[Resolved] [UPDATE 3] Why isnt my Twitter Working, what does it mean & what can I do? [See Here]

Search This thread

timmymarsh

Senior Moderator - Emeritus
Mar 26, 2007
Just one More
[UPDATE 3] Why isnt my Twitter Working, what does it mean & what can I do? [See Here]

Ok guys,

Many of you have or are finding out (depending on how much of a twit-a-holic you are) that you are having problems accessing twitter on various clients, inc HTC Peep, Motweets etc.

Sites around the web were getting splashed with a mysterious dialog Tuesday, thanks to a change in the way Twitter handles user authentication.

It states that a username and password are being requested by Twitter, with the unhelpful message, “Twitter API.” The same dialog has been spotted on ReadWriteWeb and even on Twitter’s own website.

In addition, users of some Twitter apps, including Twitter’s own Tweetie and BlackBerry apps, Tweetdeck and Twitterrific and HTC Peep have complained of Twitter login problems.

In the case of the website dialog, entering your username and password doesn’t do anything useful, and won’t make the dialog box go away. Indeed, it will often reappear several times during a session.

The cause of the troubl is a change in the way Twitter handles user authentication for remote sites and programs. Instead of giving a Facebook app your Twitter username and password, for instance, Twitter now requires the app use a protocol known as OAuth to hand you off to Twitter’s website. Once you’ve authorized Twitter to share your information with the other site or app, it hands a token back to that app, and the two can share information with each other.

The new, OAuth-based method is more secure and ultimately more reliable (for instance, you don’t have to update every Twitter app you use whenever you change your Twitter password).

However, now that Twitter has switched, programs and sites using the old authentication method are not working properly.

That includes websites using Twitter widgets with older code. These widgets, which embed the latest tweets from specific Twitter users, appear to rely on the old authentication method.

The solution should be simply to upgrade if possible. If you have old widget code on your website, go to Twitter.com and get a new widget embed code. Similarly, if you’re using a Twitter app that’s having login problems, the solution is almost certainly to upgrade to the latest version. Twitterrific’s developers, for instance, have spent the day urging the app’s many users to upgrade. Developers have known about the authentication switch for months now, and most have been able to release updated versions of their software that works properly with the new OAuth system.

People using HTC Peep have been getting the error message "incorrect username or password" whilst trying to post or update, which is even more frustrating when some other apps on the iphone for example work perfectly well.

This is what Twitter blog has to say : http://blog.twitter.com/2010/08/twitter-applications-and-oauth.html

Cool smart phone tweeted this today as word finally gets around : http://www.coolsmartphone.com/news6158.html

So, when will HTC be releasing a hotfix for Peep? Answer is I dont honestly know. Lots of people inc myself have been asking HTC exactly this but they arent giving anything away at the moment, but updates will be posted here.

If you guys hear anything, please feel free to post your info here.

Remember, try and be patient, HTC have only had 8 months to sort this out.........:rolleyes::eek::)

Cheers.

Last edited:

ferlanero

Nov 4, 2008
León
www.ubuntuleon.com
Hey guys,

HTC peep for winmo is indeed working, for those of you it isnt, you should clear the cache and other files.

Heres how you do it if you dont know :

• Sign out of your twitter account.
  • Power off and restart your device (or soft reset)
  • Using file explorer (or total commander) goto: my device/temp/TwitEng/Cache and delete the files there.
  • Goto: my device/temp/TwitEng/Db and delete the files there.

Sign back in and you should be good to go :)

Those of you who have problems uploading pics whilst posting, change your photo host in twitter settings from twitgoo to twitpic (worked for me)

Any problems let me know but you should be up and running.

fyi, i suspect that twitter have only relaxed Oauth for htc peep winmo as obviously there has been no hotfix, but as always i will find out for those who want to know the why's.

Greetz.

It works, it works!!! :-D But I need to perform a hard reset to my phone :'( But HTC Peep is back again!! :-D

Niels-je

Jun 7, 2007
I did a restart, I cleared all cache files, again a restart. I tried turning Sense off and on.

Nothing works! I still can't sign in to HTC Peep (username/password error). Very frustrating...

What else to try to get HTC Peep working again on my HD2?

alecs4000

Jul 20, 2009
Twitter tab still dead for me

Nothing revives my twitter tab in WinMo sense. Deleted cache and db, reset phone, restarted sense, changed PW in twitter. Nothing. :(

Niels-je

Jun 7, 2007
Hi,

after changing mein password in twitter, peep works.
Its amazing :D

Thank you! That was the solution to get my HTC Peep going again!

But in the past 2 weeks I've gotten used to moTweets, so I'm not sure yet what program I'm going to use. I do like the integration in Sense of HTC Peep...
Well, moTweets will definitely stay as a back-up, you might never know with HTC/Twitter ;)

ravibc

Nov 4, 2008
Thank you! That was the solution to get my HTC Peep going again!

But in the past 2 weeks I've gotten used to moTweets, so I'm not sure yet what program I'm going to use. I do like the integration in Sense of HTC Peep...
Well, moTweets will definitely stay as a back-up, you might never know with HTC/Twitter ;)

This is the solution to htc peeps on winmo - change password on twitter (website) - then login to htc peeps using new password - all works ok... nice one guys :D

(htc are lame - they should issue an update note!) :mad:

daveknoop

Oct 19, 2009
Same problem her, he said sinds a couple of days that the account nog access have to the twitterserver

cache delete, db delete, change password, tried to install the hotfix what failt. so somebody the solution to fix htc peep?

Silberschweif

Oct 31, 2010
I have exact the same problem since 29 March too. I have nothing changed in my settings. How I can fix the problem now?

Here is what HTC says officially on twitter: https:// twitter.com /htc [delete the " " to open the link]:

"We’re aware of the issue and are checking on it internally. Stay tuned, and thx for your patience."

Same problem here, i think twitter had done something on the oauth. So i've been switched to Azurea.
What's this, oauth and Azurea?

Last edited:

azmadu

Jul 7, 2003
Hey guys,

HTC peep for winmo is indeed working, for those of you it isnt, you should clear the cache and other files.

Heres how you do it if you dont know :

• Sign out of your twitter account.
  • Power off and restart your device (or soft reset)
  • Using file explorer (or total commander) goto: my device/temp/TwitEng/Cache and delete the files there.
  • Goto: my device/temp/TwitEng/Db and delete the files there.

Sign back in and you should be good to go :)

Those of you who have problems uploading pics whilst posting, change your photo host in twitter settings from twitgoo to twitpic (worked for me)

Any problems let me know but you should be up and running.

Greetz.

This didn't work for me, and I changed my password many times on the website but still get "You entered an incorrect username or password" message.

Hmmm, very annoying and this even after I installed the LEO_S01236.exe update this morning.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Az

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    twitter have made changes to their api again, htc have not updated their peep app so you will continue to get errors unfortunately until either party address this. (its all over twitter, have a look at google too)

I would recommend using a different twitter client atm :eek: