Easiest Step-By-Step Android Tutorial for the Vogue (NAND Method/Internal Memory)

Search This thread

shadowgerm

Mar 6, 2009
drawbacks?

Are there any drawbacks to flashing to Android?

I'm pretty good at following instructions and flashed my Sprint Vogue with WM6.5 using egzthunder1's guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=592964

I'm really impressed by the custom ROMs but want to try Android.

Does every function work by using this guide? I.e. GPS, voice command, camera etc?

Just wondering because flashing to WM6.5 was the first time I flashed my Vogue.

Thanks

blacki3

May 11, 2010
Bucharest
i've followed your steps, and after step 16...nothing happens....i get some code written..then a row that sais ANDROID and that it is. And i just waiiiiiiitttt.....and nothing happens.

P.S: I think there were some errors in the process but i know for sure that i saw written in android installed and update successful. But now i don't know what to do.

And i've tried this android in sd mode and it is very nice and i really want to make it happen. But i am trying for 3 days and i am still with windows :))
Some help pls.

shadowgerm

Mar 6, 2009
Internet doesn't work

My camera still doesn't work, I have the latest NBH file. The camera just crashes whenever I load the app.

Last edited:

zillerman

Nov 2, 2007
Can i install without USB/PC (using SDcard only)

Hey guys, maybe it's posted here but i honestly couldn't find it.

My problem is i have a HTC Touch 3450 (upped to 6.5) but the USB port is now screwed (physically broken, not software related).

So can i do this Android rom (NaND) install entirely from an SD card (no connection to a PC)? If so, any links would be a big help.

Many thx in advance

Zill

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Hey guys, maybe it's posted here but i honestly couldn't find it.

My problem is i have a HTC Touch 3450 (upped to 6.5) but the USB port is now screwed (physically broken, not software related).

So can i do this Android rom (NaND) install entirely from an SD card (no connection to a PC)? If so, any links would be a big help.

Many thx in advance

Zill

Sure. For the Vogue you would put the 320x240 NBH image on a SD card that is 2GB or smaller, formatted FAT32. Name the file VOGUIMG.NBH. Hold down power, camera, and reset, until the gray screen appears, then you will be able to flash the NBH prep file. Take the small SD card out, and put in an SDHC card (2GB or higher) with the androindinstall.tar file on it in the proper folder, as outlined in the first post, then go from there.

I have never done that, but those would theoretically be the steps. Also, you have a totally different device, so the vogue 240x320 file might not work for you.

good luck.

Last edited:

cvillaf1

Jun 11, 2009
Hormiguero
I changed my htc mp6900sp from sprint to a htc evo shift. I kept the 6900 and I am interested in flashing to android. Thing is that this phone does not come with wifi features but it does have a side slot for memory card (2gb). Can it be done? Is there a way to make this phone wifi? I don't need it as a phone (not connected) just want it for my kids to fool around and lay off of my Evo.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
I changed my htc mp6900sp from sprint to a htc evo shift. I kept the 6900 and I am interested in flashing to android. Thing is that this phone does not come with wifi features but it does have a side slot for memory card (2gb). Can it be done? Is there a way to make this phone wifi? I don't need it as a phone (not connected) just want it for my kids to fool around and lay off of my Evo.

In short...no. there is no physical WiFi chip in the CDMA version (Sprint/Verizon/Alltel) of the phone. Only the GSM flavor has a wick chip. Now you could get one of those sd powered wick cards, but iyou are giving it to your kids to play withit will break off in less than a day probably. You should just flash it via USB and load it up with a bunch of local games. There are tons of offline games you could install that don't need a connection if you are really wanting to make it just a kids pda basically.

Reactions: cvillaf1

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Thanks for the quick response, so can it be flashed to android? What is a good web page to get games?

http://www.filecrop.com/ just search for the android program you want, then type "apk" after it. For example, if I want pacman, i would search for "pacman apk". Then you can download directly from the links it finds. APK files are like EXEs in Windows, or like DMGs on Macs...installer files for programs or games on Android.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Thanks for the quick response, so can it be flashed to android? What is a good web page to get games?

To answer your first question - YES, it can be flashed...

XV6900 = Verizon Touch = HTC Touch = HTC Vogue = Sprint Touch = GSM Touch = Alltel Touch, etc...

