Get an Evo 3D or Galaxy S II?

Search This thread

sharkonland

Jul 15, 2010
NYC
So I was 99.9% certain I was going to purchase the Samsung Galaxy S II, but now that ive seen the evo 3d, im stuck between these 2 devices.

Spec wise there pretty similar

Both have 4.3" displays
Both shoot 1080p and have ffc
Both are 1.2ghz Dual-core
Both have 1gb ram
Both have hdmi out

Only obvious difference is evo has 3d cam and 3d display but galaxy 2 diaplay is wayyy batter in terms of quality not res.

Build quality of htc evo 3d will be better, im sure, but the GSII is like half the thickness and very light, so thats sort of a draw. Release is around the same time and im sure price wont differ that much.

Which one should a person choose considering the whole 3d thing is sort of a gimmick and im going to barely make use of it???

sharkonland

Jul 15, 2010
NYC
And how exactly do you know the Galaxy's screen is waaayyy better?
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I had galaxy s and have desire hd currently and the s-amoled is much much better than the DHD lcd and the evo also uses lcd. On top of that, the s-amoled plus is big improvement over the samoled so its common sense. Also ive seen comparison shots of lcd vs s-amoled vs s-amoled plus vs retina and samoled plus is easily the best.

Reactions: Clay333

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
HTC = Sense UI, if you buy LG, Samsung or any other manufacturer you will never see Sense roms. Look at Samsung Galaxy S series, 4G, Nexus S etc... all they have is AOSP roms like CM7, Miui etc.. no Sense due to close source from htc, now if you buy HTC phone you can have both worlds Sense UI and AOSP roms.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App

MiKA7

Nov 28, 2008
I had galaxy s and have desire hd currently and the s-amoled is much much better than the DHD lcd and the evo also uses lcd. On top of that, the s-amoled plus is big improvement over the samoled so its common sense. Also ive seen comparison shots of lcd vs s-amoled vs s-amoled plus vs retina and samoled plus is easily the best.

I think Evo 3d uses s-lcd.. which is better than the DHD lcd..

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

Bukem75

Feb 12, 2008
Qualifying question I have is: Do you know that the Galaxy S II is coming to Sprint (hopefully without a hardware keyboard)? If yes, will it come out before the Evo 3D?

sharkonland

Jul 15, 2010
NYC
I think Evo 3d uses s-lcd.. which is better than the DHD lcd..

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

Yeah, there was a dilemma at first but they confirmed our DHD's come with s-lcd.

about the release date from what Ive heard, the sgs2 is coming out for verizon, tmobile and sprint around june, and evo 3d is also supposedly coming out in june but I think it might be sooner since theres and htc event for the 12th or 14th and pre orders might start soon but im not sure if its for the htc pyramid or evo3d. So who knows maybe itll be out sooner

iSaint

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix, Maryland
I Have an Epic right now... and honestly not even thinking about the SGS2 ..

Why the build quality is **** the keyboard causes the screen to wobble everytime i touch it.

Samsung sucks @ Updates...

the drivers are stupid...

alot more development behind the Evo...

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
I Have an Epic right now... and honestly not even thinking about the SGS2 ..

Why the build quality is **** the keyboard causes the screen to wobble everytime i touch it.

Samsung sucks @ Updates...

the drivers are stupid...

alot more development behind the Evo...

+1 SamSux = piece of plastic crap + Touchwiz ew....

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
That's where rooting your phone comes in handy ;)

Rooting or unlock is not a problem, HTC is close source period. You don't believe me? Look on XDA any SamSux or LG they don't have no Sense ui period don't you think other dev have try to port Sense to samsug? It's useless, check all samsux on xda tell me which model have Sense ui? :)

Xandlinger

Feb 10, 2010
I think it depends on which SG2 is available to you, will it be the Tegra 2 or Samsung Orion. The Tegra 2 is very underwhelming, but the Orion is impressive.

If it's the Tegra 2 SG2 (I think Europe is still getting these) get the Evo 3D instead. If you can nab the Orion SG2, get that one.

And the lack of Sense argument is invalid, since the SG2 will have Touchwiz, which Sense phones lack. Some people like Sense, some people hate it. Some people like Touchwiz, some people hate it. Having one or the other isn't really a drawback/benefit.

Personally, I would go with the SG2 (I dislike Sense a little bit more than Touchwiz), assuming Samsung doesn't use a ****ty file system again like the first series.

And really, the whole HTC vs. Samsung arguments are getting real old, real fast. We get it, Touchwiz and the plastic is not your cup of tea. However, some people love it. I love the feel of the Nexus S MUCH more than the feel of the Nexus One, but I like the feel of the DHD more than the feel of the.. Captivate. Preference. Saying "Samsux" is just childish.

Perhaps the only thing I hate about Android is that the community is split between HTC, Samsung or Motorola. There is no middle ground, just like iPhone vs. Android. It's one or the other and people will incessantly argue which is better. It's all preference guys, there is no need to impose your preferences on others so harshly, especially when we are all apart of the same community.

