is size and speed
    480 800 15

Next lines are for the folders and how they "play"
    p 0 1 partx, x being whatever the folder is.

There has to be a blank line at the end. If you use notepad++, you will see the blank line.
    encode.jpg

Then make sure it is saved as a unix file with ansi encoding.

Unix.jpg

This is the nexus one boot animation inverted
    NexInvert.zip *updated*

AndLoad.zip

format.zip

Heres a Starfield one
    Starfield.zip

umberella2.zip

smokeswirl.zip

a1.zip

Tutorial

Getting the files ready

1. First create your animation. I usually use Flash.

2. Once you are happy with it you need to turn it into a series of png files. In flash goto [File > Export > Export Movie] then choose "PNG Sequence".

3. Next you have to rename the png files. i use "better file rename" for this (eg. "animation_00001.png", "animation_00002.png")

Making the bootanimation.zip

1. First make two folders "part0" and "part1" (you can call them anything, but its easier to explain this way)
    (part0 is for animation that plays once, part1 is for animation that loops untill the device is loaded.)

2. Now make a text file "desc.txt" and enter something like this:

"320 480 30p 1 0 part0p 0 0 part1" - G1 example

"480 800 30p 1 0 part0p 0 0 part1" - N1 example

3. Once you have that done its time to turn it into a zip. I use Winrar for this. Make sure you call it bootanimation.zip and there must be No Compression. The zip is just for storage.

It should look like this:
    bootanimation.zip -
    • > part0
    • > part1
    • > desc.txt

4. After that just push via adb to /system/media (i think /data/local also works)

Tzira said:
    320 480 15
    p 1 150 android
    p 50000 1 last

First line contains 3 numbers width, height and fps

Second line (and any succesive lines) starts with the letter "p" (which comes from animation part) and contains 3 items:

-count: number of time this part is repeated

-pause: number of microseconds to pause after the last frame of the part

-path: the directory which contains the png files that compose the frame of this part

any questions, ask
    any requests, ask
    well I under stand the resolution is the first to numbers but the rest...there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. 'part 0' is supposedly the animation that doesn't loop, but in my openECLAIR animation, all the images are in 'part 0' and it continuously loops no problem.

this might help:

The original file looks like this: 480 427 30p 1 0 part0p 0 10 part1
    -480 - stretched width of the animation (my orig files were 256x256 pixels)
    -427 - stretched height of the animation
    -30p - this controlled the speed of both parts of the animation
    -1 - this defined how many times part0 of the animation looped
    -0 - saw no change when altering this number
    -part0 - folder containing first part of the animation
    -p - this was a bit confusing as there is no space between the words "part0" & the "p". I tried adding a space and changing this number -> "part0 30p". I expected this to change the speed of the second part of the animation, but there was no change as far as I could tell.
    -0 - this defined the number of times part1 of the animation looped (0=infinite)
    -10 - saw no change when altering this number
    -part1 - folder containing second part of the animation

found that at droidforums posted by "bots"

You have
    480 800 30p 1 10 part0

You SHOULD have
    480 800 30
    p 1 10 part0

Correct file

Alright. This is the correct one. Let me know