Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,605 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[App] GMapPro -[R] 7th Apr 2011 -[v] 2.3

Tip us?

vrassouli
Old
(Last edited by vrassouli; 7th April 2011 at 11:18 AM.) Reason: Updating to version 2.3
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default [App] GMapPro -[R] 7th Apr 2011 -[v] 2.3

Name: GMapPro Veriosn 2.3

In this version, some of the bugs and performance issues are fixed and also it has some new features which are going to be extended in the next version of GMapPro...

Features:
1. Use Google Maps which is the most complete mapping solution available in the world
2. Download the maps of desired area, and use them while you are offline
3. Provide a list of downloads so you can delete them in future (if you don't wish to keep them anymore)
4. Use the phones internal GPS, to find you on the map
5. Markers:
5.1 Tap and hold a location to put a new marker.
5.2 View the list of markers and easily jump to the marked location.
5.3 Shows your location with a different marker.
6. Addresses: (Requires Internet Connection)
6.1 Shows the address of your location.
6.2 Jump to a desired address.
7. Preferred zoom level for "My Location" feature. Now, if you tap on My Location button, it will show the map whit the pre-configured settings.
8. Track me! by selecting this option from menu, GMapPro will show your location and track your movement on the map! It also shows your movement speed! (currently a very simple speedometer!)
9. Calculate the direct distance between to points in km or miles.

Installing GMapPro

1. You need to have a developer unlocked WP7 device for side-loading, or you can install it to the emulator.
2. Installing WP7 app is easy using Tom's XAP Installer.
3. Download the App from the attachment, unzip and then install

Please feel free to let me know about how it works, and what features you need...
Attached Files
File Type: rar GMapPro V2.2.rar - [Click for QR Code] (242.2 KB, 1157 views)
File Type: rar GMapPro V2.3.rar - [Click for QR Code] (242.3 KB, 12341 views)
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to vrassouli For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ricky119
Old
Thanks Meter 3
nice,let me have the first try
NOKIA Lumia 800
Samsung Omina7
Samsung Focus
Moto Milestone
HTC HD2
HTC Touch Diamond
Nokia N82
Sony Ericsson W950i
Sony Ericsson W610c
Sony Ericsson K750c
Samsung C208
Samsung D108
Samsung A188
Nokia 8210

Donate to Ricky

My Blog

malatesta
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Geoloaction doesn't work.

Sprint Arrive, NoDo
AT&T Focus, NoDo
"The past is never quite how you remember, the future's promise may not be fulfilled. Live for the present. The ruins fall around us as we speak."

vrassouli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Hi alatesta, thanks for your intrest and your reply.
Geaolocation uses the internal GPS device in your phone.
please make sure you have enabled the location service (Settings->Location), and your device also should have access to GPS satelites (this means, sometimes gps doesn't work becouse of a cloudy sky or inside of the buildings!)

~~Tito~~
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 80
Hey can you take a look at the guidelines sticky and change your OP accordingly?

~~Tito~~
My Device(s):
Phone: T-Mobile HTC One HBOOT Status: S-Off ROM: InsertCoin Accesories: Bear Motion Premium Slim Back Cover

This phone is amazing. Bravo HTC, bravo .

My Twitter My Google+

malatesta
Old
(Last edited by malatesta; 2nd April 2011 at 10:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrassouli View Post
Hi alatesta, thanks for your intrest and your reply.
Geaolocation uses the internal GPS device in your phone.
please make sure you have enabled the location service (Settings->Location), and your device also should have access to GPS satelites (this means, sometimes gps doesn't work becouse of a cloudy sky or inside of the buildings!)
I'm aware of how GPS works...I have five Windows Phones, 3 which are developer unlocked ;)

Version 2.0 now pulls down my address but the map itself does not change, meaning my map stays a global map instead of zooming into my location.

No offense, but your app is kind of useless at this point.

Update: so you have to manually zoom in, by pinching? Why doesn't it just auto-zoom into your location instead of showing the world map?
"The past is never quite how you remember, the future's promise may not be fulfilled. Live for the present. The ruins fall around us as we speak."

vrassouli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Yes, you are right. current version just saves the last zoom level which you have browsed manually and whenever you tap to get in your location, it just uses the current zoom level.
I'll add an option in next version, so you can define the zoom level by which you wish to view your location on map.
Thanks for your reply

ertz
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Feels like a good start. It still has serious performance issues and, from a usability perspective, it's not obvious how to search for an address.

The green arrow (location marker) points to another location when you double tap to zoom in.

Keep up!

vrassouli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Hi ertz, thanks for your reply
The green arrow, just shows your location which is retrived from internal GPS, not the location which you double tap.
And about the performance issues, would you provide some detailed information about these issues so I can handle them properly?
By the way, to search for an address, simply select the "jump to address" from the menu.

ertz
Old
(Last edited by ertz; 4th April 2011 at 12:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Hi ertz, thanks for your reply
You're welcome, thank you for the application!

Quote:
The green arrow, just shows your location which is retrived from internal GPS, not the location which you double tap.
Yes, I understood what the green arrow meant as it pointed to my house. I just found that when I double tap the map to zoon in, the arrow moved to another location. Must be a random bug because I couldn't reproduce it every time.

Quote:
And about the performance issues, would you provide some detailed information about these issues so I can handle them properly?
Well, it feels like a performance issue, but it might actually be how the zoom function is handled. When I pinch to zoom in/out it takes a little while for the app to actually zoom in. And when I change the zoom, the previous zoom level disappears and shows a "Loading" text. It just feels a little unresponsive.

You could probably change the approach to how the zoom works. Take the built-in Bing maps as an example: when you zoom in/out, the previous zoom level is still visible and you can actually see the map getting bigger/smaller while you do the pinch gesture.

Quote:
By the way, to search for an address, simply select the "jump to address" from the menu.
Yep, I did find the "Jump to Address" function. I'm a graphics designer and I have some experience with UX/UI Design as well. What I meant in my previous reply is that "Jump to Address" isn't as obvious as saying "Search for address". Also, it would be much better if you add an icon to the app bar; the search function is used very often by people, so making it visible at all times is a good idea.

I hope I made myself clear. English isn't my primary language

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that when I move around, the parts of the map that are no longer visible are "discarded"... When I move back to the place I was a second ago, the map has to be reloaded. Depending on how you coded this, it might have a negative impact on the user's wallet. It costs money to download the maps.

Tags
google, map, offline, windows phone, wp7