How the heck do I change my windows live ID country?!

Search This thread

jubbing

Oct 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Ive had this hotmal account for over 9 years now, and I did not realise it has been set to USA (it was on that by default I think). Everything is linked to this account - my xbox account, my msn, my windows phone account, my zune hd account, my emails, my contacts etc... and its never been a problem.

My problem is when I was trying to buy an item in the Zune marketplace, it wouldn't let me put my credit card in because it can only be from USA, not Australia, which is where I live. Making a new account would absolutely be the worst thing I can think of and is an unacceptable solution from my point of view, this account has too much.

So how do I go about changing the account country from USA to Australia? Any help on this matter will be highly appreciated! Or am I screwed, or is there some workaround I can go with for the time being apart from hard resetting my phone. Would buying xbox live credit points from someone in the usa allow me to do the work around? I presume since I'm with an American account if I can fix that up, I can actually purchase music as well in Australia as well as games?

Thanks!

sHAYM4N

Apr 1, 2011
Halifax
Have you had your Nodo update? I thought I saw something in the changelist that applied to this?

Sent from my OMNIA7 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Phyx

Apr 20, 2010
You can't change it. This has always been a point of contention with passport services. Once your billing region is set on account creation it can never be changed again. Ever.

I have the exact same problem, Have had for years now with my xbox. You're only option is to create a new account.

I've contacted Microsoft before about this and you get spun some nonsense about it being "impossible" to change.

jubbing

Oct 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
No no-do update for my omnia 7 yet.

And if I do have to create a new account, how the heck do I even sign out. If only there was a way to *fake* an American card via paypal or something. You know.. anything.

Phyx

Apr 20, 2010
Unfortunately to remove the "Primary" account you have to factory reset the phone. As far as I know. It's because everything (xbox, zune, market place) is tied to it.

I don't think the country information is encoded in the card number http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_card_numbers as credit cards like Visa and MasterCard are not a national card. My guess is they query a central database which has the country of issue. As such I think it's hard if not impossible to fake.

WMGreenhorn

Dec 14, 2009
Prague
Hello,

Let me suggest you a little trick...

1. Go to support.xbox.com
2. Log in :)
3. Click on My Account (top right)
4. Right down, the very last option - Manage Account Region
5. There you can change your country to your desired one

I did work for me and I hope it will help you...

Best regards,

Arnie

DJBlaster-303

Aug 21, 2011
Bologna
Did you sort out the problem in some way??? I am interested because I didn't put CC information yet for the marketplace and my main hotmail account is a .com registered in 1998 and i'm in Italy I have another one (.it) but I did it just for paypal

kieboy

Dec 5, 2008
Regina
Ive had this hotmal account for over 9 years now, and I did not realise it has been set to USA (it was on that by default I think). Everything is linked to this account - my xbox account, my msn, my windows phone account, my zune hd account, my emails, my contacts etc... and its never been a problem.

My problem is when I was trying to buy an item in the Zune marketplace, it wouldn't let me put my credit card in because it can only be from USA, not Australia, which is where I live. Making a new account would absolutely be the worst thing I can think of and is an unacceptable solution from my point of view, this account has too much.

So how do I go about changing the account country from USA to Australia? Any help on this matter will be highly appreciated! Or am I screwed, or is there some workaround I can go with for the time being apart from hard resetting my phone. Would buying xbox live credit points from someone in the usa allow me to do the work around? I presume since I'm with an American account if I can fix that up, I can actually purchase music as well in Australia as well as games?

Thanks!

You simply can't.

mikelward

Jul 30, 2010
Sunnyvale
Hello,

Worked for me! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

Did you try WMGreenhorn's suggestion above?

Reactions: boril

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I did work for me and I hope it will help you...

Best regards,

Arnie
    Hello,

Worked for me! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

Did you try WMGreenhorn's suggestion above?