Edit: I also prefer SAMOLED to SLCD, so I am assuming I will love the SAMOLED+ more than the SLCD 3D of the Evo 3D, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
@XanLinder, it's not about which is better. I'm just pointing out the facts that if you like TouchWiz than get Samsung or Sense than get HTC. You forgot this is htc section HTC = SENSE

Edit: I'm just saying that if you buy other manufacturers don't complain about there's no dev, roms. Look at the Nexus S development section they all thought just because it's a Google phone and it'll be supported by dev just like N1. But it's not they forget who make the Nexus One. Now they're moaning and *****ing cause they want Sense UI. lmao

Last edited:

robt772000

Mar 21, 2010
Super Amoled + at 4.3in on the SGS2 will have a lower resolution than the Evo 3D's qHD resolution of 540x960. I will go for the Evo. You will see the pixels on the SGS2. They dropped the ball with resolution.

LoveisPeace2012

Jun 18, 2010
Super Amoled + at 4.3in on the SGS2 will have a lower resolution than the Evo 3D's qHD resolution of 540x960. I will go for the Evo. You will see the pixels on the SGS2. They dropped the ball with resolution.

Not necessarily because the evo will provably have pentile matrix and the new super amplest plus has 50 percent more subpixels per pixel. Early reviews All have praised the galaxy s2s display, slcd is good but anemic in terms of colors and vibrancy compared to super amoled

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think it depends on which SG2 is available to you, will it be the Tegra 2 or Samsung Orion. The Tegra 2 is very underwhelming, but the Orion is impressive.

If it's the Tegra 2 SG2 (I think Europe is still getting these) get the Evo 3D instead. If you can nab the Orion SG2, get that one.

And the lack of Sense argument is invalid, since the SG2 will have Touchwiz, which Sense phones lack. Some people like Sense, some people hate it. Some people like Touchwiz, some people hate it. Having one or the other isn't really a drawback/benefit.

Personally, I would go with the SG2 (I dislike Sense a little bit more than Touchwiz), assuming Samsung doesn't use a ****ty file system again like the first series.

And really, the whole HTC vs. Samsung arguments are getting real old, real fast. We get it, Touchwiz and the plastic is not your cup of tea. However, some people love it. I love the feel of the Nexus S MUCH more than the feel of the Nexus One, but I like the feel of the DHD more than the feel of the.. Captivate. Preference. Saying "Samsux" is just childish.

Perhaps the only thing I hate about Android is that the community is split between HTC, Samsung or Motorola. There is no middle ground, just like iPhone vs. Android. It's one or the other and people will incessantly argue which is better. It's all preference guys, there is no need to impose your preferences on others so harshly, especially when we are all apart of the same community.

Edit: I also prefer SAMOLED to SLCD, so I am assuming I will love the SAMOLED+ more than the SLCD 3D of the Evo 3D, but I could be wrong.
    HTC vs Samdung vs Women

Seriously? I love the feel of a woman far more than any of these devices!!! They also cum with SENSE and a good "feel". And of course, women are also fully 3D and cum with Gorilla a.r.s.e...I mean glass. Women also accept an Android inside. And you can't beat the memory capacity of a woman!!! Just try it.

They also have dual retina displays. And they have other display modes that are unique and seriously just cannot be beaten by any device...ever. Their connectivity is just mouth-watering and unbelievably sense-ational!!! They also accept dongles inside.

Women also have an automated voice response system that is unparalleled. Volume control is obsolete. The weight and thickness varies depending on personal tastes. Personally I prefer them to be on the leaner and more top heavy side. They have a few g-spots..errr....g-sensors or three! They also have fricking built-in GPS.
    Although not pocketable, they will follow you everywhere anyway.

Their form factor varies a lot, so you have to pick the right form factor for complete satisfaction. Women also have many applications, but only two or three are really important and essential. Further applications may be downloaded if required.

So if in doubt, just pick a woman over HTC or Samdung for a lot more satisfaction!!
    They also have a unique built-in system called emotional response activation protocol or ERAP.
    Finally, women are fully accessorisable. The choices are endless.

See attachment for comparison table
    That's where rooting your phone comes in handy ;)

Rooting won't solve the ****ty plastic problem

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    saw this post in the sgsII forum had to share lol
    I read about all the features of the phone, it all got me very excited but some things are not working...

First of all, it doesn't bring me beer when I use vlingo and say " get me beer"

Second of all, Crysis 2 is not running at all. Phone's not that fast..

Last point: I put my phone into airplane mode, threw it in the air.....
    Worst transformer ever..... :(

The rest is working pretty damn fine, so its maybe not a total failure. What are you disappointed about?
    Verizon? That means locked!

Haven't we learned our lesson? The carriers have nothing to do with locking phones.