OP thechamp007

23rd March 2011, 03:40 PM   |  #231  
Flag Bangalore;Surathkal
Thanks Meter: 46

193 posts
More
Post Firmware updates???
Hey guys,
I am a noob, but I read a lot about firmware updates for this phone(I own it too). Well what is the use of these "firmware" updates?
thanks!
23rd March 2011, 08:50 PM   |  #232  
Flag Almelo
Thanks Meter: 283

828 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrythescorpion

well, i just tried this trick. if u have noticed, the "USB debugging" automatically turns on even if u have it un checked in the settings. so what i did was. when i connected the phone via an usb cable(onto a computer that doesnot has the kies installed), i unchecked the usb debugging, and immediately, i got an option in the drop down menu to connect to an us b device. and when i clicked on it, that D-roid picture came up that said turn usb on. and i clicked on it and voila! my phone showed up as mass storage device in my computer. Try this. it should work.

I will definitely try this tomorrow at work. Very good find!
23rd March 2011, 09:09 PM   |  #233  
Flag Almelo

828 posts
More
If my USB mass storage annoyance proves fixed tomorrow, there is only one major issue remaining: wifi problems. I have two types of problems with my Ace regarding wifi:

1) Wifi will not switch on at all.
2) Wifi is enabled but no data is being transferred.

They both seem to occur randomly. I've googled for a solution: some people think it's caused by router settings. Suggested solutions include disabling 'mixed mode' on your router (set it to N or G only), turning off auto channel switching, etc. I've tried these suggestions although they all seemed like a longshot. Result: not fixed. I recently installed alogcat and waited for the next 'switch on' failure. This was just now. Logfile output:
Code:
D/WifiService(  171): setWifiEnabledDialog: true
D/WifiService(  171): ****************setWifiEnabledDialog(), allowWifi****************true
I/WifiService(  171): setShowAccessPointListDialog():true
I/WifiService(  171): setWifiEnabledDialog(): true
E/AudioPolicyManagerBase(   95): unknown stream type
D/Beautiful Widgets(  692): WIFI_STATE_CHANGED_ACTION
I/wlan_tool( 1858): wifi loading 
W/AudioFlinger(   95): write blocked for 166 msecs, 559 delayed writes, thread 0xbb50
I/wlan_tool( 1862): Driver is initialized. load it 
I/wlan_tool( 1869): ar6000 driver fails to load 
I/wlan_tool( 1877): wifi unloading 
D/Beautiful Widgets(  692): WIFI_STATE_CHANGED_ACTION
Quite similar to the logfile posted by sahilkhurana earlier in this thread. Does anybody have a clue what's going on here?
23rd March 2011, 09:26 PM   |  #234  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 5

131 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrovski80

1) Wifi will not switch on at all.
2) Wifi is enabled but no data is being transferred.

1. I think the wifi not switching on is a firmware bug.
What i do is reset the wifi driver and turn it on. Dial the wlantest code to reset the wifi driver: *#*#526#*#*

You need to dial it manually or copy and paste from a notepad. Saving it via phonebook and calling will not work.

Now i need an app which will do the the wlantest automatically. Anyone there knows any app?

Note: When your below 15% battery power you cannot enable wifi nor the wlantest will work successfully.

2. Wifi is enabled but no data is being transferred
Haven't encountered this one. But when using wifi tether i cannot transmit data. What i do is i turn off and then turn on the wifi tether.
Maybe you can turn off and turn on wifi again to receive data.
Last edited by roninxt; 23rd March 2011 at 10:12 PM.
23rd March 2011, 09:43 PM   |  #235  
Flag Kecskemet
Thanks Meter: 4

112 posts
Hi all wifi not turning on is a froyo bug. Sgs hardcore is trying to make a solution fixing it. Maybe it will be generic solution in the future.

Sent from my GT-I9000
23rd March 2011, 10:05 PM   |  #236  
Flag Almelo

828 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninxt

1. I think the wifi not switching on is a firmware bug.
What i do is reset the wifi driver and turn it on. Dial the wlantest code to reset the wifi driver: *#*#526#*#*

You need to dial it manually or copy and paste from a notepad. Saving it via phonebook and calling will work.

Now i need an app which will do the the wlantest automatically. Anyone there knows any app?

Note: When your below 15% battery power you cannot enable wifi nor the wlantest will work successfully.

2. Wifi is enabled but no data is being transferred
Haven't encountered this one. But when using wifi tether i cannot transmit data. What i do is i turn off and then turn on the wifi tether.
Maybe you can turn off and turn on wifi again to receive data.

Thanks for the wlan test tip. Sure beats rebooting my phone to fix the driver. Will try it next time I encounter the problem.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA App
23rd March 2011, 10:07 PM   |  #237  
Flag Almelo

828 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guika

Hi all wifi not turning on is a froyo bug. Sgs hardcore is trying to make a solution fixing it. Maybe it will be generic solution in the future.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Hmm let's hope the fix will be general. I'll contact samsung support by phone to see if they can confirm this. Thanks for the info.

23rd March 2011, 10:13 PM   |  #238  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 5

131 posts
More
@Petrovski80
Just updated my post. Saving the wlantest code to the phonebook and calling will NOT work. You need to dial manually.
23rd March 2011, 10:18 PM   |  #239  
Flag Almelo

828 posts
More
Yeah I noticed. Anyway my contact entry still helps me remember the dial code. ;)

24th March 2011, 01:56 AM   |  #240  
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnzel

Did somebody else experience a huge battery drain when switching from 2G to 3G network with network data on? Usually it lasted for 2,5 d but when I turn on 3G it eats my battery in just 6 h O.o.
I'm on xxka6 baseband and xwka9 build

Ok for anybody still interested, I think I fixed it. If I'm right the wireless synchronisation feature of Winamp seems to cause the Ace to steadily switch the mobile data modes.
I also changed the network setting to auto GSM/CDMA in the Test menu (enter *#*#4636#*#* in dial app) ... anybody has experience with that?
Last edited by Damnzel; 24th March 2011 at 01:59 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ace, root ace, s5830, samsung galaxy ace s5830
Previous Thread Next Thread