[Q] No HSPA+ or AT&T 3G support?

Search This thread

seanthegeek

Dec 8, 2009
Hi,

Unless I'm reading something wrong on the HTC Sensation's specification page, it looks like it does not support HSPA+ or AT&T 3G bands:

Network
HSPA/WCDMA:

* Europe/Asia/T-Mobile US: 900/AWS/2100 MHz

Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

* 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Network bands in regions other than Europe and Asia Pacific may be different, depending on the mobile operator and your location. Please check with your mobile operator.

Yet Engadget calls it the "HTC Sensation 4G" with HSPA+. There is no mention if it would support AT&Ts network as well.

The next phone I get will have to support AT&T's bands as well, as I don't want to replace it at the end of the merger, if it occurs.

Can someone clarify this situation? Are there two sensations?

Thracks

May 9, 2010
Austin
The Sensation does not support AT&T's network. So far, the only model that's been produced works for T-Mobile in the US, and T-Mobile only.

As for the HSPA situation, I find it hard to believe that the Sensation doesn't have HSPA+, even though their own site simply says HSPA.

Reactions: seanthegeek

Thracks

May 9, 2010
Austin
A phone of equal class from AT&T would be the Atrix 4G. Pretty sure nobody wants to choose between an encrypted bootloader or being stuck on 2G. :/

seanthegeek

Dec 8, 2009
A phone of equal class from AT&T would be the Atrix 4G. Pretty sure nobody wants to choose between an encrypted bootloader or being stuck on 2G. :/
Well the merger wouldn't complete for at least a year from now, so there's no telling what devices would be offered by then. But yes, AT&T does not have a good track record when it comes to openness; so, I'd prefer something like the G2x to anything AT&T would likely offer. True, I would need to take an AT&T phone eventually if I want to stay up to date, but I'd like to avoid that for as long as possible.

2real2141

Mar 26, 2009
Atlanta
If im not mistaken, the european version isn't 4g, but it will be released to tmobile USA as the sensation 4g. I'm assuming it will be equiped with a hspa+ radio.

2real2141

Mar 26, 2009
Atlanta
Right you are. what may be causing confusion, is the fact that on htc's spec sheet it never refers to it as hspa+, nor does it call 14.4Mbs 4g. It's listed next to 3g. Guess they dont consider that 4g speed, which would also explain why tmobile USA is rebranding it as sensation 4g.

t-mizzle

Jan 3, 2010
St. Louis
I asked HTC and they replied that it does not have AT&T 3G bands. However, even if you sign a 2yr contract for the Sensation in summer, there is a lot of time left before AT&T shuts down AWS bands.

When AT&T merged with Alltel it took a while before they shut down Alltel bands and they gave customers comparable smartphones. Chances are, the phones handed out by AT&T will be better then Sensation because the merger won't happen for a while and smartphones age very fast.

The merger is ~18-24 months away. Even phones that will come out in 12 months will be much better than anything that's on the market now.

http://www.att.com/mergers/alltel/index.jsp

There is a Alltel customers thread on Howard forums and their best phone was Desire, the replacements AT&T gave them were not bad. Note that any Android phones that AT&T hands out will have 3rd party apps disabled as well as crippled upload speed unless AT&T changes this which I doubt they will.

Hog Milanese

Nov 3, 2010
HTC is retarded to not support the 850 band on all phones going forward.

They're going to be left in the dust if they don't support AT&T.

mark manning

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee
Staff member
Apr 7, 2010
Nusquam et ubique

Actually they are smart. ATT already said they will replace T-mobile phones with new ones. If they support ATT bands then there is no need to replace them. If they don't ATT has to buy millions of phones from them. So sir good argument but you should understand business better

Sent from my Royal Glacier powered XDA app

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
i really want to get this phone and use it with the at &t bands, i know the sensation 4g is meant to be used with t mobile but what about the international version? will it work on at & t bands?

vinnyjr

Jul 25, 2010
Boston
Why? ATT already said they are gonna give T-Mobile subscribers free phones

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App

Why would any company make a great phone to be just thrown away n a short time. I think it's just wasteful, great hardware with no use. That is truely sad this day in age we can make expensive hardware and just toss it aside. Don't like it at all, I love this phone but why even build it without AT&T radio bands? As I said poor planning and very wasteful. Pisses me off that such great hardware gets tossed aside.

vinnyjr

Jul 25, 2010
Boston

Why do you say that? They figure they will sell twice as many phones. Before and after the buy out. I think it is disgusting and wasteful to throw away such a great made piece of hardware. Very sad IMO that any company can just make a piece of hardware for basicly just a 6 month deal, maybe a little longer. This is the phone that the hard core T-Mobile customer has been waiting for. Now the damn thing is just about to launch and it is only good for a few lousy months. Freaken disgusting and pathetic. Why even bother, that is why anyone with any sense of responsibility would add AT&T bands to this hardware, doesn't even make sense to me. It is just so wasteful to me.

kgbkny

Aug 15, 2009
New York
The buyout will take at least 12-18 months to complete. When it comes to large corporate mergers, there is a lot of regulatory red tape to be navigated. After the buyout is complete (if it's even approved to begin with), it will take at least a couple of more years for AT&T to repurpose T-Mobile's frequencies.

Relax, guys. We'll be able to use the Sensation for at least 2-3 years. Speaking of which, does anyone even keep phones for that long nowadays?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Sensation does not support AT&T's network. So far, the only model that's been produced works for T-Mobile in the US, and T-Mobile only.

As for the HSPA situation, I find it hard to believe that the Sensation doesn't have HSPA+, even though their own site simply says HSPA.