They are all just different names for the same phone. That is the phone this guide was designed for.

Last edited:

eXDee

Mar 23, 2009
Hi,
I'm getting this issue that other people seem to have got, everyone else seems to just flash an updated WM rom to fix it, but it isnt working.

Rebooting in 3 seconds..
mdp_dma_to_mddi : busy

I have tried RUU_PPST_Vogue_SPRINT_WWE_3.03.651.4_2_Radio_3.42.30_AM_NV_2.04_Ship.exe as well as RUU_Vogue_4350_TELUS_WWE_3.07.661.1_Radio_4350H_3.41.00_Ship_withPPSTPatch1.20.exe, ive tried flashing just the Bell 3.42.50 radio and i've tried NFSFAN's WM6.5 1.00 FINAL ROM.

All have the same result. with this error

Any ideas?

cvillaf1

Jun 11, 2009
Hormiguero
Once again thanks. Sorry newby. I read in the tread "make sure your phone is provisioned (you can get and receive calls), and that you can use data (if you have a data plan)". As mentioned in prior tread I changed phones and no longer have sevice on this phone (MP6900sp). Can it still be done?

goducks3620

Aug 17, 2009
Miami
Can what be done? You can flash it, but android with no internet is not all that useful.

Sent from my Full Android on Vogue using XDA App

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
crobs808 said:
To answer your first question - YES, it can be flashed...

XV6900 = Verizon Touch = HTC Touch = HTC Vogue = Sprint Touch = GSM Touch = Alltel Touch, etc...

They are all just different names for the same phone. That is the phone this guide was designed for.

Erm -
Vogue != GSM touch.
Elf/elfin=GSM touch.

teiwaz9470

Apr 27, 2010
Now, put your Vogue in bootloader mode: Hold down power, camera, and the small reset hole (with your stylus), until you see the tri-color screen, and it says "Serial" at the bottom

kann mir das bitte jemand übersetzen ?
mein englisch is ziemlich mies

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
crobs808 said:
My point was that this process does not care if you have CDMA or GSM. This works with ALL "HTC Touch" rebrands/models.

No, it does not. The GSM Touch (elf/elfin) has a completely different chipset (omap) than the CDMA Touch (vogue) and WILL NOT work with this port. I can't believe I'm still having to clarify this two years later.

The only GSM phones this supports are Kaiser and Polaris.

Last edited:

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
No, it does not. The GSM Touch (elf/elfin) has a completely different chipset (omap) than the CDMA Touch (vogue) and WILL NOT work with this port. I can't believe I'm still having to clarify this two years later.

The only GSM phones this supports are Kaiser and Polaris.

I have performed this exact process on a friend's Elf and he still uses it on AT&T. That would seem to deny your claim.

At any rate, I am surprised people still use this. I moved on to the DroidX a while ago, and haven't thought about the HTC Touch since. Once you go with a far superior device, it is hard to look back. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have created this post because I was honestly baffled by the NAND install threads for the Vogue that I found, that claimed to be "straightforward" and simple, but the people who wrote them leave a lot of gaps that you have to figure out. Perhaps they have been doing it for so long now, that they just 'assume' you will know stuff, so here are step-by-step instructions for someone who has zero experience with Android, and all they know is that they have a Window mobile phone.

So, Here is the NAND install process (will install Android to your internal memory, which is much better than running from the SD card) for the HTC Vogue (240x320), CDMA or GSM. I believe this is the most straightforward tutorial on this entire site, and all files you need are provided in this post; no file-hunting necessary like with other tutorials. Keep in mind, this process will wipe your internal memory and replace it with Android, so you should backup any personal files you have stored on the phone. If you have a CDMA phone (Verizon, Sprint, etc.) then you should make sure to backup your Contacts using a 3rd party program. GSM phones however (ATT, T-Mobile, etc.), typically store their contacts to a SIM card, which is not altered by this process. You do not need to backup your SD card, since it is also not altered when installing Android.

Dependencies: This process works for any ROM release that provides an "androidinstall.tar" file in their download package.

