Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,692 Members 40,284 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to rescue our bricked phone

Tip us?

Graveir
Old
(Last edited by Graveir; 28th March 2011 at 01:36 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 236
Default [GUIDE] How to rescue our bricked phone

Some people seem to have trouble with looking for info, so here it is, in noob friendly, convenient way.

There are basically four ways to restore our phone to usability, and usage somewhat depends upon how heavily is your system damaged

1. xRecovery
If our phone does not load the system (so we're stuck at SE logo on boot) and we have xRecovery, we can flash the last working backup. This is as clear as it can be, provided that you need to know something already to install xRecovery.

For those who don't know what it is: it's a boothack, which allows to backup and restore all the data stored on phone memory, install custom zips and do other cunning stuff

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=878426 - here's how to install it, enjoy.

2. Flashtool
Flashtool is a software developed for Xperia X10, with later added functionality for our precious X8.

It comes in handy when two things happen: we cannot, for whatever reason, enter xRecovery and we don't want to/cannot use SEUS or PCC.

How to use?
1. Download latest version from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=920746
2. Download ROM image, whichever you prefer:
X8 Shakira E15i_2.1.1.A.0.6_generic.ftf
X8_1.6_clear.ftf
X8_2.0.2_China.ftf
SE x8_2.1_rus.ftf
3. Download the baseband if you want to flash it (custom ROMs like miniCM or CM7 require baseband ending with "15" in order for app2sd to work):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=976538
4. Place ftf file in /firmwares directory of your flashtool.
5. Install drivers from /drivers directory (if your antivirus doesn't like them, disable the antivirus :P)
6. Prepare yourself - plug the USB cable to the computer (NOT TO THE DEVICE YET) and launch flasher.
7. Click "flash", choose your ROM from the list, wait for instructions.
8. When the instruction pops up, press and hold "back" button on your X8 and plug the cable into it. Keep holding untill you see that flashing of files has begun, then you may release it.
9. Flashing will take a while, you may observe the progress on a bottom bar. When it's finished you will be asked to plug off your device and reboot it.
10. Tadam! It's functional again! Clean installation which you may screw up again
11. If you wish to change baseband, clean firmware directory in flashtool and place baseband ftf file in it, then go through flashing procedure again.

3. SEUS/PCC flashing
Most probably the most prototipical way to deal with it. PCC is PC Companion, soft that you obtain on your SD card along with your device, or you can download from SE website: http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/supp...10?cc=gb&lc=en

Once downloaded and installed, launch it. Most probably it will download some updates. Then choose device updating and follow the instructions. As for flashing - the procedure with holidng back button is the same as with flashtool.

As PCC is heavy and buggy, we are presented with an alternative - SEUS, the Sony Ericsson Update Service. You may download it here: http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/supp...10?cc=gb&lc=en

Once installed and launched, SEUS will start looking for updates. Let it take its time. After a while you will be presented with a board full of phones. Choose your Xperia from the list and continue. You will be asked to flash your phone, analogically as in flashtool in point 2. After flashing is done, SEUS will download the latest SE ROM available for your device and flash it.

ATTENTION
Flashtool, PCC and SEUS will cause loss of data such as contacts, stored messages, installed apps and so on. Anything that exists in phone memory will be erased.

Flashing a backup in xRecovery will cause similar data loss. However, it is possible to flash only system or only data backup in xRecovery. Some ROMs (like miniCM) are updated by update.zip which erases only /system folder, leaving personal data and installed apps intact.

However, you need to be able to enter xRecovery mode in order to use it, SEUS and flashtool do not require enabling the phone. PCC requires the phone to be turned on first in order to recognize it correctly, so it's more update-oriented.

Hope someone will benefit. If you see any mistakes, in spelling, grammar or content, let me know and I will correct it!
The Following 86 Users Say Thank You to Graveir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Imppy
Old
Thanks Meter 143
haha nice post...

i guess you bricked your phone too much today lol...and decided to write a guide...

really cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Imppy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Graveir
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 236
That is correct, and it took me some time to assamble all the things I needed, especially that SEUS was crashing on update And I really see nothing wrong in making threads that contain all the necessary info in one place, as long as it's mistakes free and helps anyone I've seen similar threads on polish android boards and they help a lot, both people who need such help and board stuff, who don't need to close/combine/delete multiple threads concerning the very same issue.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graveir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

malungkot
Old
Thanks Meter 292
This is very helpful.. thanks Man..
The Following User Says Thank You to malungkot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nas@xdaDevelopers
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Do i have to flash the baseband before the ROM?

Sent from my Xperia X8 using XDA Premium
Device: Sony Eric**** Xperia X8 White (Bootloader Unlocked)
Rom:
GingerXperia V17 By xperiafan13
Kernel:
nAa-06b By nobodyAtall
The Following User Says Thank You to Nas@xdaDevelopers For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Graveir
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 236
Nope, you flash ROM first, then then you may change baseband. I'll add this info to the first post
The Following User Says Thank You to Graveir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nas@xdaDevelopers
Old
(Last edited by Nas@xdaDevelopers; 31st March 2011 at 09:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveir View Post
Nope, you flash ROM first, then then you may change baseband. I'll add this info to the first post
Okay thanks, but is it safe when changing the baseband? I read from the other thread about somekind of lost signal issue?
Sorry i'm a little bit noob about this stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nas@xdaDevelopers For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Graveir
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 236
If you open the thread with basebands and the online directory with basebands and kernels you will see that there are files for E15 mobile phone divided into two kinds - E15i and E15a. i is for Europe, a is for USA. If you flash wrong files - 3G won't work.

Or at least that's how I understand that issue :P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graveir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xcal_tau
Old
Thanks Meter 14
thanks man,,,i bricked my phone.. need this
The Following User Says Thank You to xcal_tau For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

N'ash
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Great Job Graveir, Thanks. Method2 worked for me.

Processor: Exynos 4412 Quad CPU / Mali-400MP GPU
Camera: 8MP/ 1080p Video Recording
Display: 4.8" Super AMOLED HD
ROM: Slimbean 4.3 Build 1
Theme: DarkPie UI
Pebble Blue

Tags
bricked phone, flashing, rescuing