First and foremost, make sure you have unlocked your phone ("2.31 CoKe" HardSPL for CDMA Vogues). If you have ever flashed a custom Windows ROM from this site or ppcgeeks.com, to your device, then you most likely already have an unlocked phone. If not, perform the steps HERE first, before continuing AND flash to a custom Windows Mobile ROM (non-stock) and make sure your phone is provisioned (you can get and receive calls), and that you can use data (if you have a data plan).

1. Wipe your SD card, and make sure it is formatted FAT32
    2. Create a new folder in the root of the SD card called "andboot"
    3. Download the ROM release package of your choice (for example, you can download the 240x320 version of Myn’s Warm Donut - [RLS 5 - 04/24/2010] HERE)
    4. Extract files from STEP 3 and put ONLY the "androidinstall.tar" file in the andboot folder on the SD card, by itself (no other files are needed)
    5. You are DONE putting files on your SD card. At this point, put the SD card into your phone.
    6. Download the latest NBH file that begins with "voguimg-240x320-..." (needed for all Vogue Android ROMs): HERE
    7. Download the RUU Update Utility (needed for all Vogue Android ROMs): HERE
    8. Rename the NBH file to from STEP 6 to "RUU_signed.nbh" and place it inside the folder with all the other files from STEP 7
    9. Now, put your Vogue in bootloader mode: Hold down power, camera, and the small reset hole (with your stylus), until you see the tri-color screen, and it says "Serial" at the bottom
    10. Plug your phone into your computer, and the "Serial" text should change the "USB"
    11. Now, run the "ROMUpdateUtility.exe" from STEP 7, and click the "Next" or "OK" buttons to go through the flash/ROM update process, until your phone shows a progress bar on its screen and is updating.
    12. As soon as that progress bar finishes the phone will automatically reboot; at this point unplug the phone from the computer
    13. Now, watch carefully during the Linux boot process...there will be a quick message that says "Hold down Volume Up or D Pad". Just press and hold the center D-Pad button until you see the screen change to the installer menu. If you happen to miss it, and it continues loading, then just use your stylus to press the reset button (it will not hurt the phone or any files to try again as many times as you need to.)
    14. You will now see a black and white menu. Select option 1, to "Install..."
    15. Select "Yes" on the recommended prompt that follows
    16. Once it says the Install process is complete and it returns you to the menu, just reboot your phone with the reset button
    17. At this point just WAIT. Do NOT press the volume up button again, and do not do anything until you see the Android desktop. You may get an error saying that it could not find a file or something like that, but just ignore it...do not get impatient! Pretty soon the Android progress bar will show on the screen (might take up to 5 minutes), then the Android desktop will load.

DONE. Enjoy Android on your Vogue! You can now delete all the files on the SD card if you wish...Android will recreate anything it needs on boot-up each time.

MASS STORAGE FIX (USB to PC): You can get the Mass Storage fix HERE so that your storage card will show up as a drive on your computer. This is a widget, and not ROM specific, so should work for any Android ROM.

KAISER WI-FI FIX (for the Kaiser phone ONLY!): Download the Wi-Fi fix HERE (intended for use with 'myn's Warm Eclair RLS1', linked in STEP 3)

I do not ask for donations, just say 'Thanks' if this helped you. :)

UPDATE:
    This Thread is now featured on Wired.com's News Site!! Link: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/windows-mobile-android/
    Excellent explanation, MrKite, thank you Again
    VOGUIMG.NBH should be latest for Froyo, if going to Froyo, yes? I mean say 240X320 file? Just rename it properly

androidinstall.tgz latest from whichever version I want?

I think I might try this Android stuff on Nand.

FroYo nbh for froyo build, yes

I personally like 240x320 but I'm sure you'd find LOTS of people who don't

latest androidinstall.tgz from fresh froyo, or incubus' super froyo.

i think you'll like it. :)
    I can't remember if one can do this, but can I flash Android to my Vogue using just an sdcard?
    If so, what files are required for the card and does it have to be 1gb fat32?

It has to be a non-sdhc card. You need a voguimg.nbh on the root, then go in to bootloade

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App
    More specifically, hold power and camera, then push and release the reset button, wait for tricolor, then release power and camera.

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App
    http://www.mediafire.com/?q4chsc1jmy1rb

I mirrored the latest of the two best resolutions
    I had them in my Development folder
    enjoy!!!